`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
Started adding a new finishing touch to the frames now. Thanks to my wife and her sewing hobby I noticed her cutting fabric with a circular cutter and it gave me an idea. Here's what I ended up with:

[Image: 0120152356b_zpsd662c34e.jpg]

All the areas where the cards sit will now be fabric lined also rather than being stained to match the case. This really brings the finished product together IMO and adds a higher quality touch.

Here's a couple more shots, some of which show that the bottom of the frame is still stained. Reason is this decision was made AFTER the frame was assembled and the bottom had been stained/cleared.

[Image: 0120152356c_zps7771c0e3.jpg]

[Image: 0120152358a_zps5fe694e5.jpg]

So I'm torn. I've been working on this mahogany frame for myself (ran out of room, lol) and am not sure where to go with it. It's currently nearing completion, mahogany wood stained with Varathane Cabernet stain......

The problem, or conundrum rather, is that mahogany is an open grain wood. I have had limited success using a dyed spackle compound to fill the pores, but it's too thick to get the smaller ones. I almost like the textured finish on this it's currently got.

[Image: 0203150859_zps1ye9muxc.jpg]

[Image: 0203150859b_zpskp5vhyhp.jpg]

[Image: 0203150900_zpsemlmu2mj.jpg]

I guess what I'm asking is if you guys were in this situation, what would you want? Slight texture or glass smooth finish?

Personally I like the wood grain finish. Looks more natural to me. Though were I to use it, I'd probably put vintage graded cards in there. It's a bit more rustic and older cards would look nice there.

I should have pics up tonight. I'm finishing it later today and I added 2 more coats of poly and it muted the grain some but left a little texture still. Came out really nice. All I've got left to do is put the cloth on the shelves and back sheet, install everything, and size and set up the acrylic.

Out of curiosity, have you thought about doing a display case where you could see both sides of the card? One of the sets I collect has jersey pieces on the front of back of teammates and I was thinking about how best to display it.

I sort of though about it, but the problem becomes HOW to display such a case. I've never tried to make something free standing much less with a pivot point in it at the same time. I think in my internet searches I cam across someone who had built a dual sided frame but it was above my current level of capability.

My new case of awesome for my personal collection. Solid mahogany, cabernet stain, semi-muted grain effect, and a whole lot of goodness inside it. Had to overflow two cards because my other 6 cases are stocked full now (the 88 BK and the 96 Gold team don't belong, the case is for 10's, Auto's, and Jersey's only, or it's supposed to be at least).

[Image: 0208151048_zpsecsoxmfr.jpg]