IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
very cool!

Working on a vertical 2' by 4' right now. Went slightly different again, the whole top piece is held in by two screws to the two side pieces. This allows it to be removed so the glass can be slid out. Screws are recessed flush so they can't be seen given they're on the uppermost surface. What this gives up however, is a tight nearly invisible seam at the top two miter joints. Should be interesting.

On another note, and mods, please edit if this isn't allowed. I am considering making these for sale. But what would one be willing to pay? And I'll lay it out like this.

For a 2' by 4' piece that holds 56 cards, I have about $65 in materials ($30 of which is the acrylic glass). Factoring in time to build, stain, and assemble, and to make it worth while, what do you guys think is a fair price?

For a 2' by 2' piece that holds 28 card, Materials cost comes down to about $40 per. Same thing here.

I'm just worried that I won't be competitive with the big names out there, and thus, a dud for selling them.

Teasers of my new vertical "big one". Mind you this is rough out of the frame clamp with the back screwed down. I have NOT sanded it down yet.......shortly so I can start staining today. Have to line the shelves, cut them, and get that all figured out first.

Overview:

[Image: IMAG1266_zpsbc369dd2.jpg]

Bottom row corner close up. You can see how they are recessed and sit IN the bottom of the frame unlike the last one I did when I got in a rush.

[Image: IMAG1263_zps70902c1f.jpg]

Top left corner view. This is to show how a small seam is left with the top piece being screwed in separately so it's removable in order to pull the glass and access the cards.

[Image: IMAG1265_zps2d68ce0b.jpg]

Screw holding top piece in, you can see it's flush, I put a counter sunk hole there for this purpose.

[Image: IMAG1264_zpsb57a10c2.jpg]

This one is coming out nice. I switched back to poplar. The oak I used on the previous one just didn't do it for me.

Huh.....I just started laying out the slabs to make sure everything is square. I can ALMOST fir 63 cards in the case (9 rows of 7 cards). Problem is that leaves literally 1/8" in between cards. So close but not quite.

Laying some stain........This ought to be nearly done tomorrow or Saturday.

[Image: IMAG1268_zps61cb43a1.jpg]

Looking good man. Look up some of the ones on ebay and see what they are going for and then figure out if you can compete. Time is money! I would think $150 for the 2x4 would be a fair price tho I haven't priced any out so I could be way off lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(12-06-2013, 07:31 AM)branesergen Wrote: Looking good man. Look up some of the ones on ebay and see what they are going for and then figure out if you can compete. Time is money! I would think $150 for the 2x4 would be a fair price tho I haven't priced any out so I could be way off lol
That tells me a lot. That was the EXACT price point I was considering. Most of the larger ones are in the $100-125 range but they're also mass produced and have a hinged front instead of integrated glass making them stick out rather far from the wall. I'm going to try it with an ad I guess and see what happens. I just HATE ebay because they certainly gouge you what with 9% at auctions end, then another 3% with paypal. It's highway robbery. I'd truly liken mine at this point to a mid-point between the cheaper widely available mass production ones and the uber expensive $700+ Homeplate Heroes ones.

If I had room, and a sturdy wall, I'd order one. My personal carpenter seems to be on strike.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Actually they're not that heavy. I have one 2x4 hanging on one of those magic hooks and it's fine. I use two screw in hooks on the rear and heavy duty 40+lb cable to support it, then felt pads at the corners to pus the bottom out so it's got just a tiny incline.

I just registered a sub-domain on one of my personal websites, so stay tuned. I'm was looking at how I'm building these and they're VERY customizable in terms of size. So that's what I plan to offer. Be it a small one with a single row of just a few cards up to the 2x4 monster. Perhaps that's what's been missing and why more people don't go this route, because the only real options are 20-30 sized and 48-60 sized.......for now at least. (insert winking smiley here since the db for this board doesn't have one)

Don't forget if it does work out you can buy more materials in bulk saving even more cash! I would start at $200 and go from there. Be sure to mention the integration and the glass. Slim and sleek! Wink
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Teaser pic: Should be up in the not too distant future.

[Image: Test_zpsca04ff2f.jpg]

Took me all day because I've never edited CSS before (I'm an HTML and Frames old head). Cool stuff, but a pain to figure out. Thank god for templates!