`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effective search methods for eBay

Effective search methods for eBay
Hey everybody. It's been about five months since I've done any type of collecting, and I have to say it was very much needed. I was able to reassess what I wanted to do, which is concentrate on a super collection of Indians cards. I find myself browsing Check out My Cards a lot, which is great, and I'm finding some great cards/deals there, but I'm wondering what are some good strategies for eBay searching that everyone uses? I find myself browsing by player names (Feller, Belle, Lofton, etc.), but what about the more obscure players? I do occasionally search just by the Indians name, but then I get cards for guys like Swisher, but in a Yankees uniform. I'd like to keep my collection with guys strictly in an Indians uniform. If you have any strategies that I'm overlooking I'd really appreciate it!
[Image: indians_zps82881612.jpg]

- Jason Kipnis super collector
- Cleveland Indians Autos/Relics/Inserts/Parallels and Base Sets
- Superstar and HOF autos/relics

RE: Effective search methods for eBay
I doubt any refinements can eliminate a Cleveland player search from appearing in another uniform. Especially for example a title says: Nick Swisher Cleveland Indians, N.Y. Yankees, Oakland A's. Sellers want to use as many keywords as possible, on the other hand too many refinements can cause you to possibly miss a card in a search.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

The best way in my ebay adventures, has been to search for specific cards, which can be a pain or if your looking for just indians try searching for "Cleveland Indians lot" or "2012 Triple Threads Indians" but as krn101 said you can also miss out on certain cards but not doing broader searches.

If you have time to search more refined entries, you will save more money (in general) than by simply searching "Jason Kipnis"
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

I would just stick with last names
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Download the eBay if to your phone (I'm assuming you have a smartphone and save a bunch of searches. You will know when a new item for that search comes up. I've used it to grab a PSA 10 Joe Girardi rookie at a good price. They don't come around often but the app saves you from sifting through a bunch of old stuff again and again.

(05-24-2013, 04:48 PM)dougnash Wrote: Download the eBay if to your phone (I'm assuming you have a smartphone and save a bunch of searches. You will know when a new item for that search comes up. I've used it to grab a PSA 10 Joe Girardi rookie at a good price. They don't come around often but the app saves you from sifting through a bunch of old stuff again and again.
+1 I love the app it's all I really use
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

I have a couple ideas for you.
- to exclude players in uniforms from other teams, use the "-" sign in your search. For example you would type: "Swisher, Indians, -Yankees". This would bring up all instances where "Swisher" and "Indians" appear in the title, but exclude all cases where "Yankees" appears in the title.
- to save time, create and save queries using multiple key words, and then delete a word or two (without re-saving the search) to get a broader search, each time you look for that card. For example, if you are looking for Dave Hoskins 1955 card, card #133, you might include the following words in your search: cleveland indians 1955 Dave Hoskins topps baseball 133. Then each time you run that search, you might try deleting a word or two to broaden your search.
- for obscure players whose cards appear for sale rarely on Ebay, set up and save your search query so you are notified by email whenever there is a new listing. For example, create the query of "Rich Behenna Indians" (there is currently only one listing with his name in the title) and save the query; when saving, check the box that says "Email me daily when new items match my search." WARNING: be careful to do this only for cases in which that card rarely appears on Ebay; otherwise you will be overwhelmed by email notifications.

I have different cards I search for in different ways, but learning the shortcuts for variables in your search terms helps a lot for narrowing down results.

for example if there are a few players from a specific year you want to search for you could do:
2007 (hanson, freeman, heyward) and your results would be any results for 2007 and then any of the three words hanson, freeman or heyward

i usually choose "auction only" for my search term not clearcut and i might miss a few things here and there but i feel 90% of buy it nows are junk prices

set up a few saved searches, tweak them as you go. search often - and wait for deals is my style
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors