`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever gotten a second chance at one that got away?

Have you ever gotten a second chance at one that got away?
OK, quick back story ... there used to be a LCS in town where the guy would trade new packs and boxes for singles, and he and I did it so often that it got to the point where he would almost go dollar for dollar with me.

Meaning, a $50 BV card would get me $50 in wax ... pretty crazy.

Suffice it to say, I went overboard and basically traded almost everything I pulled, of course, trying to pull something better.

(Seriously, I traded away autos of guys like Walter Payton, Kevin Garnett, Dr. J, etc. I shudder to think what I should have just kept and been happy with.)

So, one day I pulled a Jason Kidd jersey autograph out of 2003-04 UD Honor Roll (I believe), and owned it for all of about five minutes before trading it.

Then, of course, he closed shop a few months later, and I never got the chance to pull any more cards like that.

Well, tonight, I saw that my local Target had some new retail Hoops out, so I bought four rack packs and pulled this guy ...

[Image: JasonKidd_zps9f071b0c.jpg]

Pretty much an understatement that I was thrilled — notice the numbering, 08/10.

There seems to be a fair amount of autos in retail Hoops this year.

So far, in four blasters and five rack packs, I've pulled the Kidd, a Todd Day/100 (Todd Day?), and an Allen Crabbe/99.

With Kidd and Crabbe being Cal guys, those are pretty decent local pulls.

RE: Have you ever gotten a second chance at one that got away?
Yes I have actually. When I was in 8th grade I helped my best friend and his family roof their house. After 3 days of hard work his mom took us to a card shop. There were 4 boxes of 1997-98 Flair Showcase and his mom said we could each pick one. There were three boxes on their sides and one box on top of those three. Instantly I go for the middle box of the three and then decide to choose the right. Worst mistake ever. Being my friend likes to mess with me he says, "I will take the box you were going to choose first." Out of that box he pulls a MJ Legacy card. The card now books for $2300! I was beyond bummed. I now have the card (another cool story) but a couple years ago I pulled an MJ auto! Not the same card, but it felt like redemption from my poor choice almost 15 years ago.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RJ! good stuff man! Couldn't have happened to a better dude.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

They have a Todd Day auto in a current BBall product? WTF?

wow...a Kidd auto /10 out of a low-end retail product?? That almost feels like a mistake. It also has me highly tempted to go buy a few rack packs at my local target haha. Well-done!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(11-09-2013, 11:32 AM)buckunteer Wrote: wow...a Kidd auto /10 out of a low-end retail product?? That almost feels like a mistake. It also has me highly tempted to go buy a few rack packs at my local target haha. Well-done!
Yeah, seriously. Same here.

Grats on the nice pull, TC!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Actually, yeah. Back when it 1996-97 Topps first hit the stores in Sydney Australia (i was living there at the time), one of the stores I frequented had the Ewing NBA at 50 parallel with no price. I offered $10 on it, but the owner said he'd wait until the beckett came out. Suffice to say, I missed out on that card - then. I picked it up this year in a trade at another site. Man, it looks nice sitting in with the other Ewing Cards from that year of topps.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(11-09-2013, 01:57 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: Yes I have actually. When I was in 8th grade I helped my best friend and his family roof their house. After 3 days of hard work his mom took us to a card shop. There were 4 boxes of 1997-98 Flair Showcase and his mom said we could each pick one. There were three boxes on their sides and one box on top of those three. Instantly I go for the middle box of the three and then decide to choose the right. Worst mistake ever. Being my friend likes to mess with me he says, "I will take the box you were going to choose first." Out of that box he pulls a MJ Legacy card. The card now books for $2300! I was beyond bummed. I now have the card (another cool story) but a couple years ago I pulled an MJ auto! Not the same card, but it felt like redemption from my poor choice almost 15 years ago.
The card gods smiled upon you.
(11-09-2013, 08:34 AM)JMarchand1981 Wrote: RJ! good stuff man! Couldn't have happened to a better dude.
Kind of what I thought, my good man! LOL
(11-09-2013, 09:56 AM)treswatson Wrote: They have a Todd Day auto in a current BBall product? WTF?
That's what I said. The bio on the back starts out "Day played for five teams in an eight-year NBA career ..."

Sweeeeeeet.
(11-09-2013, 11:32 AM)buckunteer Wrote: wow...a Kidd auto /10 out of a low-end retail product?? That almost feels like a mistake. It also has me highly tempted to go buy a few rack packs at my local target haha. Well-done!
Yeah, basically I've spent about $110 on retail Hoops, so basically the equivalent of one hobby box, and pulled three autos, including the Kidd/10.
(11-10-2013, 06:22 PM)taffster74 Wrote: Actually, yeah. Back when it 1996-97 Topps first hit the stores in Sydney Australia (i was living there at the time), one of the stores I frequented had the Ewing NBA at 50 parallel with no price. I offered $10 on it, but the owner said he'd wait until the beckett came out. Suffice to say, I missed out on that card - then. I picked it up this year in a trade at another site. Man, it looks nice sitting in with the other Ewing Cards from that year of topps.
The card gods smiled upon you as well, mate.

Cool story, It's always nice to catch something like that, after you made a mistake.

In 2002-2003 I pulled 2 Kobe Auto's (UD Flight Team #199, and SP Game Used #25) and since I figured they'd mass produce these over the years, and the value would drop... I better sell them now. To be fair, I did get a good amount for them. 200$ for the flight team, and traded for a MJ Fleer rookie for the SP game used #'d to 25. I got out of collecting for a while... but noticed these held their value pretty well.

Last year, 2012 came around and I got back in the game... and it seems like there is a ton of Kobe auto's in Panini products. Now i want to pull one from my PC. Probably opened about 25 boxes of Panini products this year (Prizm, Select, Immaculate, and a few others) So you'd think I'd hit one..nope. So now, that it's been eluding me this past year, now I'm out searching to pull it out of a pack. Durant too... no Durant auto's either. Ah well...

Anyways, congrats on the Kidd!
Looking for:

Lebron BGS Rookies
Shaq PSA 10 Rookies
Graded Lew Alcindor RC
To complete Prizm Auto basketball set

PM me, if you are looking to sell or trade.

(11-18-2013, 04:10 PM)Stackfan Wrote: Cool story, It's always nice to catch something like that, after you made a mistake.

In 2002-2003 I pulled 2 Kobe Auto's (UD Flight Team #199, and SP Game Used #25) and since I figured they'd mass produce these over the years, and the value would drop... I better sell them now. To be fair, I did get a good amount for them. 200$ for the flight team, and traded for a MJ Fleer rookie for the SP game used #'d to 25. I got out of collecting for a while... but noticed these held their value pretty well.

Last year, 2012 came around and I got back in the game... and it seems like there is a ton of Kobe auto's in Panini products. Now i want to pull one from my PC. Probably opened about 25 boxes of Panini products this year (Prizm, Select, Immaculate, and a few others) So you'd think I'd hit one..nope. So now, that it's been eluding me this past year, now I'm out searching to pull it out of a pack. Durant too... no Durant auto's either. Ah well...

Anyways, congrats on the Kidd!
Thanks man ... if you're looking for a Panini Kobe auto, you should hit up JMarchand1981 ... he's got a couple he's looking to trade for help on his PC project:

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1549103.html

He's my buddy, I can vouch for him, he's like the best trader on here (besides me, LOL) ... thanks! RJ