`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CMG Grading Company?

CMG Grading Company?
Never heard of them. Came across a guy with the 1984-85 STAR XRC Rookie Michael Jordan graded 9. Tempted to pick it up, but grading company is not one I'm familiar with. Any thoughts?

RE: CMG Grading Company?
The random companies have a reputation for shadiness ... i.e., WAY lax on grading, promising better grades for larger lots, giving good grades to their buddies, etc. ...

Not saying this one is, but if I were you I'd look very carefully at the card itself to judge for yourself if it's mint or not — PLUS, with this particular card, forging is a HUGE problem, and the only ones that I know of that have a good reputation for determining authenticity on the MJ are BGS and PSA.

Also, best case scenario, even if you were happy with the condition of the card and were convinced it was genuine, you'd have a much harder time flipping it because it wasn't one of the "big two" grading companies.

But, what you could do is, pick it up, bust it out of the case and submit it to one of those two companies.

If you luck out and it comes back as a 9 from BGS or PSA, you could easily flip it for a profit.

If you can't google it, I wouldn't trust it. With it being the card that it is, what responsible owner would actually send the card to a grader no one's heard of it. The only reasons are that they were hoping for an excessively high grade, or hoping that they would miss that it's a fake. If you do end up getting it, I'd immediately turn it around and have it regraded.
PC: Scottie Pippen(active years), Fleer master sets (all inserts/parallels,  base Fleer only),
Bucket Updated  10/21: http://s890.photobucket.com/user/carrollm09/library/ (extremely outdated, who even uses photobucket anymore?!)

I'll keep you all updated on the final decision early next week.

If I were going to buy it I would try and make a deal with the seller that if it is not authentic you can get your money back. Other than that, I think it is too big of a risk.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(10-18-2013, 01:53 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: If I were going to buy it I would try and make a deal with the seller that if it is not authentic you can get your money back. Other than that, I think it is too big of a risk.
I actually did this on a Mike Trout IP auto that I sent in and got authenticated ... as long as the language in the eBay listing says something to the effect of "guaranteed authentic" or "guaranteed to pass any third party grading service" or whatever, it is eligible for an "item not as described" case if it comes back unslabbed (I actually verified this with PayPal and eBay ahead of time before I bought the raw Trout) ...

Only thing is, I believe you have 45 days to file a claim, so if you're going to send it in to get graded/verified, you should probably pay for one of the faster service levels (10-day, or whatever) — and most likely, the seller would not be responsible for the loss on grading fees, only for the cost of the card.

Be safe. Stay away.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(10-18-2013, 07:03 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I actually did this on a Mike Trout IP auto that I sent in and got authenticated ... as long as the language in the eBay listing says something to the effect of "guaranteed authentic" or "guaranteed to pass any third party grading service" or whatever, it is eligible for an "item not as described" case if it comes back unslabbed (I actually verified this with PayPal and eBay ahead of time before I bought the raw Trout) ...

Only thing is, I believe you have 45 days to file a claim, so if you're going to send it in to get graded/verified, you should probably pay for one of the faster service levels (10-day, or whatever) — and most likely, the seller would not be responsible for the loss on grading fees, only for the cost of the card.
I did not know this. If he does buy, I think with a card like this he should do the fastest grading possible.

[Image: Nick.jpg]