`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for a warped "bowed" card purchased on eBay...

Advice for a warped "bowed" card purchased on eBay...
Hello everyone, my name is Dean and I look forward to being a part of this forum. At any rate, here is my first post…

Well, I recently purchased an Anthony Bennett "Cracked Ice" Panini National Convention Rookie card on eBay and I was hoping to submit it to get graded via Beckett. However, when the card was packaged for mailing, it was placed into a single top loader and placed directly into a bubble mailer. When the card arrived, the envelope was severly damaged and bent, and the card holder inside was bent as well.

Horrified, I carefully unpacked the envelope … to my surprise, the card holder was severely bent, however the card inside had no apparent damage as the holder took most of the damage. Surface is amazing, corners are sharp, centering great, however the card is indeed bowed. I'm worried the bowing of the card will effect the "edges" sub rating.

I tried leaving the card in a penny sleeve and stacking books on top for a few days, it helped, however the bowing is still apparent. ***See attached photos, they are "after book treatment" photos.

I read there is a "heat method" to fix bowing, however I'm afraid the foil treatment of the card will be damaged…

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

RE: Advice for a warped "bowed" card purchased on eBay...
Cant do anything, it has nothing to do with shipping. Blame the materials used to make it.
Use a hard case, leave it in for a year without touching it.

leave it in a sauna for 30 mins.the hot air will soften the cardboard straight.

(09-29-2013, 07:11 PM)hgyt Wrote: leave it in a sauna for 30 mins.the hot air will soften the cardboard straight.
I don't know if this is would work but the logic is sound. The cardboard will ultimately soften...
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

I submitted a card that was fairly bowed myself, and it still graded a 9.5. IDK about the sauna trick, but i would put weight on it. It won't be the perfect fix, but little likely to be damaged.
Looking for:

Lebron BGS Rookies
Shaq PSA 10 Rookies
Graded Lew Alcindor RC
To complete Prizm Auto basketball set

PM me, if you are looking to sell or trade.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Out of all of the methods, the "sauna method" makes the most sense as far as getting it completely flat. However, all of that moisture leaves me a little uneasy. Especially considering the foil type treatment of the front of the card. I'm thinking over time, it might start to separate from the cardboard backing.

The other "heat method" I read about online said to leave it under a router or low energy electronic device for a few hours. The heat from the machine would, in theory, flatten out the card. However, it sounded like it was a little too much, as a few people commented it ruined their cards.

Once it's in a penny sleeve and in a hard card holder, you can hardly tell. I think I'll just leave it untouched for now, especially considering Stackfan's results submitting a bowed card. The edges are pristine, it's just bowed.

Thanks again!

Yeah I've got a couple of redemption cards from Panini like that...As long there isnt any creases just put it in the tightest top loader u can find and put it under some books for a few weeks..It will be alright...NICE CARD!!!