`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun trip to the not-so-"L"CS w/ scan

Fun trip to the not-so-"L"CS w/ scan
So there really isn't a true card shop in all of Greensboro, NC (population: 370,000). However, quavis often raves about a shop near Charlotte, so I decided to make the trek about 100 minutes in each direction, so you gotta plan your day around it!

I am DEFINITELY glad I went. The place is called AAA Collectibles in Matthews, NC, on the east side of Charlotte. And yes, they got a call while I was in there wondering if they had towing service haha. The owner was apparently out that day, but the guy filling in was great to deal with. I was there almost two full hours. He brought several boxes out of the back of some nice 90's stuff to dig through, followed by 4 boxes just with more common 90's stuff of players whose last names start with R! Needless to say I was digging for Richmonds and found 9 PC needs which was awesome.

I also pulled a couple MJs from the boxes in the back as well as several nice inserts that I liked the look of and/or figured people on here could use them so I rescued them from the ignominy of the card shop store room!

[Image: LCSpickups001_zps1ee37a10.jpg]

The Pippen and Magic are both refractors and the Kobe is the silver (uncommon) version. I love that Lift Off Kobe as well. I had it once before, traded it and regretted it because it's a great-looking card! That one will be tough to get off of me again. The Stackhouse (cough TBARN cough) is the rave /399. That box of old 90s stuff had all sorts of sweet classic parallels: couple more raves, at least a half-dozen of the original Skybox rubies, etc. Didn't see any other players that anybody on here PCs though.

I traded a couple GU cards, some low-end Bryce Harper RCs, an Andrew Luck RC and a few other NC-related cards for all of those. It was great to get some stuff out of my collection I had no use for and pick up some awesome stuff. He also had just gotten back an 86-87 MJ RC that graded out at PSA 7 and the RC-year sticker that graded out at an 8. I seriously considered trading my 08-09 Skybox Durant ruby /50 plus a little cash for the sticker, but decided against it.

All in all a great trip. Wish there were more CS's like this!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: Fun trip to the not-so-"L"CS w/ scan
Lol great stuff man! Very nice Stackhouse *cough* I appreciate you keeping me in mind lol. Looks like a great trip, did they have any good deals on wax?
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

Glad it was worth the trip! Any of the Richmonds rare? Or just ones you didn't have?

Love the kobe catalyst!
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

Thanks for the comments everyone! JMarch- you know I'm stockpiling Kobes for you, right? I'm hoping to end up w/ enough to get a week of your salary hahaha. I also recently picked up a 97-98 Bowman's Best Mirror Image Refractor w/ Kobe on it as well as Pippen and a couple others!

@hitman. None of the Richmonds were particularly rare. Best one booked a whopping $1.50 haha. Still needs though, they all matter!

EDIT: There was another insert I regret not tossing in. In the nicer box of 90s stuff there was a ton of Iverson stuff for some reason. One was the 98-99 Flair Takeit2.net Insert /1000. They had $20 on it at the shop but it books really well. I figured the high bv was only $20. Maybe I'll pick it up next time!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

(05-17-2013, 07:20 PM)buckunteer Wrote: Thanks for the comments everyone! JMarch- you know I'm stockpiling Kobes for you, right? I'm hoping to end up w/ enough to get a week of your salary hahaha. I also recently picked up a 97-98 Bowman's Best Mirror Image Refractor w/ Kobe on it as well as Pippen and a couple others!

@hitman. None of the Richmonds were particularly rare. Best one booked a whopping $1.50 haha. Still needs though, they all matter!

EDIT: There was another insert I regret not tossing in. In the nicer box of 90s stuff there was a ton of Iverson stuff for some reason. One was the 98-99 Flair Takeit2.net Insert /1000. They had $20 on it at the shop but it books really well. I figured the high bv was only $20. Maybe I'll pick it up next time!
Ha! A whole paycheck? Pretty sure the massive student loan payment speaks for much of it. However, Let me know what you have and what you are looking for out of it paypal-wise. I think I have the Bowmans Best Mirror Image(I thought I got it from you, actually). One of the other guys is Van Horn on that card, right?
As for the other Kobe's, I am in the market to pick them up(no new products out that I want to put my money into) so shoot me a list and a price in a PM if you want.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

Coool im glad you liked it! Too bad bob want there. I always deal with him. They always mark the stuff at bv and expect a little bargaining. He might have taken 12 for a $20 card. Anyways im glad it was worth the trip. I wanted to go also but couldnt get out of work in time. Next time.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

Great stuff. I have a bunch of LCSs in my area, but they are all so down on basketball and that is my only interest. I have one that is about a 1/2 hour from me that still has a bunch of random packs from the past 10 years. I like to go in and grab a couple every now and again. Unfortunatey between work and the second job, and the third job and classes I find myself without much time to get out to the card shop. I'm gonna save up a few bucks and plan an afternoon trip soon.

I never spend enough time going through the boxes, I'll follow your lead next time I am there and see what I can find.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(05-17-2013, 09:24 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Great stuff. I have a bunch of LCSs in my area, but they are all so down on basketball and that is my only interest. I have one that is about a 1/2 hour from me that still has a bunch of random packs from the past 10 years. I like to go in and grab a couple every now and again. Unfortunatey between work and the second job, and the third job and classes I find myself without much time to get out to the card shop. I'm gonna save up a few bucks and plan an afternoon trip soon.

I never spend enough time going through the boxes, I'll follow your lead next time I am there and see what I can find.
Yeah definitely do it! I mean obviously there's lots of stuff in there that you've seen 1000 times and it books 50 cents, but every card I scanned in except the Kobe Lift Off insert books $10+ and wasn't on display so they were willing to deal since I took the initiative to search for it.

Really the only thing the shop was light on that I enjoy was old wax. The guy did say that people occasionally bring in unopened basketball boxes from the 90s and they buy them regularly because they can sell them easily, just didn't happen to have any at the moment. It's definitely a ways away, but between that shop and the card shows at the state fairgrounds (in Raleigh, about a 75 minute drive each way), I'll be making several longer trips a year now I think Smile

Back in Holland driving 100 minutes would get me to the other side of the country, lol. It's amazing how we perceive distances differently in Europe vs USA.

I can only drool when I hear of you guys going through boxes of old cards when over here (in Spain) you can't get anything but at best the current year's Panini stickers....

Buck, considering you're in NC, would the Hobby Box be an option for you?