`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
2014 Hall of Fame Ballot

RE: 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot
(12-02-2013, 04:52 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: WAR?

JAWS?

OPS?

OPS+?

I've never seen these terms, except for on here.

What do they stand for & what do they mean?

The only one that I new was OBP - On Base %
WAR: Wins Above Replacement. Metric that uses a variety of statistics to measure how effective a player was.

JAWS: A metric designed to analyze the legitimacy of a HOF Candidate

OPS: On base plus slugging

OPS+: Adjusts OPS for things like ballpark played in, as stated by Jacoby
Looking for jose reyes in a Mets uniform
REYES CARD COUNT-366

"the other sports are just sports, baseball is a love"

[Image: 6I7b5.png]

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

(12-02-2013, 05:15 PM)gherkin1496 Wrote: WAR: Wins Above Replacement. Metric that uses a variety of statistics to measure how effective a player was.

JAWS: A metric designed to analyze the legitimacy of a HOF Candidate

OPS: On base plus slugging

OPS+: Adjusts OPS for things like ballpark played in, as stated by Jacoby
Thanks.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

1. Barry Bonds
2. Mark McGwire
3. Greg Maddux
4. Frank Thomas
5. Roger Clemens

I don't care what everyone says about the steroids era and players that used it. Selig still has a job so to me these guys Bonds, Clemens and McGwire should be in hands down... I don't care how they get in or how they are labeled we can't pretend that the steroids era didn't go on for 20 plus years and I'm sure there are a couple in the Hall now that were using too.
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(12-02-2013, 05:50 PM)rad_1205 Wrote: 1. Barry Bonds
2. Mark McGwire
3. Greg Maddux
4. Frank Thomas
5. Roger Clemens

I don't care what everyone says about the steroids era and players that used it. Selig still has a job so to me these guys Bonds, Clemens and McGwire should be in hands down... I don't care how they get in or how they are labeled we can't pretend that the steroids era didn't go on for 20 plus years and I'm sure there are a couple in the Hall now that were using too.
mcgwire doesnt have the numbers weven with steroids. JMO. when you factor that the only number that justifies him being a HOFer - his homers - were a product of his cheating....why on earth would you vote for him?

(12-02-2013, 06:37 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: mcgwire doesnt have the numbers weven with steroids. JMO. when you factor that the only number that justifies him being a HOFer - his homers - were a product of his cheating....why on earth would you vote for him?

I don't see how you can say he doesn't have the numbers compared to some of the guys in the hall right now.

To me Barry Larkin doesn't deserve to be in the hall JMO

McGwire may not have the best stats outside of his home runs, but anyone that disagrees with McGwire being the man that got the fans back in the stands after the strike of '94 is crazy. That alone should get him in the hall in my book. Everyone wants to talk about how much steroids ruined the game of baseball, but where the game be without the magically season of 1998. No one remembers bonds and his 400 home runs and 400 stolen bases that year, or Seattle and there crazy run that season, but everyone with remember McGwire and the home run chase. Steroids or not by far one of the most exciting things I've got to witness in my life. So I credit McGwire for reminding people why we love the game.

And one last thing

McGwire won rookie of the year, he hold the single season home run record for a rookie (pre-steroids), he won a golden glove, a couple silver slugger awards, and a World Series ring. Now if that isn't hall of fame worthy I don't know what is.

I don't know you tell me...
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

a single season shouldnt get you in ther HOF. see: roger maris. also, are you also arguing sosa should be in, because he was just as integral to that chase in 1998. and his overall numbers are better than mcgwire

look at the numbers in 1987 - it was the year of the juiced ball. wally joyner, seitzer, etc etc etc. after that, mcgwire's numbers fell precipitously, until he started juicing

if we are talking about impact on the game: im sorry, until someone with class like Buck O'neil is in, then screw mcgwire, clemens, etc.

that came off crankier than i wanted. just a little overloaded on christmas decorations

(12-02-2013, 07:28 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: ... until someone with class like Buck O'neil is in...
Whenever Buck's name comes up I am always reminded of, and amazed that, he is not in the hall.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Tom Glavine
Greg Maddux
Don Mattingly
Mike Piazza
Frank Thomas

Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas
Don Mattingly
Craig Biggio