`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Super Collectors Problems

Super Collectors Problems
Hey everyone? As many of you are, I'm a super collector of 1 player. But I am starting to run into some problems and I want to know some of your opinions.

1. As a super collector, obviously a 1/1 of any kind is a must have. I recently saw a 1/1 on eBay that was visibly damaged on the scans. I messaged the seller and he didn't respond. After tearing myself apart for the afternoon, I chose not to get it because I felt like paying for a damaged card was idiotic. But thinking about the fact that I will most likely never see that card again and have a chance at it eats me up too lol. So I want to know if you guys would buy a /1 or any low serial PC Cards even if they are damaged?

2. Easy way to put it, how to deal with eBay sellers thinking they have a good mine? I collect Brian Hartline, I few might know this already, but I have written down what I've paid for each card. I know my averages off hand for /1, plates, combos of prev 2, jersey, low print, brands, etc. so when a seller tells me his market their wrong haha. I've only collected him for the past 5 years and know his market. I've never spent over $100, and only spent $100 once on a Christmas splurge to reward myself for the year of work. I have a couple I paid around $60, and $50. The rest are realistic to book values. So eBay sellers have cards listed for over $150 and other higher prices with no signs of letting up. I do not mind Paying book or even a little over. How do you guys deal with the sellers on eBay?

RE: Super Collectors Problems
If you're gonna be a super collector heres how I see it:

If its a damaged card I move on. Just mark it as nonexistent since technically damaged could mean its gone lol

Over priced cards - Again move on. Eventually they will come down or be sent to auction. Most likely. If you're a supercollector then you got years to pick them up. Most sellers dont want to hold them for years lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(10-27-2013, 08:48 AM)branesergen Wrote: If you're gonna be a super collector heres how I see it:

If its a damaged card I move on. Just mark it as nonexistent since technically damaged could mean its gone lol

Over priced cards - Again move on. Eventually they will come down or be sent to auction. Most likely. If you're a supercollector then you got years to pick them up. Most sellers dont want to hold them for years lol
+1
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

first of all.... you gotta realize a slightly damaged 1/1 is still the only one there is.... so .... granted unless its wrecked I can live with some damage:

Look close at the"M" its bent upwards and kinda coming apart but for 30$ range I can live with it...

[Image: EDEE0BA0-AF46-42CA-A69F-CC21B1DFA1E6-211...193719.jpg]

It would bother the crap outta me if it were anything higher than a /5 print run but since I know I wont find a better one its good with me......

When people get a 1/1 they think they struck the lottery!

look at this thread and see what I m talking about.
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1472996.html

the card started out almost 2 years ago @ $2600 .....
check out post #11 and see where patience got me Smile

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

If its me and a PC item I do not want a damaged card. There are so many 1/1's out there nowadays I would write it off as non existence and move on to a better card. The only way I would purchase it is if I was going to every card produced for that player which is almost impossible. HOLD ON TO YOUR MONEY AND TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR COLLECTION!
My Bucket
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af12...nding1973/
[Image: nameplate.jpg]

If I am interested in trading I will send a trade or reply to your post.

Thanks everyone for your input! Once I get some time off I'm going to start posting my collection!

Phinz- I saw that thread before and it made me say the cliche: wooow, lol

I think it's a moral decision, and agree with other people on the board. I'm not super collector yet, but it seems like there are many 1/1's unless it was a card and brand you can't live with out just move on if someone is asking unreasonable prices on ebay.

(10-27-2013, 08:48 AM)branesergen Wrote: If you're gonna be a super collector heres how I see it:

i agree with Doc. there are SO many 1/1s of our guy because of modern print runs ( doesnt matter who you collect ) Doc collects Peyton and there are hundreds of 1/1s......pencil that up w $$$..........lol.... get the good ones...you will always regret getting a damaged card of your guy.
Smile
(10-27-2013, 08:54 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: first of all.... you gotta realize a slightly damaged 1/1 is still the only one there is.... so .... granted unless its wrecked I can live with some damage:

Look close at the"M" its bent upwards and kinda coming apart but for 30$ range I can live with it...

