`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yasiel Puig thoughts?

RE: Yasiel Puig thoughts?
I think when all is said and done he will rank right up there with Darryl Strawberry.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(12-13-2013, 09:12 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: whoa whoa whoa....lets not invoke the name of the best bad ball hitter in the past 4 decades. come on now....

when we talk "free swingers", there a scale from "vlady" to oh, lets just go with "dan uggla"

im not saying puig is Uggla in the free swing spectrum, but he aint no vladdy. he isnt close

(remember, we are talking about free swinging, not how good a player)

Puig, in terms of free swinging, is probably - right now - a shade towards vladdy more than uggla, but definitely in the middle
actually, looking at the numbers again:

puig would have been the 22nd worst player in baseball for k%
his babips would have been the second highest in the league

(i know some folks dont understand babips: a primer:

measures how many of a batter’s balls in play go for hits. a consistently high or low BABIP is hard to maintain, therefore, BABIP can be used to spot fluky seasons. While typically around 30% of all balls in play fall for hits, there are three main variables that can affect BABIP rates for individual players:

Defense, luck, and changes in talent level.

If a batter has a very high or very low BABIP, it means that whatever the reason for the spike (whether it’s defense, luck, or slight skill changes), that player will regress back toward their career BABIP rate.

i take what i said above back: he's a shade close to uggla in terms of free swinging, and his batting average could take a HUGE hit next year. If he hits 300, it would be shocking. considering his walk %, it wqould be shocking to see him have a OBP of over 345 (compared to 391 last year)
Speed is also a factor in BABIP...really fast players can beat out more grounders for hits
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(12-13-2013, 01:15 PM)iconms Wrote: Speed is also a factor in BABIP...really fast players can beat out more grounders for hits
speed is a factor, but .383 is still the second highest in all of baseball. his normal babips will have to be proven, but nobody sustains a .380 babips

babe ruth had a career babips of .340, for example. babe freakin ruth

(12-13-2013, 01:32 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: speed is a factor, but .383 is still the second highest in all of baseball. his normal babips will have to be proven, but nobody sustains a .380 babips

babe ruth had a career babips of .340, for example. babe freakin ruth
I know Puig's BABIP is unsustainable. Pretty sure I was the first one to bring that up in the thread. Was just speaking generallly about BABIP.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

Yeah, I agree his BA will drop to probably around 280 due to babip. I also think he will steal quite a few more bases as he learns how to run the base paths better. I think he could reach 30 sb/30 hrs sooner or later.
Stupid people do stupid things
Smart people outsmart each other.

(12-13-2013, 09:12 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i take what i said above back: he's a shade close to uggla in terms of free swinging, and his batting average could take a HUGE hit next year. If he hits 300, it would be shocking. considering his walk %, it wqould be shocking to see him have a OBP of over 345 (compared to 391 last year)
What if he isn't the "norm"? Possible correct? Did Trout have a soph. slump (when they played him in center he hit .369...bye-bye Peter!)? I would think his walk % increases and I would be suprised if he Didn't hit better than .300

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-13-2013, 05:06 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: What if he isn't the "norm"? Possible correct? Did Trout have a soph. slump (when they played him in center he hit .369...bye-bye Peter!)? I would think his walk % increases and I would be suprised if he Didn't hit better than .300
the big difference between trout and puig is the style of hitter: trout is a damned disciplined hitter for a kid so young. also, puig does have a couple holes in his swing...i havent seen the same with trout

(12-13-2013, 05:30 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: the big difference between trout and puig is the style of hitter: trout is a damned disciplined hitter for a kid so young. also, puig does have a couple holes in his swing...i havent seen the same with trout
well put points....we will just have to see.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(12-13-2013, 05:06 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: What if he isn't the "norm"? Possible correct? Did Trout have a soph. slump (when they played him in center he hit .369...bye-bye Peter!)? I would think his walk % increases and I would be suprised if he Didn't hit better than .300
Did somebody mention Trout and Pweeg in the same sentence?

Well, since they did, have some of this right here!

[Image: PweegTrout_zpsba94ba54.jpg]

Sorry, had to take them for a spin after putting the SSP back in the garage, LOL.

Seriously, here's my honest take on Puig ... he could go either way.

If he matures (first and foremost) and "figures it out" as far as the nuances of working pitchers, being disciplined at the plate and putting the work in on defense, I honestly believe the sky's the limit for him.

I haven't seen such a freakish athlete since Bo Jackson — but as we know, what separates baseball from all other sports is the game within the game.

He could also go the other way ... flash in the pan, hot head, pitchers figure him out, teammates get tired of him — one thing that annoyed me about a couple of the Dodgers games on Fox this year was that they showed Puig and Gonzalez getting into it in the dugout on more than one occasion, but tried to pass it off as if they were best buddies. Even if they are/were, common sense tells you that whole thing would get very old very fast.

I don't know, either way, every time I look at his cards I think how much fun he made it this year — I mean, the Dodgers were literally dead in the water and Mattingly was answering questions about his job every day right before they called Puig up.

Say what you will about how the playoffs shook out, but "Dodgers" and "playoffs" in the same sentence wasn't even a remote possibility before he got there.