Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER
Shocked 
I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER
I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER to a target in college point, about 2 min from my house, the cards are on this little booth with pokemon and stuff right in the front by the register and saw some like 35+ yr old guy looking through, I just needed to buy some cheap drinking glasses for the house so I just walked by. I grab my stuff and come back to pay by the 2nd register to the left of the cards booth thing.

I look over and see this skinny old guy with one of those scales you use to weigh mail or jewelry sitting on the floor and literally weighing 100s of bowman baseball packs! I couldn't believe how he was doing that right out in the open and stuff! wow man.

anyway I tell my girl to stay on line and pay for our stuffwked over to the dude and was "dude are you serious right now". the guy tells me he does it ALL THE TIME AND THE MANAGER KNOWS AND HE DOESNT CARE! ! I couldn't believe it.

so it seemed as soon as I walked away to go back to the register he got up from the floor with like 5 packs and went and paid for them.

makes me sick, but if its "legal" I guess its ok? just a moral thing I guess.

this reminds me of those "hot pack" sellers on ebay, if the hit is good they just keep it, if its not they reseal those packs and sell as them as "hot packs"

and for a second I thought about doing it myself, since its "legal", but I respect this hobby too much to pull something like that man, that's messed up
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Lebron James RC's + autos
Kobe Bryant 96-97 Topps Chrome + autos
Geno Smith autos

RE: I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER LMFAO!
35 is old?

(07-24-2013, 11:26 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: 35 is old?
im 26 lol
(07-24-2013, 11:28 AM)AlexRafco Wrote: im 26 lol
by old I mean for the situation, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a high school kid, or even someone around my age doing something like that, but seeing a older 30's man doing it, ya know?
I collect mainly New York Mets, New York Sports legends of any sport, and pretty much any "legend".

Michael Jordan
Geno Smith autos

which is creepier searching sealed packs where even if you find one that weighs more you will likely still get a scrub player. Or sneaking around corners and ducking behind registers to watch said person and/or take cell phone pics of them ?

I know if I was a security officer or policeman which one I'd be more suspicious of. lol

[Image: packsearcher_zpsf3aaac40.jpg]

I may be in the minority here, but even though I think all pack searchers are huge, steaming smelly pieces of s--t and I wish there was a way to exterminate all of those cockroaches, the guys with the scales don't bother me as much as the ones like the piece of crap we have in our area ...

He literally feels up every pack, sometimes even opening the top of the pack to peek inside (like to see if there's a jersey card) ... he also digs his fingernails into the packs to fan the cards upward inside the pack (it's like, how can you tell anything by doing it that way?)

Plus, he's ugly as s--t and it just depresses me to see someone hate themselves that much.

I rat him out to security all the time and they never do s--t about it.

The guys with the scales crack me up, because ...

A) Can't you just tell a pack either has a decoy card or jersey card just by looking at it (ie. it's like twice as thick)?

B) Nowadays, especially Topps, they could put as many as two or three fillers per pack with their Million Card giveaway codes, security tab fillers, etc. ... so just because a pack is heavier literally means almost nothing these days.

Ugh, that's sweet that you confronted him.

Personally, I think it's just lame to sit there and do that stuff. I know the whole thing about the kids will come up but I hope they aren't expecting autographed/"game used" cards anyway. It's just one but when my son wants a pack of cards, he's just happy to get a player from either the Red Sox/Yankees/Pirates/Nationals and/or a couple of other teams.

I don't think anybody outside of the hobby would care one way or the other. Hell, the grocery stores around here allow people to pull the husk off of ears of corn to inspect it and then just leave it there if they don't want it. They even have trash bins for what they peel off. I can't imagine a store is going to care about a pack of trading cards.

(07-24-2013, 11:33 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: which is creepier searching sealed packs where even if you find one that weighs more you will likely still get a scrub player. Or sneaking around corners and ducking behind registers to watch said person and/or take cell phone pics of them ?

I know if I was a security officer or policeman which one I'd be more suspicious of. lol

[Image: packsearcher_zpsf3aaac40.jpg]
sneaking around and ducking? i asked dude are u serious, laughed, and left.

from what im hearing here i guess your a pack searcher too?

Michael Jordan
Geno Smith autos

RE: I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER
I love that he was weighing Bowman, which has next to no memorabilia cards in it. The only weight difference would be if there was a mini chrome replacing another chrome or if there was a sticker auto, if that would even make a difference.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

RE: I CAUGHT A PACK SEARCHER
(07-24-2013, 11:53 AM)cross4444 Wrote: I love that he was weighing Bowman, which has next to no memorabilia cards in it. The only weight difference would be if there was a mini chrome replacing another chrome or if there was a sticker auto, if that would even make a difference.
Yeah, I thought about that, too ... you'd have to have a pretty high quality scale to pick up those hundredths of an ounce or whatever.

And even if it was a mini, there are like 150 of them in the set, right? Not good odds of pulling a Puig!

(07-24-2013, 11:38 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I don't think anybody outside of the hobby would care one way or the other.
+1. Retail stores should put cards in those semi-locked cabinets like deoderant or razors...would help cut back on the problem.

PS....I like schucking my corn at the store because (1) not having that mess at home and (2) not ending up with a ear of corn that looked like it was on a diet while growing....ie all husk (lol....I do get and understand your point)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.