[Image: EDEE0BA0-AF46-42CA-A69F-CC21B1DFA1E6-211...193719.jpg]

It would bother the crap outta me if it were anything higher than a /5 print run but since I know I wont find a better one its good with me......

When people get a 1/1 they think they struck the lottery!

look at this thread and see what I m talking about.
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1472996.html

the card started out almost 2 years ago @ $2600 .....
check out post #11 and see where patience got me Smile
love your PC's my friend, but i could never pay for that Phinz...wait sure...but unless its a gift or $20 i move on...there are hundreds of others somewhere.....a dinged corner i can deal with...not a mangled Diecut
but thats just me
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

Well, I'm probably in the minority on this one but I would perfer to own a damaged 1/1 than not have it at all. I'm a super collector myself. I know it sucks if the card is damaged but a damaged card is better than never owning it at all IMO. People collect the printing plates that are certified 1/1's and those things look like a meat grinder got ahold of them. The real dilema is asking if you want to overpay for a damaged card to add that .10 percent to your overall collection or not. Once someone else gets it, odds are you will never get another chance to get it again unless that buyer relists it in the future.

I collect Napoleon Kaufman and had my wife put a bid in for a Napoleon Kaufman 1/1 1999 upper deck card for $300 and still lost it. I told her I wanted it as a Birthday/Christmas gift. I told her not to pay over $100 for it even back when Napoleon was still playing and she bid that absurd amount. I asked her why she bid that high and she said she knew how much I liked him and wanted to make sure I got it. Sad thing is, I still didn't. Although that was probably a good thing since I would not have been happy at all that she spent $300. To this day, I never saw that card again. Odds are, that guy will never sell that card again, especially knowing he will never get the $300 he paid for it. It only takes 2 people wanting the card. Without her bid or the other guys bid, the card prob would have only went for $50 bucks.

It sucks knowing that you want a card that is ridiculously overpriced and you know that noone else will ever pay that either. I mean, if you are a super collector and don't want to pay that price, why would anyone else pay it. You just have to sit and watch the item end over and over and over again with no bids hoping the seller will not be a greedy money grubber and list the item with a reasonable price.
Since it is unrealistic that anyone will ever get 100% PC, you need to break it down into 2 groups. % complete w/o 1/1's....and % complete with 1/1's. It's hard enough getting them all without the 1/1's. The 1/1's are just a bonus.
(10-27-2013, 08:41 AM)butterworth1326 Wrote: I collect Brian Hartline,
I have a Brian Hartline 2012 totally certified platinum gold #ed/25 if interested.
[Image: FINAL%20BECKETT%20BANNER_zps7fydiu6h.png][/URL]
NAPOLEON KAUFMAN SUPER COLLECTOR
1177/1199 (98.2%) + 10/85 (11.8%) TRUE 1/1's = 1187/1284 (92.4%) TOTAL

ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY OR TRADE FOR KAUFMAN WANTS ANY RARES.

If I can afford it, and it sounds reasonable, then I have no problem going after it. Some of the stuff some sellers think is a gold mine and limited is not so limited, especially if there are like a zillion parallels of a particular card. For example, if you look at my LSU thread, you will see several Stevan Ridley Threads and Prime variations I have. There are several others on the web, but they have gotten to be so ridiculous in price (I think I'm partly to blame for that Tongue ) that unless the prices come down to earth, no way I'm ever going to own them. I've also changed my target to acquiring quality as opposed to quantity, as well as my primary goal when I first started, which is collecting base of LSU and Saints. Gives me more freedom to go after limited pieces as opposed to a bunch of this that and the other.

I'm also moving away from printing plates unless its a white whale version, jersey auto sort of deal, and it has to be reasonably priced.

As to a damaged card, I get pissed when I receive one that wasnt described as damaged, and theres no way on God's green earth I would pay for a damaged card unless it was something from the Vintage Era. If it means I dont have it, I dont have it. The world wont end tomorrow if it isnt in my collection
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]