`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage card grading values.....explaination?

Vintage card grading values.....explaination?
Ok, Ive been a modern card collector (mostly autograph inserts) for over 2 decades. Just recently (the last 2 years) the vintage cards are growing on me.
So after testing the waters buying a few mid to lower grade cards that I liked, I have a need to ask (as I wont buy ungraded vintage cards) what percentage of book value do you assign vintage grades?

a 6 is x % of book value
a 7 is x % of book value
and a 8 is x % of book value.

One of the reasons I ask is I seen a 1955 Bowman Eddie Mathews PSA 6 go for $33. Then a few minutes later a PSA 7 of the SAME CARD went for $100. The latest guide I have (Beckett Annual) lists it for $80 ungraded.

Be curious to hear everyones thoughts. Smile

RE: Vintage card grading values.....explaination?
i dont think there can be a set percentage across the board. with viontage, player matters, as does set. 1971 topps, for example, would skew any kind of blanket statement way off

even different allstars in the same set would have very different percentages

Maybe a better explanation of at least a $70 jump in price from a 6 to a 7 on a $80 card?
Also what would be considered the 50's and 60's PSA 8? a PSA 6 or 5?
Just opinions on how you guys determine how much to spend on each if anyone cant come up with a percentage calculator (which I would still love to see if anyone has advice).. Smile

Population reports also have a huge effect on PSA vintage. They have a set registry and guys want to say they have the best of the best and will pay through the nose for low pop #'s high grades. Ive seen low pop number commons with a bv of $15.00 sell for $500+. For graded vintage you have to do your homework. Look for pop reports, past sales, current asking prices and use all that to come up with a price your willing to pay.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket