Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Tearjerker: When Good Cards Go Bad

Today's Tearjerker: When Good Cards Go Bad
Oh, the tales they could tell.

I can tell you I bought the Clemente, Mantle, Mays and Yaz for $1 each back in the early 80s. The Williams was traded from a 9 year-old to an 11 year-old (me) in 1970 and the McCovey came via trade (very low end).

Obviously someone thought Clemente's name should be changed, Mantle was taped up somewhere (a wall? a scrapbook?), Mays probably rode in somebody's pocket, Yaz got a little damp and I'd guess McCovey spent too much time on somebody's workbench as he's showing stains and burn marks.

All damaged yet all treasured.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: Today's Tearjerker: When Good Cards Go Bad
Those are awesome. They have character and backstory. Sure, having them slabbed and graded at a high number would be/is awesome, but they don't carry the history with them.
Kepler

if it wasn't for cards being cared for like that all those years ago, the better looking one's wouldnt be nearly as valuable.

And i'm sure it was a lot cheaper even accounting for inflation to buy cards in that era

Thanks for sharing. Love the old cards with a little wear. Not in this for the money, so I'd rather buy something like these than a slabbed card (though I think graded and slabbed are awesome...I would save a bunch of money). Plus you have great memories...What did ypu give up for the Williams? (LOL)

Was the Clement owned by Robert Cleland?
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(11-20-2013, 12:12 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Thanks for sharing. Love the old cards with a little wear. Not in this for the money, so I'd rather buy something like these than a slabbed card (though I think graded and slabbed are awesome...I would save a bunch of money). Plus you have great memories...What did ypu give up for the Williams? (LOL)

Maybe a wealthy, troubled Bob Cleland is out there somewhere and would pay dearly to have a piece of his untroubled youth returned to him. ....rosebud .... Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Battle scars............
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(11-20-2013, 12:12 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: ...What did ypu give up for the Williams? (LOL)

I probably traded a bunch of 1970 commons for the Williams back in 1970, when they were new cards.

Paging Bob Cleland. I've got your card.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-20-2013, 01:37 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Maybe a wealthy, troubled Bob Cleland is out there somewhere and would pay dearly to have a piece of his untroubled youth returned to him. ....rosebud .... Smile
Awesome............
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Fantastic! I love the history behind them. My uncle gave me his childhood collection a few years ago. Most are 1968-72 baseball with a mix of football, hockey and basketball. None of them are better than NM, and most are worse, but I love them all because they have a story.

Damaged or not, those things are treasures!

In the last year I held copies of the Mays, McCovy, and the Yastrzemski for a local group sub (3 people lol). My hands were shaking as the guy that had them before kept them in those pesky screw downs and I do not submit in screw downs (He also had a 53 Mantle). He agreed to let me remove them and put them in card savers. I used rubber gloves and a sterile surface, and frankly could have used an assistant to dab my forehead because I was sweating with nervousness.

Frankly dude, if you lived nearby and it was your copies, in that condition, I would still be just as nervous taking care of them trying to preserve them as is for you. *Bows* you take care of them beauts!
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram