Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How was your national experience?
Big Grin 
How was your national experience?
I had kind of a bad experience. I was only able to come today but I live an hour away so it was still worth it Tongue I'm about to go on a little rant.
So, I guess this is why I like ebay better. Sellers cannot see what you look like. I'm a pretty short guy (5'2") and apparently to the dealers, I don't look like I can afford a card more than $10. Some dealers were very nice and greeted everyone, like where I bought the tannehill that I will show at the end of this thread. MOST dealers however, did not say a word. Just as an experiment, I stood at a few high end booths for a few minutes each (I.E. Jordan auto's, high end griffin/luck/pujols/trout, etc.) and no one said a word to me. Then a big lookin' guy would start looking and 2 second later the dealer springs up from his seat, "HEY, WHAT CAN I DO FOR YA?" I walked away immediately. They won't get my business.
Another major problem, is that 95% of dealers didn't have their cards priced. That would be FINE if the dealers were actually there. I would ask for a price, and every single time, "the dealer went away to buy some stuff for a few minutes" Then I would return 10 minutes later, still not there. Very unorganized. I walked home with half of the money I planned to spend still left.
Sorry for the rant lol. Now onto the good stuff!
First, I bought two boxes because almost all of the cards were overpriced (forgot to mention that too).
Prizm baseball for $45. PC hit with rios. (sorry for the sideways pics)
[Image: 9718A39F-7037-4B3C-969D-0551760DCA9D-120...82d566.jpg]
Then, an inception for $80.
wilson, will be for trade
[Image: 5FC07AB1-2686-4761-AA85-0333EAA402DB-120...e31a48.jpg]
Hopkins, will be for trade
[Image: CB309694-864F-49E8-AD57-285AD0F3A9E7-120...b0d077.jpg]
Go badgers!!! (PC) not for trade.
[Image: FB048A62-EFC1-4AB0-A2FE-9093C2FF705E-120...0fba27.jpg]
Awesome box. Regretted the prizm though lol.
Now onto the pickups. Struggled to get this one. Came back three times to get a price because the dealer wasn't there, the other guy found another dealer that had his phone number. $50. PC
[Image: 106A2220-A5C3-4213-B43E-361DF1CCEDE8-120...224ffd.jpg]
Another PC item. Dealer was AWESOME!!!! Very nice guy. Greeted everyone. That's why he got my business. $50
[Image: 3F80DFB6-1026-435B-BC44-6876FFC75C7B-120...12ee2f.jpg]
This was the very first thing I got, but it's my favorite. I guess I like the $50 price, because every one of these cards were $50 lol. Another nice guy. PC
[Image: C0B916D1-912E-402F-BF53-77C545BD5D19-136...1a13ca.jpg]
Thanks for looking everyone! Only cards for trade are the hopkins and tyler wilson. Comments are appreciated and I want to hear about your nationals experience Big Grin
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

RE: How was your national experience?
Was this in Rosemont, IL? I was in Chicago on a family vacation and we stayed at the Crown Plaza in Rosemont last night. Across from the hotel was the convention center, and some sports collectibles show was going on. I didn't have time to go in-between all the family stuff though.

(08-04-2013, 11:34 PM)mnc99 Wrote: Was this in Rosemont, IL? I was in Chicago on a family vacation and we stayed at the Crown Plaza in Rosemont last night. Across from the hotel was the convention center, and some sports collectibles show was going on. I didn't have time to go in-between all the family stuff though.
That's it! It's even worth the admissions price to just see all of the crazy cards. From mantle rookies to luck 1/1's it's pretty cool Smile that's a really nice hotel too.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Glad you got some good things. Your experience is pretty much what I hear from most people though. Not friendly, way WAY overpriced, etc.

Glad you got a nice box of inception though...that Montee Ball is beautiful!!
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

I love going to these shows but you are right about the dealers for sure. Cards are always WAY over priced and a lot of them talk to you like you don't know anything about cards at all when you ask for a price. Then if you try to sell anything they want to give you less than half of what they sell for, which I understand they need to make money as well but come on. I usually price my cards to where we both can make some money but then they act like my prices are double what they sell for, like most of their prices on their cards. There are still a handful of dealers that are very nice and reasonable but for the most part the majority of them I won't do business with at all. Most of these guys are at all the big shows and the more you go to them you will learn who to deal with and who to stay away from. There are several that I know and when I come across their booth to just keep walking. All in all still fun to see all the nice stuff though.
[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

Sweet pickups!.... whos that tannehill guy? Smile

I got to spend tons of cash and get a bunch of stuff I wanted...... And I didnt even leave RI....lol

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

being I only buy singles, and I won't pay those silly dealer prices, I tend to steer clear of shows... would be nice to take my son to one eventually, but with all the rude, and horrible attitudes from dealers, let alone their insane and unreal prices, I would rather keep him out of them as much as possible... online is the way to go for us...Smile
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

The show was a major contributing factor toe ready to leave the hobby. If it makes you feel any better I managed to piss of Roberto Duran when he wa signing a boxing glove for me. He couldn't understand it was a gift for someone and had a hard time understanding the inscription request. Probably my highlight as sad as that sounds.
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.

LOVE the Montee patch auto! Great inception box overall, I'd say.
Always interested in any Wisco alums I don't have.
[Image: banner2_zpsa33ddbe8.jpg]
The Wisconsin Collection

(08-04-2013, 11:46 PM)chasescardcave Wrote: That's it! It's even worth the admissions price to just see all of the crazy cards. From mantle rookies to luck 1/1's it's pretty cool Smile that's a really nice hotel too.
dang, I wish I would have had time to check it out.