`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner with t206

Beginner with t206
I just recently began collecting the Cleveland Naps t206. My question is, when choosing which cards to purchase do you value the grade or the back higher? For example, if you could get a higher grade, say PSA 5, cheaper than a more rare back, graded PSA 3, which would you go for?

[Image: joealexander.jpg]
[Image: white.jpg]

RE: Beginner with t206
Grade for me. I have know idea about the backs or how rare each is, I just want a good conditioned card of a particular player.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

im not sure myself but i caught an ebay auction recently selling off a collection and i got a couple psa 3's
one was a polar bear back which carries a slight premium

My understanding is piedmont is the lowest then you have your sweet caporal and polar bears

i try to collect all the variations (based on card backs, but in raw), and the back is the biggest price changer, other than you know who, lol.
The rare backs are tough, and it sounds like you are collecting a specific handful (based on card fronts), so if i was doing that i would go for the best conditioned money being equal. i hope this helps

i learned this and its gets repeated several time: Buy the card, not the holder.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

If your a player collector I would go for the highest grade you can get, better looking card. If your a vintage or set collector I would go for the more rare backs. Adds a mystique to a vintage collector to have the more rare back, as you prolly already have a few of the common backs in your collection.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(10-18-2013, 06:00 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: i learned this and its gets repeated several time: Buy the card, not the holder.
Are you saying don't trust the grade or don't get caught up in the SGC, PSA, GAI, BVG battle?
(10-18-2013, 10:26 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: If your a player collector I would go for the highest grade you can get, better looking card. If your a vintage or set collector I would go for the more rare backs. Adds a mystique to a vintage collector to have the more rare back, as you prolly already have a few of the common backs in your collection.
My "rarest" back is a Sweet Cap 150 Fac. 30, according to t206.org. So I guess I kind of knew the answer all along.
[Image: joealexander.jpg]
[Image: white.jpg]

[quote='antipitt' pid='2367747' dateline='1382255342']

Are you saying don't trust the grade or don't get caught up in the SGC, PSA, GAI, BVG battle?

Basically dont overpay. Sometimes some cards are over-graded or undergraded.
A nice centered 5 would be better than a slight o/c 6 in some cases.
If your 'flipping' PSA is the TPG to go for. For vinatge, people like the SGC black borders.
But i find most say BVG are the hardest slabs to 'crack', for those re-submitting or crossover.
As for GAI, it used to be respected, but totally not a good option anymore.
SGC versus PSA..you will find SGC a little cheaper and sometimes harsher on the grade.
Overall, if your going to be a 'registry' guy, then decide that first.
If your a beginner, learn the cards, and determine fake and spot wrinkles and how grading works. And buy a
loupe' to see the cards better, heck a black light helps too.

Most important.. Enjoy collecting thats what makes it fun.
Look for a master list of your player or whatever and build from it or focus on a set/year.

Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

This thread has been helpful. I think I finally narrowed down a target for collecting t206 though it won't be the cheapest entry into the hobby. Southern league cards in particular the texas league players

The less common backs would command some sort of premium depending on the rarity of the back. The rarer it is, the less concern for grading as you never know when you may come across another again.

I collect backs of T206 ill Bergen. I doubt I will come across every back I need but I find it a rush when I do see one up for grabs.

http://t206bergenbacks.webs.com

You also might want to check out this book: The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories (Zappala & Zappala)

You might find a more interesting way to collect T206s after you read this.