`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on boxes

Advice on boxes
I just got back into card collecting and I'm curious which boxes are the best to buy. Someone told me that it all depends on what your looking for and I am trying to get prospects and rooks. I got hobby boxes of Bowman, Series 1, and Series 2 coming from DACARDWORLD so are those good places to start? So far I've pulled some good stuff from Gypsy Queen and Series 2. Thanks for the advice.

RE: Advice on boxes
I just got back in too. I've had amazing luck with Bowman Platinum, guaranteed 3 autos per box and focuses at least half the product on prospects. I've also had a good run with Topps chrome, though not as geared towards prospects. Good luck and welcome back!
[Image: XjsuPlx.jpg]

I personally prefer platinum to regular bowman. More bang for the buck if you're not going to go crazy $ wise and want a card of most of the major prospects.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Thanks, I just looked up the price for Bowman Platinum hobby boxes and its within my spending range and it sounds like what I'm looking for especially since they have 3 autos per box.

Platinum rules....Petillo64 is 100% correct.....

As long as you're just getting into prospect cards as a hobby, not investing. The profit margins are stupid low right now. Boxes are overpriced and the autos are being overprinted like crazy.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

Agreed. If you're trying to turn a profit you have to get pretty lucky. Only a few players per sport really pay out. I'm lucky that I scored 2 Puig autos in 5 boxes and one of those pretty much netted met money back. Prospecting is dangerous business.
[Image: XjsuPlx.jpg]

No I just got back into it for fun and having a couple of co-workers who collect gave me that final push. I understand that some of the stuff I collect today won't really be worth anything until I have grandkids. I'm just out to get stuff from the Braves and up and coming rookies and prospects.

There you go man! No one here will deny it's a helluva lotta fun!

On another point, I'd be surprised if most modern cards even have serious value in our lifetimes. Collecting is so different than it was 40-50 years ago. Now we care for our cards like fine china and store them safely, so they'll stay in good condition. Not to mention kids aren't collecting nowadays, so who is going to buy them in the future? I doubt there will be much of a market until they're an antique oddity 100+ years from now. That's okay though, the card hobby was at its strongest when no one could have even imagined they'd someday have value!
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

I think there will always be a good market and kids buying up stuff because we pass our roots down to our kids and the sports industry is only getting bigger. For me it almost feels like christmas when I'm opening a new box because you don't know whats inside. I'm just trying to figure out what box (brand of cards) to buy!