`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fingerprints and Grading?

Fingerprints and Grading?
Im not a grader for the most part but im going to the National in a few weeks and have several things that I would like to have graded. I think I remember a thread on here a while back about wiping card surfaces down before you have them graded because fingerprints can get you a bad surface grade. Is the right? If so do you have any suggestions on what to clean them with and is there any other things I should do before I submit them for grading?
[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

RE: Fingerprints and Grading?
I believe I remember someone say you use a microfiber cloth, like what you clean glasses with. That would be the only thing that I would think wouldn't damage it. If anyone knows any better than that, please correct me so that I know, too!

I have a weird question on this topic, if a grader is grading your card and its got good overall grades for edges, corners, and centering, but theres a obvious finger print on the card, that is taking the overall card grade from lets say a 9.5 to 8.5 or worse, why wouldn't they just be a nice lil fellow and wipe that off for you. surface seems to me to be the only thing that you could really help someone out on when your grading it, so why not.
[Image: VNTYXbe-Copy_zps4a0bcd1a.png]

(07-16-2013, 09:28 AM)mrdub Wrote: I have a weird question on this topic, if a grader is grading your card and its got good overall grades for edges, corners, and centering, but theres a obvious finger print on the card, that is taking the overall card grade from lets say a 9.5 to 8.5 or worse, why wouldn't they just be a nice lil fellow and wipe that off for you. surface seems to me to be the only thing that you could really help someone out on when your grading it, so why not.
If they were to damage it wiping it then I assume they would be responsible for replacing it....

always get screwed when being nice .... I believe thats the saying.

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

Or, another way of putting it, no good deed goes unpunished.

or look at from tis view... beckett already has your money.... give you an 8.5 surface with the finger print and 9.5 / 10's on everything else.... what ya gonna do? ....

your going to crack it, wipe it and PAY AGAIN to send it off in hopes of improving the surface as well as the overall grade.

They make twice the money that way !

Yes. I always wipe mine down with a microfiber cloth before sending them in.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

So will they really give you a worse surface grade for a fingerprint? Cause I do not think of a fingerprint or something that will easily wipe clean as damage to the card. When I think of the surface grade I think of scratches or chips in the ink ect.
[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

(07-16-2013, 10:31 AM)s1020 Wrote: So will they really give you a worse surface grade for a fingerprint? Cause I do not think of a fingerprint or something that will easily wipe clean as damage to the card. When I think of the surface grade I think of scratches or chips in the ink ect.
absolutely!... its an imperfection that will be sealed in a case forever (or until its cracked and cleaned and regraded) one local LCS only broke "chrome" types of wax with cotton gloves....lol

also i would put money on the fact that over a long period of time the oils in that fingerprint or smudge will affect the surface permanently.

(07-16-2013, 09:34 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: If they were to damage it wiping it then I assume they would be responsible for replacing it....

always get screwed when being nice .... I believe thats the saying.
I see your point, didn't think of that.
[Image: VNTYXbe-Copy_zps4a0bcd1a.png]