`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1980s Star complete sets or NBA 50 Greates RCs for PC?

1980s Star complete sets or NBA 50 Greates RCs for PC?
Stuck between these two focuses for my PC. I have been a Jordan collector but I am realizing the modern stuff just doesn't do it for me and the 90's inserts, although stunning are just overpriced for what they are right now.

I love 80s NBA and it is my favorite era across all sports. The Star's are so colorful and awesome and putting together the complete base sets for all 3 years seems like a fun task. Helps I already have a ton of the stars.

The 50 greatest is a great set too, in mid/lower grade of course. I have the 80's covered with 86 fleer and have a nice Kareem, Bird/Magic and Mchale. So many can be had relatively cheap if not chasing high grade but a Chamberlian, Russell and especially the Mikan will be up there.

I need a focus so I stop buying wax. Any opinions on which will be more fun to chase? Anyone go after either of these two?

RE: 1980s Star complete sets or NBA 50 Greates RCs for PC?
I would go for the RCs of the NBA 50 Greatest. The Star cards are nice and they aren't too hard to find the complete team sets for each team. However there is so much concern about fake Star cards, that it could turn things sour if you end up getting a bunch and then find out they are fakes.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: 1980s Star complete sets or NBA 50 Greates RCs for PC?
(05-09-2013, 09:30 AM)djohn Wrote: I would go for the RCs of the NBA 50 Greatest. The Star cards are nice and they aren't too hard to find the complete team sets for each team. However there is so much concern about fake Star cards, that it could turn things sour if you end up getting a bunch and then find out they are fakes.
That's the thing, fakes aren't much of a concern. I have good relationships with some very reputable Star dealers/experts and would only deal with these guys. I was big into the Star MJs and am pretty knowledgeable on which cards were counterfeited/reproduced etc.

Counterfeit concerns aside, these would be strictly PC, never for sale. Just torn on what is a more fun hunt and which would display better. Heck, maybe do both!