`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top-loaders vs. 9-pocket pages in Binders?

RE: Top-loaders vs. 9-pocket pages in Binders?
Nothing but binders and pages for me please.

Simple solution for stacking binders on edge:

Wrap all pages in some plastic cling wrap then the binders are good to go standing for years, also a good method if shipping or moving your collection.

Enjoy

(11-15-2013, 04:24 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: with the empty spaces and cards in the monster boxes how do you keep track of what is in the monster box. do you have some sort of place keeper?
The physical location is noted in my database. I am a geek - I built a MySQL database with an Access frontend that tracks my collection. As far as Grace goes I also have a simple spreadsheet with the Beckett checklist. Cards that are in the monster box are just highlighted. I originally had placeholder cards but I switched to this method because when I'm just flipping through looking at the cards I don't necessarily need to see every one in order.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(11-16-2013, 07:14 AM)glassnickels Wrote: The physical location is noted in my database. I am a geek - I built a MySQL database with an Access frontend that tracks my collection. As far as Grace goes I also have a simple spreadsheet with the Beckett checklist. Cards that are in the monster box are just highlighted. I originally had placeholder cards but I switched to this method because when I'm just flipping through looking at the cards I don't necessarily need to see every one in order.

You know what would be an awesome addition to that, a qr barcode that you can scan and pull up a list of what's in the box.....my god I think I just gave everyone a money idea!

(11-15-2013, 10:34 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: can never go overboard when it comes to your collection....gotta keep it organized
my ex could differe with that, i would spend hours sorting through cards, she didnt like it that much, but when she wanted to go through them it was ok

(11-16-2013, 10:31 AM)frozenace3356 Wrote: my ex could differe with that, i would spend hours sorting through cards, she didnt like it that much, but when she wanted to go through them it was ok
maybe its a good thing that she is an ex then huh....

(11-16-2013, 11:55 AM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: maybe its a good thing that she is an ex then huh....
yea, it was kind of annoying she told me this was childish

(11-16-2013, 05:15 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Personally I store most of my PC cards in a 2x2 4 pocket binder. And I store my more expensive and valuable cards in toploaders (or one-touch cases) stored in team bags ready to be shipped off to new homes eventually.
so if you use 4 pockets that means you entire collection is in top loaders?

can we revisit this topic? new member here just re-starting my collection with my son. I collect HoF RC players, players I like, and bb/fb players from Hawaii. I don't generally want to spend more than $20 on a card so many older HoF cards are official reprints and many 70'-90's HoF RC's are not that pricey. I also shoot for the cheapest RC option and generally only keep 1 card per player. I don't need 20 RC versions of Pujols. So my collection isn't that big and is streamlined.

I was keeping my cards in sleeves and top loaders but I too found it difficult to look and liked my youth when I could flip through my cards in binders so I am thinking of going back to binders. I bought those binders which hold 6 toploaders in pages. If anyone is interested in buying them from me let me know. I have two of those binders with a bunch of pages.

Anyways I didn't think you could fit penny sleeves into binder pages so I will have to try that. Also I have been cutting up the toploaders and creating a clear backing to insert with the cards into binder pages to keep the cards from sliding out and creating a somewhat snug fit. I will also store the binders flat.

Any thoughts or comments?

Like you said in your original post, I use binders for low-end and cards that don't exceed X amount in book value. I use top loaders, screw downs, or magnetics for the "money" cards, as you said, or thicker stock cards, and that's just based on whatever I have available. And then those are kept boxed and put away.

Don't over think things.

I do the same thing as you. I collect Jeter and from time to time it is fun to flip through the binder of Jeter cards, I store his relics and autos and rookies in top loaders or one touch magnetic cases. It would take up way too much space to put 700 Jeter cards in penny sleeves and top loaders. I would stick with what you are doing now. Just be careful not to over stuff the binders with pages because if you put too many pages in there, the rings on the binder will leave an indent in the top and or bottom pages.