`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive grading order finished...SCANS UP! 6-4

Massive grading order finished...SCANS UP! 6-4
Well, today was the deadline, and it wasn't updated until about 4 ET so they were definitely taking their sweet a** time, but it's done! I sent in 39 cards, a combination of Jordans and Richmonds with one Clyde Drexler auto thrown in.

pretty satisfied overall. 21/39 came back as either 9s or 9.5s! I did get a pretty rough grade on my Mitch Richmond 97-98 gold refractor /289 though (got a 7 overall, had a lousy surface, got a 6 on it. I expected a bad surface grade, but not that bad!), and was disappointed in the 8.5 I got on the 98-99 MJ sheer brilliance extreme /23 (predicted a 9, thought it had an outside shot at a 9.5), but overall it went well.

Should get the order back tues/wed of next week. Lots of pics to follow!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: Massive grading order finished!
So you did ok...Only a few not what you were expecting?

I got some very tuff grades on my lot, of the 25 I sent I only got 6 BGS 9.5's with an astounding 14 BGS 9's with subs all .5 of being BGS 9.5!!!
The rest were 8.5's...
I did ok, because the cards that got BGS 9.5 were $300+ cards but it was a little off putting getting so many BGS 9's with only .5 off!
Subs like 9.5,9.5,9.5,8.5! and 10,10,9.5,8.5...
I know most of the BGS 9's will get PSA 10 all day, but I will end up selling most of them now as I don't like PSA slabs...

Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

Sweet! looking forward to seeing those pictures!
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

(06-01-2013, 03:23 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: So you did ok...Only a few not what you were expecting?

I got some very tuff grades on my lot, of the 25 I sent I only got 6 BGS 9.5's with an astounding 14 BGS 9's with subs all .5 of being BGS 9.5!!!
The rest were 8.5's...
I did ok, because the cards that got BGS 9.5 were $300+ cards but it was a little off putting getting so many BGS 9's with only .5 off!
Subs like 9.5,9.5,9.5,8.5! and 10,10,9.5,8.5...
I know most of the BGS 9's will get PSA 10 all day, but I will end up selling most of them now as I don't like PSA slabs...
Yeah pretty much. I'm not as picky as you with the grades. I want everything I send in to grade an 8.5+. I did have one 8 on a high-dollar (high-dollar for ME anyway haha) MJ, but it had a rough area near the bottom left corner and I figured an 8.5 was the absolute best it would do...still ended up .5 away so at least I wasn't too far off on my guess. I had a couple actually show up .5 higher too, including one iconic MJ that I was stoked to get a 9 instead of an 8.5...gonna make you all wait for pics though haha.

Bummer on those that were .5 off too Sad I sent in a 23-card order about 8 months ago and 12 came back either .5 off a 9 or .5 off a 9.5, so I feel your pain there; however, you're out a TON more money than me given the high-dollar nature of your stuff should you ever need/want to sell, so your frustration is probably exponentially higher!

I agree about the BGS vs. PSA slabs too. They look nicer and seem thicker/higher quality as well. Still waiting for that elusive 10 though! I have one that came back 10 10 9.5 9.5 and I was SO angry haha.

Cards will probably be here by Wednesday. I will be sure to post scans zodiac!

I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

They came in a day early...hooray for FedEx and Beckett! Here are the Mitches (plus a random auto). I will add the MJs later on today. I'm also going to state how I acquired each card. With the exception of some of the higher-end MJs and a lot of the Richmond autos, I can attribute a lot of these cards to the great members on these boards in one way or another, so this is a thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Off we go!

"Miscellaneous Mitches...and a Dream Team auto!"

[Image: miscgraded6-4001_zps5535d34a.jpg]

The Clyde and the Finest embossed were both eBay purchases. I now have 3 Dream Team autos: David Robinson, Clyde, and a Larry Bird I actually pack-pulled and graded out at a BGS 9. The Chrome Richmond First Day Issue is /100 and from a trade with kct1.

"Richmond Refractors"

[Image: mitchrefractors6-4001_zpsce18be79.jpg]

Love these, as always! The first-year Finest refractor was courtesy of a trade w/ TBarn, the Chrome refractor was also from kct1 and the Finest Gold refractor is /100 and an eBay purchase. Sweet card to have in gem mint!

"Mitch GUs and an auto"

[Image: mitchGUs6-4001_zps2fd9ba29.jpg]

These were all eBay purchases except the jersey heights card which was a comc pickup. The Murad is /51 and they are notoriously badly centered so that grade was somewhat expected. Hoped for a 9.5 on the Elite patch though Sad Also kinda surprised the auto got an 8, I'm assuming they thought the smudge was that bad? I thought maybe a 9, but the 8's a bit harsh, no? Iconic card either way, love it!

"Mitch mint autos"

[Image: mitchmintautos6-4001_zpsd58993ac.jpg]

These were all 'bay purchases. The Trophy Case auto is /49 and the Preferred is /74. Wasn't surprised at the bad auto grade on the Trophy Case, he went way off the sticker. But I got that card like 90% off of book because of it so no worries! Kinda cool to see his different signatures too. You get the full name occasionally, the number occasionally, etc.

