`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Scanned Graded Card with Email Confirmation
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
45.45%
5 45.45%
No
54.55%
6 54.55%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Beckett Grading with Scanning

RE: Beckett Grading with Scanning
jctone, I'm guessing you started this because you have a problem with the scans on bgs cards like many do but all you need to do to fix the problem is find a flat bed scanner with CCD (charged couple device) and your problem will be fixed. Most all in ones are not CCD devices.
I just bought an Epson V37 to use on Windows 8 and it scans BGS cases with great clarity. The Star cards have always been my biggest problem scanning but this new scanner fixed it, it also does a pretty good job on refractors. It does not scan PSA cases that well but does miracles on BGS scans. All in one devices from what I can tell scan PSA cases better.

photo MICHAELJORDANGATORADE95_zpsd65d4919.jpg

photo MICHAELJORDANREFRACTOR_zps934b9fb8.jpg
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

(11-09-2013, 04:34 PM)patrick54 Wrote: jctone, I'm guessing you started this because you have a problem with the scans on bgs cards like many do but all you need to do to fix the problem is find a flat bed scanner with CCD (charged couple device) and your problem will be fixed. Most all in ones are not CCD devices.
I just bought an Epson V37 to use on Windows 8 and it scans BGS cases with great clarity. The Star cards have always been my biggest problem scanning but this new scanner fixed it, it also does a pretty good job on refractors. It does not scan PSA cases that well but does miracles on BGS scans. All in one devices from what I can tell scan PSA cases better.

photo MICHAELJORDANGATORADE95_zpsd65d4919.jpg

photo MICHAELJORDANREFRACTOR_zps934b9fb8.jpg
I made the suggestion so that Beckett can be ahead of the competition by providing an extra level of service to its customers. Not all of us has or want to purchase a scanner if we don't regularly use one already. By providing a hi res scan to customers when their grading is done, it makes it easy to track and to sell (for those who sell) because they will have a scan already.

Since Beckett already has a high level of service, adding an additional benefit (scan) for its customers would be great for the customer and Beckett. As any business, you want to be ahead of the competition. If PSA were to add this service, how long will Beckett wait to add just to stay competitive?

i don't disagree with you about an extra service being provided but they would charge an additional fee for it in the long run, so spending a little extra cash on the scanner would be the best route in my opinion.

A 50 buck or 100 buck spend on a descent scanner shouldn't be that big of a deal when spending hundreds on cards and grading.
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

I like this idea in theory. if there is enough demand for a product or service, someone is always willing to figure out a way to make money from it. The grading companies probably already scan cards in some fashion. It's mainly a matter of making it cost effective, one example of which could be additional fees only to those who desire the service and check the box on the submission form. A less desirable example is fee hikes across the board.

After estimating the cost to produce the service, the next hurdle is determining if there is enough demand to make it cost effective. Sure, scanners are cheap, but time is a premium. At 5 cents per card, thats 1000 scans for the price of a $50 scanner, just to give a reference point at one extreme.

I'm no economics major, but I'm not sure adding a product or service automatically means higher prices to the customer. Rather, it could promote competition amongst vendors, somehow driving prices down. Or perhaps prices stay the same, because demand has settled on a comfortable price range, with product quality improving.

In reality, I'm not sure if there is enough demand. Not everyone submits cards for the purpose of selling/trading or showing off pics. Altho probably a large majority. Hell, what do I know.

(11-16-2013, 01:03 AM)hercules21 Wrote: I like this idea in theory. if there is enough demand for a product or service, someone is always willing to figure out a way to make money from it. The grading companies probably already scan cards in some fashion. It's mainly a matter of making it cost effective, one example of which could be additional fees only to those who desire the service and check the box on the submission form. A less desirable example is fee hikes across the board.

After estimating the cost to produce the service, the next hurdle is determining if there is enough demand to make it cost effective. Sure, scanners are cheap, but time is a premium. At 5 cents per card, thats 1000 scans for the price of a $50 scanner, just to give a reference point at one extreme.

I'm no economics major, but I'm not sure adding a product or service automatically means higher prices to the customer. Rather, it could promote competition amongst vendors, somehow driving prices down. Or perhaps prices stay the same, because demand has settled on a comfortable price range, with product quality improving.

In reality, I'm not sure if there is enough demand. Not everyone submits cards for the purpose of selling/trading or showing off pics. Altho probably a large majority. Hell, what do I know.
Having the scans help Beckett and the customers. It gives Beckett a wonderful detailed database of graded cards with scans. Internally, they can track graders and their work easier. For the customers, we get grades and scans. Whether you are selling or keeping, it is nice to have. The scans can be posted here to show fellow collectors before you get the slabs back home.

