`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contemplating dropping Karl Malone from my PC

Contemplating dropping Karl Malone from my PC
After about 20 years of collecting Stockton and Malone along with players in other sports I am contemplating changing my collection around a little. I am considering removing Karl Malone from my PC. I have several thousand of his cards and around 1,000 different ones. I am trying to decide whether to just store away the cards and not buy more or to just keep a few key cards (i.e. RC, autographs, and any card with Stockton on it) and get rid of the rest.
There are several reasons why I am considering doing this. I am curious as to whether anyone else has dramatically changed their player collection after spending years (or decades in my case) of collecting the same player. If so what did you do (just put the collection away or sell/trade it off)?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Contemplating dropping Karl Malone from my PC
I havent changed my main collection since I was 12 (now 30) but I have contemplated collecting all together. Do not get me wrong I love this hobby but at times I quesiton it. Unlike other hobbies you simply look at the cards, store them and sometimes even display them. For what I have paid for cards over the years, this is beginning to seem pointless to me (and yes this is my opinion that I am not forcing on anyone else). A hobby such as riding motorcylces makes more sense to me as you can do more with the hobby than just look at it. I too have contemplated what I want to do with my collection. I havent decided either but would be happy to hear what others have to say too.

From a personal standpoint though, I just ask the simple question: What can you get rid of that you do not have an emotional connection to? Are there cards that you have to keep and are there cards that you could care less about but have because they are Malone? I recently sold all of my MJ UD Legacy collection cards. There are 1000+ in the set and I had around 500. I had these cards simply because they had MJ on them but realized I could care less about them. I sold them and made good money on the lots and havent thought about them since. So if there are specific cards that you know you would regret selling or parting with I owuld hold on to those. Other than that I would consider selling what you can live without.
Another good question is why did you start collecting him in the first place? Randomly i started collecting Ray allen because I couldnt afford MJs at the moment. Did I like Ray Allen, yes. He is still one of my favorite players but I did not have the same connection I did with MJ. I simply started that PC out of boredom and money. So I have sold most of my Ray Allen collection and not thought twice.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(05-16-2013, 12:32 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Another good question is why did you start collecting him in the first place? Randomly i started collecting Ray allen because I couldnt afford MJs at the moment. Did I like Ray Allen, yes. He is still one of my favorite players but I did not have the same connection I did with MJ. I simply started that PC out of boredom and money. So I have sold most of my Ray Allen collection and not thought twice.
There are several reasons why I started collecting Stockton & Malone, and there are also several reasons why I am contemplating dropping Malone from my PC. When you sold your Ray Allen collection did you do it in bulk or a few cards at a time?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

(05-16-2013, 06:01 PM)djohn Wrote: There are several reasons why I started collecting Stockton & Malone, and there are also several reasons why I am contemplating dropping Malone from my PC. When you sold your Ray Allen collection did you do it in bulk or a few cards at a time?
I did a few cards at a time. I know that Malone autos are harder to get than Allen autos, but I started there. I kept 1 auto of him in each jersey/team he has played for. I came to the realization that Autos are all the same except the style of the card. I didnt feel the need to have 10+ Allen autos when they all were the same, except the picture. Then I sold a bunch of patches and kept a couple of my favorites. Then I went to some higher end inserts (if you can call them that with Ray Allen). I still have most of the base as they would not sell for anything. When I was still collecting him I won a lot of Allen cards for $3 plus shipping. It was 150+ different cards. So I didnt want to just basically give them away.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

Sometimes a PC just loses its flavor and appeal. I did the same with my Ewing collection a few years ago. I was a big Knicks fan as a kid and for some reason started collecting Ewing because of it even though Allan Houston was my favorite player on the team at the time.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

Although I would hate for you to give up the Malone PC, selfishly I would really be interested in it if you do decide to part with it. I have a couple harder to find Stockton cards I could part with to make you feel better about getting rid of the Malone cards. Not trying to force you either way, but at least you know they would be kept in good hands.

(05-28-2013, 11:04 AM)bballkm32 Wrote: Although I would hate for you to give up the Malone PC, selfishly I would really be interested in it if you do decide to part with it. I have a couple harder to find Stockton cards I could part with to make you feel better about getting rid of the Malone cards. Not trying to force you either way, but at least you know they would be kept in good hands.
You will be one of the first people I will contact if I do give it up, as I am sure I could fill a lot of the holes in your collection. For now I am just going to hold on to everything and just minimize my Malone pickups (though I did just buy another Leaf autographed printing plate this past weekend).

you must have got that one for just under $50. Nice find. I had it flagged but was busy when it ended. I tried a box of the leaf metal trying to find some Malone luck but all I got a a Pippen Auto and a Magic Johnson Printing plate. Guess things could be worse.

(05-30-2013, 06:48 PM)bballkm32 Wrote: you must have got that one for just under $50. Nice find. I had it flagged but was busy when it ended. I tried a box of the leaf metal trying to find some Malone luck but all I got a a Pippen Auto and a Magic Johnson Printing plate. Guess things could be worse.
Yep, that's the one. I have tried a couple Leaf boxes over the past year and no luck with getting a Malone. I figured it was cheaper to just buy the Malone autos then continuing to buy the boxes. I was definitely surprised to get that one at the price I did, as I figured it would go for more.