`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!

Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!
Hey everyone,

I have always wanted to pick up a 1994 Skybox Hoops MB1 Bird/ Magic Auto. There is usually 1 or 2 available on the popular auction site at any given time, though they are never authenticated. I have heard that this is one of the most counterfeited cards out there. Even to the point that "they" have faked the embossed stamping. Does anyone have any insight I to these allegations or how to better my chances of getting a legit copy? Or is it at the point that I should avoid the card unless it is slabbed and authenticated? Thanks in advance.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

RE: Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1994 MB1 Auto (Bird/Magic)
I would advise to avoid the card unless it is slabbed as authenticated by a good authenticator like JSA. If you must get it raw then I highly recommend that you don't buy one online, but rather buy one in person that you can more carefully examine. If you still insist on buying it online, then consider finding a seller with EXTREMELY high 100% positive feedback and make sure they are willing to refund you the costs if it comes back as being faked when sent to be authenticated. Even then I would still be a little hesitant since it would cost you to get it authenticated, and if it doesn't come back as legit you are most likely going to have to fight with the seller to get refunded for the wasted cost of authentication (or just be out that extra expense). Most good sellers realize the extra value these cards have when authenticated, so if they know they are legit then they will get them authenticated themselves rather than get less money for the card or have to deal with an unsatisfied buyer.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

def agree with djohn, but I hope you can find one! I've wanted one for years, but I've been too afraid!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Ah, I can be of use (finally).

Ok, noted the safe way is to pick up one that is already graded.
BUT, if prices are too high, I can give some pointers.

1: Dont buy one if the Magic autograph is in blue!
Magic did not sign these in blue ink!
For some reason ALOT of fakes I seen had the Magic autograph in blue ink. Once compared to a real one you can see the difference in the signature.
Pay attention to the Magic autograph. The Bird is a little sloppy, but for some reason the Magic signature is a little harder to fake.

2: Take a GOOD look at the Skybox embossing on them.
Most fakes didnt seem to get the full embossing. Maybe the way they faked them? I dunno.
But a safe way to judge is to CLEARLY read the word "Skybox" across the sunburst design.

3: Does it have the Skybox letter?
These were originally issued with a "congrats" letter from Skybox.
Many of these were lost over the years, but some people still have them.

Take it from me, after doing some studying I bought one 10 YEARS ago from the Bay, and just 2 years ago had it graded by PSA (dont trust JSA) and it came back a PSA 9.

Good luck

(07-31-2013, 03:28 PM)creativemunky Wrote: Ah, I can be of use (finally).

Ok, noted the safe way is to pick up one that is already graded.
BUT, if prices are too high, I can give some pointers.

1: Dont buy one if the Magic autograph is in blue!
Magic did not sign these in blue ink!
For some reason ALOT of fakes I seen had the Magic autograph in blue ink. Once compared to a real one you can see the difference in the signature.
Pay attention to the Magic autograph. The Bird is a little sloppy, but for some reason the Magic signature is a little harder to fake.

2: Take a GOOD look at the Skybox embossing on them.
Most fakes didnt seem to get the full embossing. Maybe the way they faked them? I dunno.
But a safe way to judge is to CLEARLY read the word "Skybox" across the sunburst design.

3: Does it have the Skybox letter?
These were originally issued with a "congrats" letter from Skybox.
Many of these were lost over the years, but some people still have them.

Take it from me, after doing some studying I bought one 10 YEARS ago from the Bay, and just 2 years ago had it graded by PSA (dont trust JSA) and it came back a PSA 9.

Good luck
Thank you all for the great advice. If the piece regarding the blue ink is accurate that is huge as the majority of ones that show up on auction are in blue ink. I inquired about a raw copy earlier today and the seller told me not to worry as he recently picked up a lot of cards that he was piecing out and had found three of these cards so it had to be good.

My hunt will continue. I checked population reports and the number of authenticated copies of this are limited. To. Further that it seems like people have had copies of the base insert autographed second hand and then authenticated. While this is a great ip auto it is not THE card. Part of the hunt is finding the card I couldn't have as a kid.

As others have said avoid those that are not graded including PSA/DNA graded. I've see. A couple PSA/DNA with Magic sig in blue. One is currently on the bay. Go for a straight PSA/SCG.

I had wanted one since 1994 too and finally pulled the trigger on this one.
[Image: MJiWM.jpg]

Good luck

(08-04-2013, 01:36 AM)scoobiesnackarff Wrote: As others have said avoid those that are not graded including PSA/DNA graded. I've see. A couple PSA/DNA with Magic sig in blue. One is currently on the bay. Go for a straight PSA/SCG.

I had wanted one since 1994 too and finally pulled the trigger on this one.
[Image: MJiWM.jpg]

Good luck
Beautiful! Congrats. The ones on the bay right now in blue ink are legitimate autographs. They seller got a bunch of the standard insert cards and got them signed in person at a later date. They are real, but their not the authentic/ original piece.

(08-04-2013, 06:52 AM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Beautiful! Congrats. The ones on the bay right now in blue ink are legitimate autographs. They seller got a bunch of the standard insert cards and got them signed in person at a later date. They are real, but their not the authentic/ original piece.
Yep, that's whats I meant. I'm surprised that Magic/Bird would auto a card in person that they were licensed to auto back in 1994.

RE: Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!
So I have been looking for this card for a long time. Every now and again I get weak and think of gambling on a raw version. I'm glad I didn't. This can be a diamond in the rough card, it was a rare hit, and even not a larger percentage of the priginals have been slabbed and authenticated. Searching to buy one can be additionally challenging as sellers aren't consistent with haw they label it.

I'm still paranoid that someone is going to see this and questions its authenticity for all the reasons discussed above. It is authenticated and has the Skybox embossing. It's as good as it gets IMO.

[Image: 8cfa62c0e6bda62da1216b8a7ca97c5f_zps5ae7705e.jpg]
[Image: b070bf68b482a6f75943f8eaa6b70466_zps10f4d536.jpg]

RE: Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!
Wow!!! Congrats. Looks authentic to me. Beautiful card man! That Bird auto looks really nice!
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]