Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice requested about getting Jordan rookie graded

RE: Advice requested about getting Jordan rookie graded
wow, very impressive

(12-12-2013, 06:48 AM)hercules21 Wrote: wow, very impressive
Thanks.
In my opinion (which in this case is very subjective and under-informed) the card on the right is the superior of the two. If anyone had to hazard a guess, what would you grade these at (I realize the pictures are a bit fuzzy)? 8.5 on the left and maybe 9.5 on the right? Just curious what other more experienced collectors see that my untrained eye does not.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

(12-12-2013, 10:51 AM)anhaga68 Wrote: Thanks.
In my opinion (which in this case is very subjective and under-informed) the card on the right is the superior of the two. If anyone had to hazard a guess, what would you grade these at (I realize the pictures are a bit fuzzy)? 8.5 on the left and maybe 9.5 on the right? Just curious what other more experienced collectors see that my untrained eye does not.
I was going to say this before, but I didn't want to get you down. I think the one on the right is off-centered top to bottom.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Very tough issue to grade accurately- Dustin (deez)is good on that series but I haven't seen him post in a long time .

The one on the left is faded which will detract substantially from the final grade. The one on the right is the better candidate for a higher grade. Centering is still off L-R my guess is an 8.5 to 9.0

Here is one to compare it to if it helps (mine graded years ago)

Jeff

[Image: jordanrookie.jpg]

(12-12-2013, 11:08 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I was going to say this before, but I didn't want to get you down. I think the one on the right is off-centered top to bottom.
Thank you for the input, I will look closer. No worries about getting me down. I am a realist and no matter how much I might wish something, in the end you can only count on the facts (guess that is my history degree talking). That being said, I am just curious what other more experienced collectors see or don't see, as it has been close to 20 years since I was "active" in card collecting. At some point I will get these professionally graded and slabbed, but for now just curious and wanting to learn what to look for.
(12-12-2013, 11:44 AM)jeffv96masters Wrote: Very tough issue to grade accurately- Dustin (deez)is good on that series but I haven't seen him post in a long time .

The one on the left is faded which will detract substantially from the final grade. The one on the right is the better candidate for a higher grade. Centering is still off L-R my guess is an 8.5 to 9.0

Here is one to compare it to if it helps (mine graded years ago)

Jeff

[Image: jordanrookie.jpg]
Thank you for the input and the pic. I will compare mine and see what I can learn. There is so much to learn and look for when grading, but I am learning. Thanks again.
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Honestly, you have THE basketball rookie card. If you were my neighbor I would have already broken into your house and had them graded for you. I'm actually about to do that to this lady my mom knows who claims to have a Mantle rookie and lives next to water in a flood zone.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

One more picture. I can really see the centering now. Sorry the quality of the picture isn't great, trying the best with my tablet (colors are more vibrant on actual card). Wondering if anyone out there uses pictures to do their own rough grading.
[Image: 20131212_125737_zps466231ba.jpg]

I agree with the top to bottom assessment. Really nice card though! GL with grading it.

I don't really want to hijack this thread but I also have a jordan im thinking will grade quite high, maybe even a 9.5. The pics are a lil blurry but I can tell you there are 2 very small gloss circles on the border that are hard to see and the edges (no chipping whatsoever) and corners look great.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y314...0e2ad9.png

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y314...378a58.png

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y314...ac7eef.jpg

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y314...44f32e.jpg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)