`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Super (?) Box updated

Super (?) Box updated
First, let me say that in the past, Scott and SBay cards has always put together interesting grab-bag contests. I was skeptical the first time, but even though I never won anything huge, I always seemed to get my money's worth from a Baseball Super Box. There is always a pretty decent mix of auto, relic, vintage and graded cards and then a handful of premium "hits" to be randomly inserted.
[Image: th_C415F5AE-F217-4C61-9B2A-0440BA8B01BB-...53eab7.jpg]
The last Super Box wasn't all that super, and I was a little disappointed with the level of quality, but I was assured that it was a fluke and the next SB (super box) would be less cards, but higher quality and the big prize ... A 2.5 graded Mantle Rookie!
So, again, I figured I'd give them one more chance. No I didn't win the Mantle, so this isn't some elaborate story build up Smile
I got the following 4 cards

[Image: 05A776D6-DE59-450C-8A9D-8B7B3C288663-273...ab9ffd.jpg]

2012 National Treasures relic Sparky Anderson /25
1993 Finest Piazza PSA graded 9
2012 Sterling Bruce Maxwell Auto
1966 Topps Eddie Mathews (due to a nasty corner crease, I'd give it a EX grade at best)

So, for $109, did I get hosed? I don't feel like I even came close to breaking even.
I wrote to them and they said out of 450 boxes sold, I was the first to complain.
What do you think? Did anyone else buy a SBay SB? Just wondering if I'm totally off base?
And while I'm at it, let me mention these cards are all FT Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Super (?) Box
For $109 it looks like someone put together a box of their junk. You'd be lucky to get $20 back for all that.

Trade value you probably did OK... sell...not so much.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

for 109 dollars, i would have given you a much better deal. and a 1/1 for free.

(04-20-2013, 06:51 AM)tntmclmm Wrote: For $109 it looks like someone put together a box of their junk. You'd be lucky to get $20 back for all that.
I was figuring about $40-45, but yeah, either way, it's half junk. The Piazza and Sparky cards aren't bad, if they were the minor hits of the box.

(04-20-2013, 07:13 AM)tate31nym Wrote: Trade value you probably did OK... sell...not so much.
I really don't sell and rarely trade, because I'm a cardboard pack-rat Smile
Talking about trades, interested in a PSA 9 Piazza? Smile
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

It is one of my favorite Finest cards, but I already have one and don't know what to do with graded cards.
Definitely not a bad Piazza to have onhand though.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,263 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

They call that a super box? I'm shocked you're the first person to question them on what they are putting in they're "super box" Hopefully they rectify this.

(04-20-2013, 07:35 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: for 109 dollars, i would have given you a much better deal. and a 1/1 for free.
First, just wanted to say, glad you're alright, after all that crap that went down in your hometown!
Second, I guess I've always appreciated that you never really beat us over the head with solicitations and you do more than your share for worthwhile charities, too! But after all this time you've been so low key about it, I have no idea how to view your store or initiate a purchase. I don't think a little self promotion is totally off base.
Let's do some business!
I'd rather see my hard earned dollars go to you than some stranger!

(04-20-2013, 08:33 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: First, just wanted to say, glad you're alright, after all that crap that went down in your hometown!
Second, I guess I've always appreciated that you never really beat us over the head with solicitations and you do more than your share for worthwhile charities, too! But after all this time you've been so low key about it, I have no idea how to view your store or initiate a purchase. I don't think a little self promotion is totally off base.
Let's do some business!
I'd rather see my hard earned dollars go to you than some stranger!
to be honest, i never mentioned it for years because...well...im not the most popular guy on these boards. figured someone would hate bid :p (actually, that ended up happening)

but im also a firm believer in beckett's no spam policy. when people bring up dutch auctions or multilot auctions/grab bags/hot packs/super boxes i weigh in because, well...im kind of the leading expert on the issue. but if everyone started spamming, the boards would be useless. and since i can sell how i sell here on the boards, there isnt really any reason to talk about it

also - and this will sound silly - i put a lot of pressure on myself to try to make my lots good. having folks i "know" bid? thats a lot of pressure :p

but ill send you a pm with my current listing

That is pretty bad for $109 bucks!!! The least they could do is throw in a card that sells for like $50 in those lots. I would be very mad if that was what I got from one of those. But again its a grab bag, grab bags usually consist of cards that won't sell by themselves on the secondary market so they are marketed with a chance to get something great to get people to buy their junk. I always stay away from grab bags like that because I just don't believe that anyone gives away good stuff in em.