`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of sweet pick-ups this week

Couple of sweet pick-ups this week
Got these two this week. One off the Bay & the other from a trade. Love the Ernie/Jordan card! I just discovered it and had to have it.

1995 SP #CB1 E.Irvan/Michael Jordan

[Image: IMG_0214_zps2bbd4592.jpg]

1996 Viper Black Mamba #41 Rusty Wallace 367/499

[Image: IMG_0215_zps0e35a48d.jpg]

Thanks for taking a look! Be Well, friends!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

RE: Couple of sweet pick-ups this week
Nice cards, I've seen similar "Idol" cards but not a "Comebacks" card, surprised they decided to do a race car driver and a basketball player.

Jerry
Collect: Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Danica Patrick

[Image: echo1_zpsb2d0eada.png]

Nice cards, Jason. I ALSO am surprised to see Irvan on a card with MJ!

BTW, I did pull an Irvan in my little re-pack box I got at Target the other day. Not at all a great card but you may need it. It is a Classic 5-Sport Sig. Series base card and I'm holding it for you. It's in my ORG. Still working on getting those other 3 for you. I'll LYK when I have more details.

As far as I can tell, there is no other "Comebacks" card other than this Irvan/Jordan. I'm assuming since they both made their respective in 1995, it was a special insert Upper Deck put in the SP set. Like y'all, I have no idea why they would have paired these two on one card, but there it is. Like I said, once I discovered it's existence, I had to have it. Picked it up for $8 on the Bay. It was by far the cheapest copy listed and I'm very happy to have it!

On a side note, I believe Derek (dbrookerd) and I have come to an agreement on his Rusty Auto/24...and I get to keep my Bubba Starling to boot! I'm quite excited to get it...I know a scan is (or was, not checked since) posted in his thread over in the baseball forums...but once I get it in-hand, I'll post my own scan here to show it off.

Thank you for the kind comments! Be Well, my friends - Jason
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

Upper deck was doing racing at the time. They also have to this day michael jordan under contract so...

The card was created because they both came back to their respective sports at about the same time. Michael after his misguided baseball career and Ernie after his bad accident.

What better way to help sell racing to non racing collectors. Find a way to put michael jordan in the racing product and make it appealing to bball collectors.

They also put some of their other exclusive athletes in racing to help sell it also.

CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

(07-26-2013, 07:11 PM)shelbysaleen Wrote: Upper deck was doing racing at the time. They also have to this day michael jordan under contract so...

The card was created because they both came back to their respective sports at about the same time. Michael after his misguided baseball career and Ernie after his bad accident.

What better way to help sell racing to non racing collectors. Find a way to put michael jordan in the racing product and make it appealing to bball collectors.

They also put some of their other exclusive athletes in racing to help sell it also.
That does make a lot of sense. And it also reminded me of another card that further backs up your point. I have this one in my Rusty collection:

1995 Upper Deck #133 Michael Jordan CPC

[Image: IMG_0243_zps91c321dd.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0244_zps78054c3b.jpg]

And Adam, Jerry, & Michael, maybe you guys & North Carolinians can claim Rusty for having lived in North Carolina...but he's from Missouri! Wink

-=-

THATS What i was just reading the nc thing. I do not know any north carolina fan that claims rusty as a tarheel. Most of the drivers only live here till their careers are done if that long. Now Richard Petty, Dale jarrett, ned dale sr. ET C they are from nc.

Shoot even kenny cant wait to move back to missouri. LOL
CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

Don't worry Jason, even though I am a transplant, I would never claim Rusty Smile

Jerry
Collect: Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Danica Patrick

[Image: echo1_zpsb2d0eada.png]

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin Michael, the Kenny comment made me laugh out loud...thank you!

And Jerry, I don't mind if you or anyone claims Rusty...he was a great driver and competitor! I just found it funny how Upper Deck worded the back of that card...almost like he is from NC. I just wanted to make sure anyone reading this thread doesn't leave misinformed. lol

Yea, LOTS of drivers live in NC during their racing days. Then they move back home when they retire. I wouldn't claim any athlete a Carolinian (I can't say Tarheel--I'm a Duke & NC State fan. Wink ) unless they were born here or came to NC/SC as a youth and stayed after their career ended.
As you can see by who I collect, I really don't care if they are from the Carolinas. I collect or cheer for drivers b/c of their skills, personality, and (more recently) what team they drive for.

Examples:
1. Mark Martin is from ARK; JJ & JG - CAL; Kasey Kahne - WAS; Kyle B. - NEV; Trevor Bayne - TEX; Danica - WIS; Ambrose - Australia; Rudd - VA
Dale Jarrett and Dale Jr. ARE from NC but that's not why I collect them. Actually, I only collect DEJr. b/c he is a Hendrick driver now. I also used to have a small Rusty collection until I traded the majority of it to you, Jason.

2. I don't collect Brian Vickers, but I root for him b/c he has skill AND he was born and raised in NC, about an hour or so drive from my hometown. I also used to root for Jeff Burton (not that I cheer against him now) b/c he is from South Boston, VA -- also not too far from my hometown.

As a final little tidbit of info, Micheal Jordan is also NOT from NC. He was born in NY! I think he is only staying associated with NC b/c of the fame he has here as a former Tarheel player. Even though he won 6 NBA rings in Chicago, he has more fame and opportunities in NC. I think that failed MLB attempt (that shelby mentioned) tarnished him a bit in Chicago.