`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My open letter to Scott at SBay + unfair eBay fees

RE: My open letter to Scott at SBay + unfair eBay fees
(10-29-2013, 02:20 PM)jblaze1718 Wrote: Open question: Does anyone ever fear that their high end bubble may burst some day? For example, an Allen & Ginter Red Framed Auto /10 is a well sought after card of almost any player. Do you feel that 10 years from now after they have released dozens of different Ginter titles with many framed /10 autos that the card will devalue just because it has lost its luster? I already feel like some of my superfractors are losing value as they produce more and more of them constantly.
Well this has already happened once, the late 80s-mid 90s. Cards that were a premium then are pretty much worthless now. No they weren't autos /10 and the like, but for their period Rookies such as Mcgwire, Bonds, Bo Jackson etc... WERE the high end of the time, even though you had the same chance as getting any other card per pack. Sooner or later everything crashes.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(10-29-2013, 02:36 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Well this has already happened once, the late 80s-mid 90s. Cards that were a premium then are pretty much worthless now. No they weren't autos /10 and the like, but for their period Rookies such as Mcgwire, Bonds, Bo Jackson etc... WERE the high end of the time, even though you had the same chance as getting any other card per pack. Sooner or later everything crashes.
This is true, but we know the reason for the crash. That was a flooded market all at one point. I'm asking more along the lines of whether people will start to find cards less appealing as time goes along. Will the allure of Ginter finally fade? I guess this is always a risk we are taking with cards. An auto /10 is an auto /10 so it should only gain more value as the years go by and the possibility of them existing becomes more scarce. You can see that low #d cards from the early 2000s. I'm just hoping the same rings true in 2020 about current cards.

I think it depends more on the player 10 years down the road. Who will be collecting who/what? Just hypo. as I love your collection so there is no malice intended at all. Let's say Shane has 3 more good solid years then retires. You keep collecting, buying up at reasonable prices any card that you can. In 2020, how many people do you think will want Shane V. cards? Non-HOF, couple time all-star.....probably set collectors will want your low numbered non-auto's, so they will prob. keep some value, but everyhing else, I myself question. You need to look at the landscape and know that youngsters who grew or are growing up with Shane, aren't collecting his cards (or anyone else for that matter) now and I just don't see them wanting them in the future. Also, with everyone taking such good care of thier cards, it will be pretty simple and relativley cheap to aquire very nice cards currently being produced 20-30 yrs from now. Just MO.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(10-29-2013, 02:36 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Sooner or later everything crashes.
or explodes: look at mid-90's inserts, especially basketball, and look what they are going for

(10-29-2013, 02:20 PM)jblaze1718 Wrote: Open question: Does anyone ever fear that their high end bubble may burst some day? For example, an Allen & Ginter Red Framed Auto /10 is a well sought after card of almost any player. Do you feel that 10 years from now after they have released dozens of different Ginter titles with many framed /10 autos that the card will devalue just because it has lost its luster? I already feel like some of my superfractors are losing value as they produce more and more of them constantly.
Don't worry, be happy! Smile

My opinion is pretty much the same as Nolan5k, I buy what I like, not what I think will be valuable. IMO, if you're buying cards as an investment you should think again. If you're buying cards you like, the cards will never be valueless. If some cards have an increase in value, bonus!
Phillies-Joe made some really insightful observations, too. Today's cards are being saved, kept in better condition and made with better materials. 20-30 years from now, good condition cards won't be hard to find .... Unless the whole "cards in the spokes of the bicycle" -thing, becomes trendy again. (My daughter has been ripping up some 88 donruss in her spokes, lately) helping our cause! Smile
And finally, JacobyStealsHome, is right on target ... You never really know what the future holds ... Usually what's perceived as garbage today, might come back as some scarce commodity tomorrow. Some things just .... Explode!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

An auto /10 is rarely an auto /10. For Bowman this year most prospects signed likely close to 5,000 autographs. 4,000+ base autos and a little under a thousand serial numbered autos. In the end the only thing separating the serial numbered autos from the rest is the fact that a number was stamped on and the card is a different color. What reads 1/10 is really still just 1/5000. It's a silly trend in the hobby to put serial numbers on because collectors are DESPERATE to own something that's exclusive. Over time eyes will continue to open and people will begin to realize that their special card isn't so special, thus driving prices down as a result of a flooded market. We can't live in a world of "2 autographs per box" and expect the vast majority of autographs to be worth much down the line.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

Phillies_Joe: I definitely see your point here and like others say, I am collecting for the enjoyment of looking at my cards and because I love the thrill of working toward completion. It's not an investment, and therefore I'm not worried! It would be nice if I someday had to sell because of financial hardships that I could get close to what I paid for some of it though. Like you said it depends on the player though. I do feel like Vic could hold some value as he has had some high points in his career that including 2 post season grand slams that were monumental to each franchise. This alone could keep collectors on his side for a few years I hope! I would at least like for him to finish his career strong so that when people see my collection they can appreciate the player and remember him for abeing a hard nose, likeable guy that made an impact in the sports and have that reflect in my collection.

cross4444: I would have to disagree with you there. They aren't placing a serial on the autograph, they are placing it on the unqie card. Now some sets the serial # is bogus and has less value. For these I think that people see it for what it is. Like a 1/1 Pujols from Moments & Milestones already has a MUCH lower value then say a superfractor. People realize that it truly isn't a 1/1. For some sets though like A&G I think that people really do want the exclusitivity of that red ink hand numbered beauty. If they made variations of that cards with maybe different "milestones" and did 10 variations of /10 autos then yes I think buyers would realize that and the sales would reflect it. But they are going to exclusitivity of THAT CARD. People aren't going to dismiss that card and buy his Topps base auto instead saying that its the same thing because his autograph is on each piece of cardboard...if that makes sense.

Can't complain about the value of my PC after tonight Tongue