`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vintage cards that every collector should have that won't break the bank?

RE: Vintage cards that every collector should have that won't break the bank?
If you dont care who the player is. There is plenty of prewar vintage that wont break the bank. Can never go wrong with prewar vintage.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I have a 1953 Willie May topps if anyone interested! In very very good condition as well! I also have 1962 of Willie Mays.

(09-21-2013, 09:24 AM)eisenhower76 Wrote: I LOVE the 1960 Topps cards of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. They just look beautiful! You should be able to get a PSA 5 of each for about $30-$45.

To get a sweet Mantle, look at the 1964 Topps Giants. I am trying to get all the 1964 Topps Giants in PSA 8; need Koufax and one of the SPs to have all the stars, then will pick up the rest. The Topps Giants are very inexpensive compared to regular cards of similar quality and have a lot of HOFers. Of course, they are kinda big compared to regular size card, if that's an issue.

Check out my son and mine's 1960s cards here (scroll down to see 64 Giants):

http://djshouseofcards-comics.com/baseba...ds_60s.htm

Thanks for looking!

Those Topps Giants are scary

Also, if you want a nice Mantle that wont kill you go for the 1958 Mantle AS - can be found in ex or better in the $100 range. 1957 Topps is a nice simple set. 1955 Bowman color TV is another classic one that wont break the bank

53 Bowman color #33 Pee Wee Reese is one of the most awesome cards ever produced. That is coming from a collector who also has a '51 Bowman Mantle and '33 Goudey Ruth. Check it out when you get a chance.

Just my opinion.

(09-22-2013, 03:32 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: What's your parameters for 'vintage'?
You've probably seen me post this before, but Beckett's parameters for vintage is Pre-1981. It has to do with the card manufacturing technology.
(09-21-2013, 08:27 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: On a personal note I have picked up many vintage from Reno Bertoia, who played in the 50s. Why? A personal connection. He is from my hometown of Windsor Ontario, and when I was a kid I caddied for him a few times at the Golf and Country Club I carried bags at for peanuts (Hey when your a kid in the 80s 10-15 bucks for 4 hours work in the summer sun sounded awesome at the time Smile ) and from what I remember was a great guy. He ended up being a high school teacher after his career, and a good friend of mine went to that high school and had him for some classes. He passed away just a few years ago. So Vintage from former players you had a connection of some sort as a kid...priceless.
+1 and 2 thumbs up!! Very touching comment. Thanks for sharing!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(09-21-2013, 06:08 PM)rentzington Wrote: These are what I keep eyeing at the lcs, though they are all about 70bucks
The LCS is overpriced (though that depends on what they have as far as backs and what players there are, of course). I built an entire Boston Nat'l team set and the most I paid for a single card was $50...most were around $20-30, and they are all definitely in presentable condition (no trimming or writing, only one or two have a flaw on the back).
Also, Exhibits are great cards....postcard sized b&w photos, really beautiful. I grabbed Warren Spahn and Eddie Mathews for like $15 each. Even the Mantles are affordable for Mantle.

There's also a Ruth card from a German margarine company called Sanella that is very affordable for 30's Ruth stuff...sometimes below $100...and the photo is really nice on it.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

(10-07-2013, 11:24 AM)mickey871 Wrote: 53 Bowman color #33 Pee Wee Reese is one of the most awesome cards ever produced. That is coming from a collector who also has a '51 Bowman Mantle and '33 Goudey Ruth. Check it out when you get a chance.

Just my opinion.
+1 that card is sick
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]