Last but not least for the Mitches...

"Mitch GEM mint autos!"

[Image: mitchgemmintautos6-4001_zps95a0ee74.jpg]

Woohoo! I was really hoping for a 10 on the Preferred silver /25, but these are all awesome! Those die-cut Elite autos are probably going to be tough to get gem mints on so I was particularly happy w/ that and the 97-98 Topps auto getting two 10 subs! All of these were eBay purchases as well.

That does it for the Mitches. MJs coming later!

RE: Massive grading order finished...SCANS UP! 6-4
As promised...here are the MJs!

"8-8.5 MJs"

[Image: 8-85MJs6-4001_zpsc6a45eba.jpg]

The Soul of the Game was in a trade w/ ndevoy who was very up front about the issues which I appreciated! (some edging/corner problems on the bottom of the back) and the roundball royalty was from a trade w/ MRHARPER...shocked it didn't get a 9 Undecided The other two were actually both comc pickups, and that full court trap gold has a very nice bv!

"Horizontal MJs"

[Image: horizontalMJs6-4001_zpsf6393467.jpg]

Love some of these! Obviously the SPx Force card is a wicked dual PC card for me, thought it would get a 9 though. Also thought the same for the sheer brilliance extreme. It's the priciest MJ in my collection so I was a bit disappointed w/ that. Incidentally the Platinum Portraits was from a trade w/ TBarn and the others were purchases from eBay (spx force), comc (sheer brilliance extreme /23) and a card show (sheer brilliance /230).

"Miscellaneous Mint MJs"

[Image: miscmintMJs6-4001_zps2542ba2c.jpg]

Couple solid mint Jordans! Both were purchases via a card show (awesome action) and the 'bay. Really thought the xplosion card would get a 9.5 though, I mean really, how does a METAL card with rounded edges get an 8.5 on corners? Maybe the most confusing sub of any of the cards I got back.

"NickM's MJs!"

[Image: nickmMJs6-4001_zps8fbb7189.jpg]

So as resident MJ collector nickm1123 has been upgrading his collection I have been the beneficiary of some of his nicer raw cards. I got all of these in cash/trade combos with him! I thought all of these were probably 8.5s so I was especially happy with the gold finest MJ.

"The one Nick let get away"

Nick sold me this one raw for $50. Hope this doesn't upset you man!

[Image: mjscoringkingsmint6-4001_zps31111d5f.jpg]

Probably my favorite card in my collection now, bar none!

And last but not least, let's get some gold labels in here, shall we?

"Gem Mint MJs"

[Image: gemmintMJs6-4001_zpse2cf9049.jpg]

The Winning Edge I actually picked up on the 'bay and it had a raw card review of 9, but I took it out of that b/c I thought it had a shot at a 9.5 and didn't want that weighing on the grader. Not sure if it had an impact but I'm glad I did it either way. The Hot List was a comc purchase, and the gold electric court and atomic refractor I managed to pull!

That's it! I'm already lining up another submission for when I have the funds and the right special pops up. Probably gonna focus on old school Mitches as I eventually want every Mitch refractor graded as well as every card that books $10+ so hopefully I can get going on that.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Haha great grades man! And no it doesnt upset me! Basically I need to trust myself more. I see marks on the cards and assume they would be graded bad. I could have saved myself some time and just sent the cards in myself and got those grades. Oh well though, you live and learn. That and a lot of these cards (excluding the Scoring Kings) I broke even, if not saved some money. For example the Finest Gold I sold it to you for the same amount I bought it graded. So in that situation I actually saved myself the grading costs. Same with all the other cards I sold you.....except the Scoring Kings. But to be honest, I bought the Scoring Kings card several years ago for $40 so I technically made money haha! But consider yourself one of my VIP buyers and I gave you a good deal Smile Glad the cards came back highly graded for you though! And my moral of the story? I am tougher on my cards condition than BGS is haha Smile

[Image: Nick.jpg]

Great stuff man! Nice Grades all around. Sorry the Platinum didn't get a higher grade for yah. At least a 10 on the centering lol.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Dang! Nice grade on the scoring kings! Mine came back an 8 when I submitted it but atleast its slabbed since its PC. Some great grades overall, especially on the Mitchs'.

Thanks for the comments guys!

@hegotgame: Any chance you'll be trading/selling any of those non 9.5 MJs? I'm sure most are WAY out of my price range, but if you plan on it I'd like a shot at any/all you'd be parting with!

@nickm: It would appear so haha. I thought that the finest gold might get a 9, but was surprised the hooperstars got an 8.5 (thought it would be an 8) and obviously was stoked about the scoring kings!

@TBarn: I really thought that would get a 9, maybe a 9.5 even. Bummed about the 8 on the Mitch refractor you traded me too. I think you owe me! Wink

@jdetter: I expected the Mitches to get higher grades overall than the MJs. So many of the MJs were in that $60-$125 range and I just really wanted them slabbed b/c that's really high-end for me! Still wish that preferred panini's choice auto of Mitch would have gotten a 10 though. Oh well, I'll get a pristine eventually!

Oh, and I got a sa-weet PC add today via a cash/trade combo with one of the fine users on here. Be sure to check my MJ thread!