`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever see a counterfeit Upper Deck jersey card? +update.

Anyone ever see a counterfeit Upper Deck jersey card? +update.
Ive been working on a set the last couple of months, and one of the key cards I just got. Now that Im looking at it more closely it just seems a lil off to me.

Red Flags:
Cut seems just a hair bigger than compared to another from the same set (cut seems a bit off as well).
The copyright symbol seems a lil faded compared to a different card from same set.
Certain parts are more shiny/dark/or light depending on the area compared to the different player card.
I looked up the last 6 that were on ebay and all seemed to slightly have the same issues, except one that seemed a lil better on those issues.

I also looked through a loop and the printing pattern is very similar and very close, but does not match exactly.

RE: Anyone ever see a counterfeit Upper Deck jersey card?
(04-18-2013, 02:19 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Ive been working on a set the last couple of months, and one of the key cards I just got. Now that Im looking at it more closely it just seems a lil off to me.

Red Flags:
Cut seems just a hair bigger than compared to another from the same set (cut seems a bit off as well).
The copyright symbol seems a lil faded compared to a different card from same set.
Certain parts are more shiny/dark/or light depending on the area compared to the different player card.
I looked up the last 6 that were on ebay and all seemed to slightly have the same issues, except one that seemed a lil better on those issues.

I also looked through a loop and the printing pattern is very similar and very close, but does not match exactly.
Does it have the little Upper Deck Hologram on the back?
That was used specifically by them to prevent counterfeits.

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Post a scan that should help out a lot!!! did you but it on the bay??? Ive seen lots of cards with phony patches on there, but i think your referring to the card being phony as well???
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

It would definitely help if you said specifically what card or set you were concerned about.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Dont have a scanner, and my iphone pics wont help (have an old 4).
Heres the completed auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-UPPER-DECK-...7675.l2557

Heres another completed auction (that is NOT mine):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-UD-PIECE-OF...7675.l2557

Heres another player:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Upper-Deck-...7675.l2557

I notice the difference in shading in the face between the 2 Mays. And the color of the box on the front and slightly more shiny silver color on front is throwing me off.
Also the back of the card the small text seems a lil off center or drop shadow, where as the others its a lil more solid.

RE: Anyone ever see a counterfeit Upper Deck jersey card? +update.
I contacted the seleer and voiced my concerns and asked to return it.
He said that he mailed it on the 3rd and his 14 day return window would mean I wouldve had to return it by the 17th. So no return.
Um....I didnt get it till the 6th. If I mail tomorrow thats the 19th. Thats within 14days.
I have a feeling hes not honoring the policy because I left a positive feedback already.
Undecided

Again, does the back have the hologram? If so, it could be real! If not, it's a fake!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(04-18-2013, 10:31 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Again, does the back have the hologram? If so, it could be real! If not, it's a fake!
It does have the hologram. In the same EXACT spot where the others go.
But being super picky, I looked at it through the loop and the corners of the hologram were just a lil tiny bit rounded compared to another card I have the corners are super sharp.

Okay, I might be the most skeptical of collectors, But i think that you're worrying about nothing bud.

And as a seller, I dont think that would be a reason to just take it back, If its that good of a fake. and he's not selling them like....every week....it wouldnt be worth it to him to make these fakes.

Good Luck to you in your endevors.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios

(04-18-2013, 10:58 PM)x5ofspades Wrote: Okay, I might be the most skeptical of collectors, But i think that you're worrying about nothing bud.

And as a seller, I dont think that would be a reason to just take it back, If its that good of a fake. and he's not selling them like....every week....it wouldnt be worth it to him to make these fakes.

Good Luck to you in your endevors.
I agree...also, it seems like the comparisons are to cards also on auction...of course there would be a difference in color (some scanners scan better than others) to me the card looks legit...as far as the cut of where the jersey goes...sometimes the cutters go off-line a little, if not graded cards would always come back as perfectly centered. If I was the seller I would not refund as well...by the way...I have only sold one card on the bay, I'm usually a buyer and seems weird that I would take the sellers side on this one...LOL!!!