`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vintage cards that every collector should have that won't break the bank?

Vintage cards that every collector should have that won't break the bank?
I had been starting to dabble in vintage over the last year and has been picking up cheaper cards of hOF players but just figured I'd throw this out there to see if here are any cards that I may be overlooking that would be great for my vintage collection. Aaaaaaand, go!
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

RE: Vintage cards that every collector should have that won't break the bank?
I LOVE the 1960 Topps cards of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. They just look beautiful! You should be able to get a PSA 5 of each for about $30-$45.

To get a sweet Mantle, look at the 1964 Topps Giants. I am trying to get all the 1964 Topps Giants in PSA 8; need Koufax and one of the SPs to have all the stars, then will pick up the rest. The Topps Giants are very inexpensive compared to regular cards of similar quality and have a lot of HOFers. Of course, they are kinda big compared to regular size card, if that's an issue.

Check out my son and mine's 1960s cards here (scroll down to see 64 Giants):

http://djshouseofcards-comics.com/baseba...ds_60s.htm

Thanks for looking!

Any T-206 in any condition. That's my opinion.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(09-21-2013, 01:22 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Any T-206 in any condition. That's my opinion.
These are what I keep eyeing at the lcs, though they are all about 70bucks

I really like this card... 1972 topps all-time home run leaders. A few years before Aaron broke the record... Cool to see him in second place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-TOPPS-RUTH-...1c324b652b

Picked up a pretty clean raw one for $25...

When I am picking up vintage simply for the cool factor I usually look to Topps subsets... i.e. 1962 topps homerun leaders from the '61 Maris/Mantle chase...

I got a '59 topps Musial from when he broke the 3000 hit mark that is really clean to the eye for $15 bucks at the LCS a few months back... Maybe not the best cards investment-wise, but they won't break the bank and are really fun to look through.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(09-21-2013, 08:08 PM)petillo64 Wrote: When I am picking up vintage simply for the cool factor I usually look to Topps subsets... i.e. 1962 topps homerun leaders from the '61 Maris/Mantle chase.
I totally agree. What got me started with vintage was getting the subset cards from Topps. They are much more affordable and pretty cool at times. I also like getting low condition raw cards that I would not afford in high graded condition. It amazes me sometimes the discounts given for lower condition vintage cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

On a personal note I have picked up many vintage from Reno Bertoia, who played in the 50s. Why? A personal connection. He is from my hometown of Windsor Ontario, and when I was a kid I caddied for him a few times at the Golf and Country Club I carried bags at for peanuts (Hey when your a kid in the 80s 10-15 bucks for 4 hours work in the summer sun sounded awesome at the time Smile ) and from what I remember was a great guy. He ended up being a high school teacher after his career, and a good friend of mine went to that high school and had him for some classes. He passed away just a few years ago. So Vintage from former players you had a connection of some sort as a kid...priceless.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(09-21-2013, 05:21 AM)Haze28 Wrote: I had been starting to dabble in vintage over the last year and has been picking up cheaper cards of hOF players but just figured I'd throw this out there to see if here are any cards that I may be overlooking that would be great for my vintage collection. Aaaaaaand, go!
What's your parameters for 'vintage'?
70s and earlier?
If so, 1969 is a good set. It's not priced really crazy, it's a nice design and its the last year you can get Mantle.
Mays, Clemente, Aaron are all there and their prices aren't too insane, especially in lesser conditions. There are a few more HOF players in that set, might be a Ted Williams, as a manager, if I remember. Good luck!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

A couple affordable vintage sets that I like and have in my collection are loaded with Hall of Famers.

1961 Golden Press

1961 Nu-Card Baseball Scoops

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I've been starting to buy 1953 bowman color I really like this set and how all the players are posing recently got this enos slaughter [Image: AC12AC73-B1E1-4DDF-B2BD-2171C23861BD-627...c66e1f.jpg]
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]