`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the shoe about to drop on game used cards?

Is the shoe about to drop on game used cards?
This is why I don't buy any game used cards after they changed the wording back in 2005!!!!

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/cou...companies/

Bottom of article states his involvement was from 2006-2008.

RE: Is the shoe about to drop on game used cards?
+1. It fell a long time ago. I don't like nor collect them at all (though some are really really sharp)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I collect for the player depicted and not for the GU or non-GU item featured. It would be nice if the card company stated that the jersey swatch is from a random jersey purchased at WalMart and not used in an actual game but as long as my player is featured, I don't really care as long as it's a cool looking card. I'm not in it for the money.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I still love GU cards. They're so damn cheap now. I buy them knowing they are almost certainly not "game-used" but likely just a cheap jersey thrown on, taken off and then handed over to the card company. I do believe that they are actually player worn, but unlikely game or practice worn.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I never really believed they were real game used jersey pieces right from the start. I still collect the crazy patch cards of players and teams I like though.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

This case has been going on for years now though, so there's no imminent danger of the shoe dropping anymore than it already has.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

Have to love how card companies put something together that catches the intrigue of collectors and then runs it into the ground by cheapening the product and flooding the market...

What has always amazed me are the old-school HOF'ers GU. The thought that if a Ty Cobb GU card was really from a GU bat or jersey, that it required that amazing piece to essentially be cut to crap into little slivers makes me want to cringe.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(10-16-2013, 01:05 PM)petillo64 Wrote: What has always amazed me are the old-school HOF'ers GU. The thought that if a Ty Cobb GU card was really from a GU bat or jersey, that it required that amazing piece to essentially be cut to crap into little slivers makes me want to cringe.
Kinda feel the same.
If i don't really think to hard about it, i can almost fool myself into believing the relic hype. Smile With new players and current HOF'ers I can honestly believe a piece is GU, but who in their right mind would buy a GU Roger Maris bat and slice it into tiny pieces? My suspension of disbelief ends there! Ty Cobb jersey? You'd have to be certifiably crazy to take a pair of shears to that historical piece of fabric! See, now you've got me thinking again! Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Remember these aren't just regular individuals. We are talking about BIG business. I don't know how hard it is for them to certify which game or event the jersey was worn in.

(10-16-2013, 01:53 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Kinda feel the same.
If i don't really think to hard about it, i can almost fool myself into believing the relic hype. Smile With new players and current HOF'ers I can honestly believe a piece is GU, but who in their right mind would buy a GU Roger Maris bat and slice it into tiny pieces? My suspension of disbelief ends there! Ty Cobb jersey? You'd have to be certifiably crazy to take a pair of shears to that historical piece of fabric! See, now you've got me thinking again! Smile
But how can they profit more? By selling one Cobb jersey? Or 1000 Cobb cards in a set?

hopefully that gets you thinking that possibly they are legit again. Tongue