`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Looking to meet more Set Builders

RE: Looking to meet more Set Builders
(08-22-2013, 12:44 AM)petillo64 Wrote: I have been on both sides of this frustration in trading. I've been back into things for 2 years now and each year I have put together two sets. In '12 it was Ginter and all regular sized insert sets and bowman, this year it is Bowman (1 card away) and Archives + all inserts + all autos (37 total cards away, including 20 autos)...

Anyway, I have tried to trade for base cards for my sets and have also tried to trade away my base cards for non-set-related cards after I have completed the set...

It's frustrating to me when someone has a bunch of your set needs (say $50 BV) and they ask for a $50 auto of a hot prospect etc... I'm happy to trade down when I am completing a set, but within reason...

When I try and trade away base, I am not looking for other random $1-2 base as I've just finished my set... If I have base cards someone needs I'll always counter open offers heavily in their favor when I am looking to trade up, usually 2:1 or something similar, depending on what cards I am asking for... Usually I'd be asking for $3-$10 inserts, Ser's, RC's, random base/parallel Jeters/Cabrera etc. that I could maybe use for better trade-bait down the road (or add to my RC PC).

Speaking of, I have a ton of base Bowman (and parallels/inserts) and archives base+inserts for trade if anyone is looking to complete those sets. All are marked.
That`s why I suggested earlier in this thread that we should have a set-builders thread with your tag and sets you are building so the other traders can find a place to dump their base that they don`t want and same with the guys that have a ton of dups from breaking alot trying to complete a set. Like Ginter and Heritage you have to buy multiple boxes to get close because of the large number of cards in the set. This way you can reference that thread looking for someone you can trade all of your unwanted base or insert (low bv) cards to and avoid all the cancelled trades and mis-directed anger when a person wants a $50 auto for $60 in base. If i`m not mistaken the "What do you collect thread" is really more for specific players or teams you may collect. I also think all the boards should have this set thread and maybe once it becomes easier to set-build again we might see more and new set-builders in our wonderful hobby and help change it from the instant gratification to more of the lifelong enjoyment,fullfillment that alot of us view it as!!

(08-22-2013, 06:50 AM)captbucco Wrote: That`s why I suggested earlier in this thread that we should have a set-builders thread with your tag and sets you are building so the other traders can find a place to dump their base that they don`t want and same with the guys that have a ton of dups from breaking alot trying to complete a set. Like Ginter and Heritage you have to buy multiple boxes to get close because of the large number of cards in the set. This way you can reference that thread looking for someone you can trade all of your unwanted base or insert (low bv) cards to and avoid all the cancelled trades and mis-directed anger when a person wants a $50 auto for $60 in base. If i`m not mistaken the "What do you collect thread" is really more for specific players or teams you may collect. I also think all the boards should have this set thread and maybe once it becomes easier to set-build again we might see more and new set-builders in our wonderful hobby and help change it from the instant gratification to more of the lifelong enjoyment,fullfillment that alot of us view it as!!
I think that would definitely be helpful... Trading extras of the base set you are building for the extra base you need is ideal...

I am curious and would like the rest of the people on this thread to chime in...

How opposed are you to trading RC's/Auto's/Relics/Ser's for set-building needs... While I agree that set needs for set needs is ideal, like you said, set-builders aren't that common and sometimes it is difficult to find someone... I don't have a problem with it as long as it is reasonable. The $50 auto for $60 in commons example you provided is terrible... But how would you feel about $60 of base superstars/RC's/commons for a $15-20 auto/Relic and a $10-12 RC?

If I really wanted to complete a set, and the person had a whole bunch of what I needed, I wouldn't have a problem with this at all... Just curious what others thoughts are.

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(08-22-2013, 10:22 AM)petillo64 Wrote: I think that would definitely be helpful... Trading extras of the base set you are building for the extra base you need is ideal...

I am curious and would like the rest of the people on this thread to chime in...

How opposed are you to trading RC's/Auto's/Relics/Ser's for set-building needs... While I agree that set needs for set needs is ideal, like you said, set-builders aren't that common and sometimes it is difficult to find someone... I don't have a problem with it as long as it is reasonable. The $50 auto for $60 in commons example you provided is terrible... But how would you feel about $60 of base superstars/RC's/commons for a $15-20 auto/Relic and a $10-12 RC?

