`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stalled Trades - What to do?

Stalled Trades - What to do?
In the past few months I have seen an increase in the number of stalled trades and I am wondering how often this happens to everyone else. I understand that we are all busy and that for most of us trading cards is not a top priority in our lives. However it gets annoying when trades just sit idle for weeks on end with no response from the other person. I just need to vent and maybe someone can explain why these things happen.

1) I make/receive a trade offer and the person and I go back and forth until things are even, and then the other person just sits there and stops responding and doesn't accept or cancel the trade.
2) I send an open offer and the other person responds with a message saying they will check my ORG and then adds cards to their side of the trade but never sends a counter-offer back and won't respond to any of my messages.

A lot of times the traders are not dead-end traders but very active traders, so I am really frustrated by not even getting a response to my messages that are as simple as "Do you still want to work on this trade?" I am wondering what is the amount of time you usually give until you cancel a trade due to lack of response from the other person?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Stalled Trades - What to do?
For me it depends on the card(s) I'm looking at getting back in a deal. If it's something I need for a set or a PC, I'll just let it sit there until I get a response or I find what I'm looking for somewhere else. And vice versa - if someone is really interested in something I have and I know that, I'll leave it there until it's part of another deal or I decide to keep or sell it. If it's something I could take or leave, I'll usually leave it open for a couple of weeks.

Now mind you, I don't get nearly the amount of trade offers as a lot of the guys/gals on here, so I have that luxury of not having to sift through stalled deals to find the active ones.
Kepler

(05-14-2013, 01:39 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: For me it depends on the card(s) I'm looking at getting back in a deal. If it's something I need for a set or a PC, I'll just let it sit there until I get a response or I find what I'm looking for somewhere else. And vice versa - if someone is really interested in something I have and I know that, I'll leave it there until it's part of another deal or I decide to keep or sell it. If it's something I could take or leave, I'll usually leave it open for a couple of weeks.
I do a lot of sets and most trades have more than just 1 card in it, so there are times where I will find a card(s) from someone else that is also in a stalled trade. So if I don't cancel the stalled trade the other person could eventually accept the offer and then I would end up getting the card twice. The bigger issue is that I have had people want to get cards from me that are in another trade. I usually give the preference to the first person who asks for the card in trade, however when a trade stalls out for weeks/months it is tough to continue holding that card when someone else wants it.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

It's happening more and more. It's one of the reasons why I am now taking a break from trading for a little while unless it's for my Cole Hamels PC. Just going to focus on organizing for now.

It happens to me all the time. I got so frustrated with it that I now give the other trader 3-4 days, 5 at most if I really need the card. At that point, I cancel and move on. I can't stand people that are not courteous enough to even send a "I'm not looking to trade" or "I can't find anything, so I am going to cancel."

Overall I have seen my amount of trades go down. Not sure if it's because I cancel within a week of getting an offer, or there are just fewer and fewer people here to trade with.

I have contemplated moving on to other sites and have started to create a website with my needs/my stuff for trade, etc. because other places don't have the ORG feature like this.

The trading on this site has been very frustrating lately. I collect base cards and vintage, plain and simple. If I make a trade for inserts or other stuff, it's to use as trade bait for vintage at my LCS. But it seems people only want to make trades with $10+ cards and nothing lower.

Anyway, my vent is over and I'm off my soapbox.

Same here, but life happens, I just hope that the people communicate why there are taking there time. I resently pulled 147 Griffey cards for somebody and they cancelled two days later. I told them I would have to pull them from 8 different boxes
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Its normally the same people who do it. I let it slide at first (because hey things come up) but if it becomes the norm I just stop dealing with them altogether.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

I have to admitt I am guilty of doing this. Not intentional sometimes the trade goes to page 2 and I don't realize it until its to late. Then sometimes I thought I sent the offer but didn't and fail to check up on it

I am also working hard and steady revamping my football cards for easier locating in which I plan on doing the same with my baseball once I am done. I have about 2000 more football to organize and or enter so my big priority is trading my football right now and the baseball trades get delayed by mistake

It's no excuse to not respond to a trade offer and I apologize to any I may have offended or upset
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

I have seen it a bunch as well - I also make sure to check the last time they log in. It is not uncommon for 4 people to "want" a card, but none of them have logged on in a year.
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

(05-14-2013, 06:36 PM)homerjg007 Wrote: I have seen it a bunch as well - I also make sure to check the last time they log in. It is not uncommon for 4 people to "want" a card, but none of them have logged on in a year.
I always do that before sending an open offer. The issue I am referring to is when people actually do respond to the initial offer but then the trade stalls out and the other person just stops responding without giving any reason.