`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Inception experimentation

My Inception experimentation
Decided that the price of one box for 5 cards was too much for me. My experiment was to take the $149 per box (blowouts price .... Now on sale for $119) and pick up single cards on eBay.
Here are the results

[Image: null_zpsd259aa16.jpg]

For about $143.50 I picked up

9 auto base cards
Jake Marisnick, Greg Polanco, Barrett Barnes (2), Mark Montgomery (2), Tyler Austin, Jorge Soler, and Shelby Miller

6 auto relics
Rymer Liriano, Jake Marisnick (3), Slade Heathcott (2)

3 serial numbered cards
Daniel Corcino /99, Tyler Austin /50, Mark Montgomery /50

1 Bowman Black
Casey Kelly /25 silver ink

19 cards, almost 4 boxes worth of cards for under $150. I think I did okay, got some of my Yankee prospects, nothing earth shattering ... No Puigs, but no redemptions either Smile

The following doubles are for trade, once pricing hits the OPG, if interested!
Barnes (cubs), Marisnick Relic/ auto (2) (Marlins), Heathcott relic auto (Yankees)
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: My Inception experimentation
(07-24-2013, 12:51 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Decided that the price of one box for 5 cards was too much for me. My experiment was to take the $149 per box (blowouts price .... Now on sale for $119) and pick up single cards on eBay.
Here are the results

[Image: null_zpsd259aa16.jpg]

For about $143.50 I picked up

9 auto base cards
Jake Marisnick, Greg Polanco, Barrett Barnes (2), Mark Montgomery (2), Tyler Austin, Jorge Soler, and Shelby Miller

6 auto relics
Rymer Liriano, Jake Marisnick (3), Slade Heathcott (2)

3 serial numbered cards
Daniel Corcino /99, Tyler Austin /50, Mark Montgomery /50

1 Bowman Black
Casey Kelly /25 silver ink

19 cards, almost 4 boxes worth of cards for under $150. I think I did okay, got some of my Yankee prospects, nothing earth shattering ... No Puigs, but no redemptions either Smile

The following doubles are for trade, once pricing hits the OPG, if interested!
Barnes (cubs), Marisnick Relic/ auto (2) (Marlins), Heathcott relic auto (Yankees)
Very nice work!

I can't begin to tell you how many times I buy a couple of boxes, and on the way home I almost always think "man, I could have bought an auto of player X on eBay for that much money."

This is a VERY awesome and telling illustration of the difference.

Glad you like it!
Sure, it takes the gamble of the 1/1 super-mega hit away, but I think I did okay.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

That is how you do it! I'm almost completely done buying wax. I kick myself every time I buy a box for over 100 bucks and get nothing I really want. From now on I will probably just do a case of Heritage every year to do my set and then buy singles for everything else I want. It'll slow this growing mountain of cards I have that I don't even want lol.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(07-24-2013, 01:42 AM)Haze28 Wrote: That is how you do it! I'm almost completely done buying wax. I kick myself every time I buy a box for over 100 bucks and get nothing I really want. From now on I will probably just do a case of Heritage every year to do my set and then buy singles for everything else I want. It'll slow this growing mountain of cards I have that I don't even want lol.
My god, me too!
I've got stacks on the floor and I can't do anything with them!
I'm going to stick with a box of heritage per year until they get up to 1969 -1971 design.
For this year, I've got 2 boxes of A&G coming through and after that, probably Topps Update. No more high end product for me! (Unless its a great deal)

(07-24-2013, 02:11 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My god, me too!
I've got stacks on the floor and I can't do anything with them!
I'm going to stick with a box of heritage per year until they get up to 1969 -1971 design.
For this year, I've got 2 boxes of A&G coming through and after that, probably Topps Update. No more high end product for me! (Unless its a great deal)

I said no more high end for me after tribute, then i saw museum and bought 2 boxes....then said this stinks no more high end for me!! Then i buy 2 boxes of inception, one of which was really good and said to myself no more high end for me!

Lets see if I have the willpower when tier one comes out.

rarely do I ever get the big hit that makes buying a few boxes worth while, mainly i get trade ammo to try and get my needs.

I'll have some extra inceptions to trade once the OPG hits as well.

More often than not, obviously you're not going to pull enough to get your money back. It's like golf though, you might hit 1 shot per couple of rounds that keeps you coming back lol
[Image: h6wRomT.png]

nicely done!! what i do is buy 1 box when the new stuff comes out. then i just get players that i like instead of taking that chance again. thanks

(07-24-2013, 08:34 AM)rentzington Wrote: Lets see if I have the willpower when tier one comes out.
I'll have some extra inceptions to trade once the OPG hits as well.
PM me when Tier One is due out and I'll talk you in from the ledge Smile
PM me when OPG has inception listed and see what we can do!

(07-24-2013, 11:04 AM)snappyjoe75 Wrote: nicely done!! what i do is buy 1 box when the new stuff comes out. then i just get players that i like instead of taking that chance again. thanks
Thanks.
It's exciting opening packs and busting boxes, but it is usually a let down. Buying on ebay can be more gratifying but less exciting.
I'm getting more realistic as I get more experience in cards. I'll buy a box here and there for the thrill, and buy on ebay for the fill. Smile