It is always good to provide valuable services to your customers. It makes them happy and a happy customer does more business, and stays with you.

(11-06-2013, 10:48 PM)jctone Wrote: My suggestion was that they include a high resolution scan when they send email with grades. It will be a small additional to the processing that they do already to prepare the cards after grading.

It is beneficial for Beckett since it would separate their service level from other grading firms.

If you want a loyal customer base, you want to provide an additional service that others are not providing. Beckett has a routine in printing, prepping and sealing slabs. An additional step of a scan would not be a substantial burden. It might add a few seconds to the processing, but would have the potential of bringing new customers.

Like you said, scanners are cheap. Beckett could add scanners just like you and save you time.

Beckett can add this to improve their service level and customer loyalty or PSA can add this service before Beckett and Beckett risk losing some customers to the higher service level being offered.
Having a competitive edge is good for any business. Scanning would help everyone from Beckett, collectors, and buyers.

1. Collectors would benefit since not all of us have a high resolution scanners.
2. Buyers would benefit since they will have a Beckett certified scan.
3. Beckett has scan of their grading for internal quality control and tracking of graded slabs. They can also add directly to their registry.
I guess my worry point is at what price?? It sounds to me like most people who are posting replies are expecting this for free. If it's for free I have no problems, but what guarantees do you folks have that Beckett will provide the service for free? I'm just afraid it's one more thing they'll charge us for.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(11-17-2013, 01:58 AM)bamyanks Wrote: I guess my worry point is at what price?? It sounds to me like most people who are posting replies are expecting this for free. If it's for free I have no problems, but what guarantees do you folks have that Beckett will provide the service for free? I'm just afraid it's one more thing they'll charge us for.
I know your concerns, that is mine also. If they choose to do that, they price themselves out of the market, and people start looking elsewhere for grading services.

(11-17-2013, 02:29 AM)jctone Wrote: I know your concerns, that is mine also. If they choose to do that, they price themselves out of the market, and people start looking elsewhere for grading services.
Not true. Why or how would they price themselves out of a market that doesnt exist? Everything costs money. From the prices of scanners to the pay for the people using them. It is not a cost a business is going to incur to add a product that is only going to be used by a few. If it was something the people were clamoring for then it might be cost effective. But it is not. To me its just people being lazy and cheap. There is no need for a photo database for graded cards. What purpose would it serve? Fraud prevention? Its so minimal its not worth it. Something people are not even thinking about is hosting and storing these thousands upon thousands of images. That also costs money. Its not just your 10-50 cards, its everyones 10-50 cards. How many cards are graded in a year? It will take up a lot of space (money) and those costs will be passed on to the customer. There isnt a person in this thread who is willing to fork over thousands of dollars to provide a service only a few will use.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(11-17-2013, 08:08 AM)branesergen Wrote: Not true. Why or how would they price themselves out of a market that doesnt exist? Everything costs money. From the prices of scanners to the pay for the people using them. It is not a cost a business is going to incur to add a product that is only going to be used by a few. If it was something the people were clamoring for then it might be cost effective. But it is not. To me its just people being lazy and cheap. There is no need for a photo database for graded cards. What purpose would it serve? Fraud prevention? Its so minimal its not worth it. Something people are not even thinking about is hosting and storing these thousands upon thousands of images. That also costs money. Its not just your 10-50 cards, its everyones 10-50 cards. How many cards are graded in a year? It will take up a lot of space (money) and those costs will be passed on to the customer. There isnt a person in this thread who is willing to fork over thousands of dollars to provide a service only a few will use.
+34
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(11-17-2013, 08:08 AM)branesergen Wrote: Not true. Why or how would they price themselves out of a market that doesnt exist? Everything costs money. From the prices of scanners to the pay for the people using them. It is not a cost a business is going to incur to add a product that is only going to be used by a few. If it was something the people were clamoring for then it might be cost effective. But it is not. To me its just people being lazy and cheap. There is no need for a photo database for graded cards. What purpose would it serve? Fraud prevention? Its so minimal its not worth it. Something people are not even thinking about is hosting and storing these thousands upon thousands of images. That also costs money. Its not just your 10-50 cards, its everyones 10-50 cards. How many cards are graded in a year? It will take up a lot of space (money) and those costs will be passed on to the customer. There isnt a person in this thread who is willing to fork over thousands of dollars to provide a service only a few will use.
Agree with some of this, but your argument about storing thousands of images costing a lot money is laughable.