`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BV vs eBay

RE: BV vs eBay
I basically use the BV as a guide but also consider the "caliber" of a card ... i.e., I'm happy to give up BV if I'm getting an auto and the other guy is not, for example.

To me (personally, just an opinion), a $15 auto card is much harder to come by than a $15 RC — so I'm happy to give up around $20-25 in trade value, sometimes more, depending on who it is.

I also take into consideration the active market, i.e., when Puig was on fire, even if his card booked at $12 I would over-trade for it, especially if I'm trading stuff that wasn't currently hot and was just PC for someone else.

But either way, whatever the philosophy is, we should always be respectful and polite even if we are declining or not interested in a trade.

Otherwise, we'd be a-- hats, or even worse, we'd be dooshes.

And nobody likes a dooshy trader.

As rjcj2007 put it
"But either way, whatever the philosophy is, we should always be respectful and polite even if we are declining or not interested in a trade."

This times infinity

To each his own, just be respectful. If someone doesn't see it your way, politely decline. And if they are a jerk, be the better man and just "walk away" Again just an opinion. Smile

It was more fun trading in the days when BV didn't exist; although pre BV usually meant one card came off the bicycle spokes to complete the trade. lol
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

(11-08-2013, 11:29 PM)diablo71 Wrote: This is just an opinion, BV is actually pretty annoying if you ask me. I understand the concept of people wanting to trade BV for BV, but everyone has to be honest. When it comes to certain trades it makes it impossible to really have an equal value... Case and point.... I collected the 98 preferred precious metals set.. Go look at the BV of these cards.... Now go to ebay and look at the actual SV of these card. Makes no sense.. The Griffey just sold for 710 on eBay. BV. I won't say it as it is against rules but lets just say it is less than 1/8 of that. Come on, if I went on BV I could offer a trade (2004 leaf rookies and stars Roy Williams and Mchael Clayton) for the Griifey then complain and say the guy won't trade me and I am offering him 1.5 times in BV that the Griifey goes for. While I do understand that when people are trading for the hobby and pure enjoyment..... don't think that for every 1 of these people there aren't 5 who don't see it this way. I sympathize with your pain but I think everyone needs to be realistic. I am not faulting your post just giving another perspective.
Well then don't trade, sell....

I understand how frustrating it can be, but as Diablo & RJ said, be respectful to your trader and just walk away. I refuse to let anyone or any situation take the joy away from "my hobby".

The trading "game" here is very complex. My trading philosophy is different than most. Firstly, I do not trade any high dollar cards nor put them in my org (sell/trade them private). Those cards I do put in org for trade are ones I do not want. Second, for these cards, I place more in the cost value then in BV or SV; meaning that if I trade 1 card to someone that cost me $0.13 @ retail and they will trade me 3 cards that I want and need, I get the better end of the deal. I have had many trades where BV has been 2x's + in favor of the other person, but again I don't care if I end up with more cards or something I really need. Now I don't let people willy-nilly take advantage of me, but if they are up for trade, that means I don't want them and will work hard to move them if you have something I want.

Also, as you build your trade partners up and get a relationship going, folks remember your "good deeds". I just had 2 trades where I ended up sending 4 cards and a Chipz gift and got 30 plus awesome cards back in return. I made them happy and they made me happy. And that's what this is and should be all about.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(11-08-2013, 11:29 PM)diablo71 Wrote: This is just an opinion, BV is actually pretty annoying if you ask me. I understand the concept of people wanting to trade BV for BV, but everyone has to be honest. When it comes to certain trades it makes it impossible to really have an equal value... Case and point.... I collected the 98 preferred precious metals set.. Go look at the BV of these cards.... Now go to ebay and look at the actual SV of these card. Makes no sense.. The Griffey just sold for 710 on eBay. BV. I won't say it as it is against rules but lets just say it is less than 1/8 of that. Come on, if I went on BV I could offer a trade (2004 leaf rookies and stars Roy Williams and Mchael Clayton) for the Griifey then complain and say the guy won't trade me and I am offering him 1.5 times in BV that the Griifey goes for. While I do understand that when people are trading for the hobby and pure enjoyment..... don't think that for every 1 of these people there aren't 5 who don't see it this way. I sympathize with your pain but I think everyone needs to be realistic. I am not faulting your post just giving another perspective.
Might want to send beckett a link , they are not good enough to price all these cards accurate...

Lots of good points in this thread. Bottom line it all comes down to the cards involved and the value the person puts on them individually and if we are all polite and up front trading is more friendly and fun.

i have to agree with rentzington, lots of good points. and i have to also agree with rjcj2017, decline the trade politely. thats what got me ticked off to begin with. telling me that he can get the card i was trading for x amount on the bay vs his. bottom line, dont be a dick while declining a trade. lol!!! thanks all!!

(11-09-2013, 10:06 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I understand how frustrating it can be, but as Diablo & RJ said, be respectful to your trader and just walk away. I refuse to let anyone or any situation take the joy away from "my hobby".

The trading "game" here is very complex. My trading philosophy is different than most. Firstly, I do not trade any high dollar cards nor put them in my org (sell/trade them private). Those cards I do put in org for trade are ones I do not want. Second, for these cards, I place more in the cost value then in BV or SV; meaning that if I trade 1 card to someone that cost me $0.13 @ retail and they will trade me 3 cards that I want and need, I get the better end of the deal. I have had many trades where BV has been 2x's + in favor of the other person, but again I don't care if I end up with more cards or something I really need. Now I don't let people willy-nilly take advantage of me, but if they are up for trade, that means I don't want them and will work hard to move them if you have something I want.

Also, as you build your trade partners up and get a relationship going, folks remember your "good deeds". I just had 2 trades where I ended up sending 4 cards and a Chipz gift and got 30 plus awesome cards back in return. I made them happy and they made me happy. And that's what this is and should be all about.
SALSA!
(11-09-2013, 11:43 AM)snappyjoe75 Wrote: i have to agree with rentzington, lots of good points. and i have to also agree with rjcj2017, decline the trade politely. thats what got me ticked off to begin with. telling me that he can get the card i was trading for x amount on the bay vs his. bottom line, dont be a dick while declining a trade. lol!!! thanks all!!
I have trading buddies on here that I maybe actually finalize a deal maybe a third of the time, LOL (K-Mac!!!) ... point being, since I'm never an a-- hat even when negotiations fall apart, the other guys are still willing to work with me on future deals.

Novel concept!

Here is my take, both BV and Bay Value are only guidlines when trading.

I for one am a set builder (A&G plug) and would value some of the harder to get cards at a much higher value than what the BV and Bay go for, however many of the no name higher priced cards in the BV I can not justify trading even prospects for when I can pick up a lot of the "high priced filler" cards on the Bay.

Just my two cents.

JC