If I really wanted to complete a set, and the person had a whole bunch of what I needed, I wouldn't have a problem with this at all... Just curious what others thoughts are.
I have no problem trading this way. My theory is if it is up for trade, then I don't want it. I will do hits for base and keep the values around equal. In my experience many traders are happy to do away with base and usually request less BV then the large base lot in these hit type cards just looking for what they collect. I've done it the other way around to allowing more BV to be requested, especially when I trade for large lots, as my traders shipping will be higher, especially with crossing the border.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Great thread!! I'm so happy to see so many collectors that don't think base and commons are just junk like I've been told. I'm in the hunt for Mets, I don't care if their only worth a penny!! I don't have any of my cards up for trade simply because I'm not home. So I've took all the cards I was trading off for trading but if anyone see's something in my org. send a message and if you don't mind waiting I'll make a list.

Another set builder here. Currently working on 30 sets at last count. Still trying to get my organize organized.

I didn't mind trading autos/GU/inserts for my set needs. The problem that I have found is that some collectors who are not interested in base cards don't take care of them as they do their high dollar cards and end up jamming them into a 5000 ct box without so much as a penny sleeve. As a set builder that base card I need means just as much to me as that auto you want. I'm very picky about my sets. I try and get as close to nm/mt-mt as possible. Can't even tell you how many times I traded a med/high dollar card for a bunch of base and received a load of bent corner/unsleeved cards in a team bag. Its frustrating so I don't trade for base anymore. Its the reason I have 30 unfinished sets.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

No, I don`t mind throwing some g/u or even a low level auto out for some base, but it seems like everyone`s gotten too used to the idea of 50 bv is 50 bv. I don`t think that`s always the case. I know it`s more of a guide and by no means am I so picky or particular that every trade needs to be scrutinized, but sometimes 50 bv- 50bv isn`t really an even trade whether you really want the card or not. Sometimes I feel like I`m getting taken advantage of because I want to complete a set. So if someone has alot of base I need and to them they`re worthless they still try and get and auto equal of 50.00 in base cards which really is not an even trade. That`s why I suggested a separate thread so it makes it easier to identify who the set builders are and makes it easier to trade with someone who is used too and willing to trade 50 bucks in base/inserts for 50 bucks in base/inserts

I think set collectors are a great bunch of people. I dont collect sets myself unless I really like the set. I do however collect the rookies, and my players I like so when I buy boxes I always have cards up for trade. If you are wanting 100 cards that book for .60 each. I try my best to find my player for 1-2.00 each and trade at 1/2 BV. One member here in this thread knows this is true ( not only that I even sent him some extras of a team he collects) Shhh dont tell him
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(08-22-2013, 10:51 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I think set collectors are a great bunch of people. I dont collect sets myself unless I really like the set. I do however collect the rookies, and my players I like so when I buy boxes I always have cards up for trade. If you are wanting 100 cards that book for .60 each. I try my best to find my player for 1-2.00 each and trade at 1/2 BV. One member here in this thread knows this is true ( not only that I even sent him some extras of a team he collects) Shhh dont tell him
And if that member knew ahead of time I'm sure he would offer his many thanks for all the help you provide to himself and other set builders, and would be very happy to recommend you to everyone in this post who is looking to trade with you. I'm sure he would also be very grateful for all your help, and as soon as he can find the dang thing he knows he has but not just exaclty where in his basement, he has something he would send along as a thank you for 2 extremely large trades over the past 6 months that helped really fill alot of empty binder pages.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I'm currently looking to complete these sets:

2007 Turkey Red
2013 Gypsy Queen
2013 Topps Cut to the Chase
2013 Topps The Greats
2013 Topps Heritage

Need mostly SPs out of TR and GQ. All my needs should be in my org (with the possible exception of Heritage since I made a bunch of trades for it lately) Any help appreciated!
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

i collect 2013 gypsy queen and 2013 series 1. Have many dupes of both