`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VERY IMPORTANT -- PLEASE READ!!

VERY IMPORTANT -- PLEASE READ!!
Im not sure on the boards policy on this, but I cant imagine it wouldnt be allowed.

As many of you know I am usually the boards practical joker. But this time I am coming to you with a serious messsage and request.

Yesterday, an F4 Tornado touched down in Moore, Oklahoma outside Oklahoma city. This massive Tornado obliterated pretty much the entire town leaving a trail of destruction you cant even begin to imagine as well as killing MANY people and children.

One of our fellow board members Pens1Fan (Walt) lives very close to this area. Him and his family have been severly impacted but tornado destruction in the past. (I wont elaborate, if he would like, Ill leave that for him to do.)

I am also from the midwest (Kansas) originally and am familiar with the devastation these tornadoes can cause without any real warning. I also am a Rescue Squad Officer for 1 of the 28 FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Teams that get dispatched out to incidents such as these. I have been deployed to New Orleans (Hurricane Katrina), Haiti (earthquake), Texas (Hurricane). Currently 3 FEMA USAR teams have been dispatched by the President to redner aid and to search for victims (Texas, Tennessee, and Nebraska).

I am asking for our members of this very close knit board to text a $10 donation to either the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army. Forgo buying a couple of packs, a card from the auction site, that gourmet coffee, etc. and redirect $10 to helping these unfortunate people whom many have lost everything including family members and children to this nasty tornado..

TEXT:

RED CROSS to 909-99 ($10 donation to Red Cross)
STORM to 808-88 ($10 donation to Salvation Army)

the $10 donation will be charged directly to your phone bill

Think of Walt, those families affected, or even think what if it was your family, friends or immediate community that was affected.....wouldnt you want people to help.

Its only $10!! PLEASE HELP THESE PEOPLE!!!

I thank you for reading this, and hope youll take the time and effort to help.

THANK YOU-

Hugh
Long Time Fellow Board Member
FL-TF2 Rescue Squad Officer
Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]

RE: VERY IMPORTANT -- PLEASE READ!!
Hugh, thanks for the post buddy. I will text ASAP.
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

First off thank you so much Hugh for making this post. I want everyone to know that me and my family are safe and sound, but this tragedy has effected nearly everyone here in Oklahoma in one way or another.

I will say personally that this effects me as my younger sister and her family live in Edmond, just north of OKC and there was another tornado that was about a mile from them on Sunday. Also my sister and brother-in-law have several friends that live in the Moore area and they have lost everything. So far as I know none of the friends they have have any other loss than property and I am hoping and praying that it stays that way.

I have been effected by tornadoes in the past as Moore had another large tornado on May 3rd, 1999 and I lost my nephew in that disaster. I have been though 2 myself and it is no fun.

If you guys don't know how bad this storm was, late yesterday evening I was outside my house in Tulsa(100 miles away) and I found a invoice from a company in Moore.

Like Hugh mentioned. If you can just help donate a small $10 donation it can go a long ways in helping the victims of this disaster. I will be heading down to OKC and Moore this weekend myself taking donations from the neighborhood I live in and to see if there is anything I can do in Moore for the cleanup.

Thanks Beckett Community for any help.

Walt
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

I made sure to text a bit to each as soon as the word got out about the donation lines, it's awful what's going on down there right now, and my heart goes out to anyone that has had their lives thrown into chaos. Hugh, incredibly thoughtful of you to post this, so I'm going to shoot them another $10 each when I get paid on Friday. Every little bit helps. Walt, very glad to hear that you and yours are all OK. Got my fingers crossed that the weather calms down a bit for you and your family. Best wishes.
-Chris
Collecting Cam Neely & Boston Bruins
Photobucket: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/p...or%20Sale/

Terribly sorry for everything that's going on down south, I don't wish that upon anyone. I was wondering if I made my donation up here in Canada to a redcross or salvation army, if it would have the same effect? Sorry for everyones losses.

(05-21-2013, 02:22 PM)johlix Wrote: Terribly sorry for everything that's going on down south, I don't wish that upon anyone. I was wondering if I made my donation up here in Canada to a redcross or salvation army, if it would have the same effect? Sorry for everyones losses.
Thanks to all those that have replied and donated thus far.

@johlix.. I'm sure it will work as well. If you send the word to the # it'll ask you if you want to send the $10 before charging you.

Bump this up for some more help from this outstanding board!

Hope you and all your friends and family are okay! Here in south central Illinois a little town of about 3,000 called Mt. Olive (which is 7 miles south of me) got hit by an EF-2 tornado last night. Thankfully no one was killed and only a couple people had minor injuries. However, the tornado touched down for about the length of 4 blocks which just happened to be their downtown. Literally all the buildings in this tiny town's "business" area got significant damage. I hate seeing all this destruction year after year, but I guess that's just how it is in the midwest....just sad seeing all those people lose their lives Sad

This was definitely tragic to hear, and all to familiar. I am in Springfield, MO and have friends (some i consider family) who are from Joplin and I know the devastation that can result from these storms. the EF-5 tornado that ripped through Joplin was one of the deadliest in US history (7th) and that community is still struggling to recover (destroyed the hospital, high school, entire neighborhoods, etc). the Moore tornado happened right at the 2 year anniversary of the Joplin twister, so everyone here was going crazy. it was all too fresh in our minds.

a good spin on this, if there is one, is that communities become stronger and more united. i know that here, everywhere you looked companies were taking up donations, whether it be money or water/food or supplies. here in the Ozarks, it was an immediate need to lend a helping hand to our brothers and sisters in Oklahoma. thanks to everyone who generously and selflessly has helped all of these victims.

Walt-
i am glad that you and your family are safe. when you get a chance, you should pm me as i will be making a move to your neck of the woods in a few weeks. and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know.
-Matthew

on a side note:
after this happened, there was a couple interviewed on the local news here. she had survived the tornado in Joplin and her and her boyfriend moved to Moore for work...only to have to deal with this all over again. trying to find safety, they left their apartment and ran up to a bank seeking shelter. the bank manager had locked the doors and refused to let them in. this happened with the tornado in view and with it heading right towards them. because of bank protocol, they weren't allowed to let them inside the building. they survived by taking refuge in a nearby culvert/ditch underneath the road just before the tornado passed over the top of them. the bank was a direct hit. the boyfriend wondered how a person could turn someone away in that situation, knowing they would most likely parish. i asked myself the same question as i fought back a tear (or two.)

thanks for the long read.
-Matthew
[Image: flyerssig.jpg]

Its for good cause. Donations are in. Thanks for the heads up