`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!

RE: Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!
Nice!

The odds on pulling one of those back in the day was ridiculous...

Cards like that don't get enough respect!

Glad to see that you appreciate just how epic that card is!

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

RE: Advice needed... How to identify a counterfit. 1993-94 MB1 Auto UPDATE: GOT IT!
Is this card originally a redemption or directly inserted into packs?
If it is a redemption, it might be possible that many of them weren't pulled and redeemed before expiration, given the probable astronomical odds, hence the possible reason for not showing up on eBay/trading card forums often.
- certified autograph card sets builder (basketball only and mostly from 90's)
- also collect legends and stars on-card autographs, and anything that catches my eyes (mostly basketball)

(08-07-2013, 11:08 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: Wow!!! Congrats. Looks authentic to me. Beautiful card man! That Bird auto looks really nice!
Thanks, yeah it looks great in person. Not that I care, but I'm shocked it only has a grade of 8. Maybe a bit off center.
(08-07-2013, 11:37 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: Nice!

The odds on pulling one of those back in the day was ridiculous...

Cards like that don't get enough respect!

Glad to see that you appreciate just how epic that card is!
Thank you. I'm glad you can appreciate this card. I'm relatively new into my second life in the hobby and it amazes me how much play rookies such as Bradlely Beal or Andre Drummond get when they each have dozens and dozens of autos available while some major cards like this take the back seat. Outside of the major RCs (Jordan, Jordan XRC, Erving, Chamberlain, Maravich, Russell, Bird/Magic, Kobe Chrome, etc,) I personally consider this one of he 10 most influential cards of al, times. It is a 1993-94 on card auto, they just weren't doing that then. It has two of the best ever to play the game, and it commemorates the respect and battles these two greats had for each other dating back to college. Cards like this just aren't available anymore.
(08-07-2013, 12:12 PM)bjho1983 Wrote: Is this card originally a redemption or directly inserted into packs?
If it is a redemption, it might be possible that many of them weren't pulled and redeemed before expiration, given the probable astronomical odds, hence the possible reason for not showing up on eBay/trading card forums often.
It was a redemption. While it is romantic to think that not all were redeemed, and for sure this is true, I'm sure all of them hit the market. Fleer sold the house when they went under, I'm sure these made it out there. However, I would guess many are lost in closets of mom's house, ruined due to poor storage, or just forgotten about.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(08-07-2013, 05:48 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: It was a redemption. While it is romantic to think that not all were redeemed, and for sure this is true, I'm sure all of them hit the market. Fleer sold the house when they went under, I'm sure these made it out there. However, I would guess many are lost in closets of mom's house, ruined due to poor storage, or just forgotten about.
That would be true if/when all of these actual cards were signed in advance.
Now this could simply be my imagination, but do you think that it is possible that these cards were signed after Fleer determined the number of redemption actually received/redeemed?

- certified autograph card sets builder (basketball only and mostly from 90's)
- also collect legends and stars on-card autographs, and anything that catches my eyes (mostly basketball)

(08-07-2013, 06:05 PM)bjho1983 Wrote: That would be true if/when all of these actual cards were signed in advance.
Now this could simply be my imagination, but do you think that it is possible that these cards were signed after Fleer determined the number of redemption actually received/redeemed?
After I saw your message I thought of that. My thought would be they were all signed in bulk sessions. The cards did not expire within a single season, so I would assume Bird and Magic were given the cards in bulk, signed them all and maybe had a second session at the end of the season. I wouldn't think a company would want to either A.) not redeem the cards until after the redemption period expired and they knew exactly how many to fulfill, or B.) Try to hunt down Bird who is not the most approachable guy several months or years after the initial signing date.

Good job.
Looks legit.
I forgot to mention the size of the Magic auto as well. As you can see with everyones posted pics in this thread Magic signed kinda small in that black ink.
A majority of the fakes (probably all from the same guy that was duplicating the embossing) for some reason had big blue sigs. I wouldnt trust them if you even paid me to buy it.

The one you got is good! Good for you.

(08-08-2013, 04:28 PM)creativemunky Wrote: Good job.
Looks legit.
I forgot to mention the size of the Magic auto as well. As you can see with everyones posted pics in this thread Magic signed kinda small in that black ink.
A majority of the fakes (probably all from the same guy that was duplicating the embossing) for some reason had big blue sigs. I wouldnt trust them if you even paid me to buy it.

The one you got is good! Good for you.
Thanks man! I'm like a kid with a cool Christmas present (like a game boy dr. Mario or something). I keep going into the closet and taking it out just to look at it.

(08-10-2013, 05:47 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Thanks man! I'm like a kid with a cool Christmas present (like a game boy dr. Mario or something). I keep going into the closet and taking it out just to look at it.
That's how I felt after finally receiving mine. I started collecting basketball cards in 1994 and Fleer Ultra was my GO TO brand. My dad would regularly buy me packs because he enjoyed the feeling of opening them and hey, I loved it because I was given the cards. When I saw Hoops and the Magic/Bird card I immediately started to buy packs whenever at the shop and I was sure I would have one out of those 14000+ packs but alas it never came to be.

It took almost 20 years but finally getting that card in the mail was one of the highlights of my collecting life. There are many cards that have come after which may have a greater monetary value, include game used memorabilia, and are much more limited, but it's this card that has always been that one card which left me envious. Needless to say I know how you feel and frankly it's what the hobby should be about.