`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cost per card to grade

cost per card to grade
I have been debating all week whether I wanted to post this or not. First, I want to say I trust Beckett Grading for a proper grade on my cards. I also trust SGC, but PSA is a different story since the news came out about PSA overgrading.

Now, for my complaint. I have been comparing grading prices on the 20 day service level. Please understand I do NOT have unlimited funds to spend on grading. But I love to collect and feel my higher value cards need to be graded. Anyway, why is it for the 20 day service the cost per card (depending on how many you send) is anywhere from $9 to $12 per card. SGC would charge me $7 per card, minimum of 10. As an example, if I sent in 20 cards, Beckett would charge me $11 per card for a total of $220. The same 20 cards on SGC would be $140. This is an $80 dollar difference and I have way more than 20 cards I'd like to get graded. Why so much per card? And secondly, is the Beckett name good enough, if I would ever decide to sell (not likely, but in a life threatening illness I would) would Beckett graded cards sell for at least the $80 more?????

This has really been bothering me, because deep down, I like Beckett, as I said I trust them, but spending $80 (or more) extra does rankle me. Just the $80 difference in my example above would get me 11 more cards graded at SGC.

It is not my intention here to step on anyone's toes. I guess I am wanting to hear substantial justification one way or the other, as I would prefer to stick with Beckett.

Bamyanks (Brian Blankenburg)
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

RE: cost per card to grade
If it were me I would go with BGS on all of the modern cards and if you're grading vintage I would say SGC.
All of your modern cards should sell much easier in the BGS slab and for quite a bit more, SGC is liked for their pre-war grades.
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

my problem is, I've already started my 61 set with BVG. I guess I could go everything else to SGC.

(08-01-2013, 05:39 PM)bamyanks Wrote: my problem is, I've already started my 61 set with BVG. I guess I could go everything else to SGC.
What sport is your 61 set?
[Image: DEAN%20SMITH%20MICHAEL%20JORDAN%20BANNER...qrwcus.jpg]

(08-01-2013, 06:12 PM)patrick54 Wrote: What sport is your 61 set?
Sorry, I should have said Baseball. Normally, baseball is all I really collect, but I do a few Johnny Unitas and Matt Blair in football. I was at ISU when Matt Blair played there.

I see your point but your question is basically like asking why a burger at one resturant costs more than a burger at another.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

Keep an eye on the forums for baseball, football, and (maybe?) basketball. There's bound to be a user doing group subs for a bit of a price break within the next month and a half or so.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(08-04-2013, 12:55 PM)y2hood Wrote: Keep an eye on the forums for baseball, football, and (maybe?) basketball. There's bound to be a user doing group subs for a bit of a price break within the next month and a half or so.
Thanks for the tip.

i am new to this and would be very happy with any advice/feedback! i have over 300(between1950-2013) baseball, football, basketball, and nascar cards and the cheapest cards are between $10-$20 all the way up to $800-$1200 and the autograph cards hard saying. i really need (but hate too) to sell them to cover over $10,000 in medical bills for my kid . if it were you what advice would help me sale them. i'm ignorant on grading cards and what the best/cheapest price to grade them and what steps would you take(websites, places to sell the cards after they're graded, etc..) if you were in my shoes? thank you so much for taking the time to read this and comment!! have a great day!!

(08-27-2013, 01:16 AM)jase22 Wrote: i am new to this and would be very happy with any advice/feedback! i have over 300(between1950-2013) baseball, football, basketball, and nascar cards and the cheapest cards are between $10-$20 all the way up to $800-$1200 and the autograph cards hard saying. i really need (but hate too) to sell them to cover over $10,000 in medical bills for my kid . if it were you what advice would help me sale them. i'm ignorant on grading cards and what the best/cheapest price to grade them and what steps would you take(websites, places to sell the cards after they're graded, etc..) if you were in my shoes? thank you so much for taking the time to read this and comment!! have a great day!!
IF it were me, I don't know what I would do. Maybe IF you posted scans of some of the cards that YOU think look the best maybe that would allow us to give better advice. Sometimes Grading will bring the card's value down IF it's a low grade. IF your cards are not in very good condition, I recommend just selling them as raw (ungraded).
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!