`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd ball items (Baseball)

Odd ball items (Baseball)
I was just in my sports room rearranging some stuff and I picked up these two Mickey Mantle 23K Gold cards I got for Christmas years ago from my dear Great Grandmother, rest her soul. I became aware that at some point in the last 15-17 years the protective plastic on one of them cracked. The top edge is pretty much a lost cause and I'm pretty much devastated over it. I know from a strictly BV point of view it's no biggie but I'm pretty over the top when it comes to sentimental issues.

Anyway I did some research and BGS does slab and grade these things, which grade doesn't matter to me.

However upon further looking, my Babe Ruth Liberia dollar coin's plastic holder is busted too, and also from Great Grandma. I just researched coin grading and there's an authorized dealer near my mother-in-law's house. However since it is a sports item, I'm wondering if it can be slabbed. I'm going to shoot an email to BGS on this front.

I'm guessing my last move where we decided not to empty the shelves when transporting was the mother of all fails.

The third part of this thread is my four "Golden Legends" cards of Honus Wagner, Mel Ott, Lou Gehrig, and Ty Cobb. Again, not high dollar items and already in holders (with their names in gold cursive on the front)...also partly from Grandma, partly from my parents. These amazingly did not get damaged, yet. They show up in the Beckett system with no BV. Using Ebay sales I know what I'm looking at but I can find no graded examples. I'd like to protect these as well but in this case I'm going to resort to some tools to free them and I'm wondering if it'd be worth risking damage.

I guess it doesn't help my wife's spending spring break with her parents 2 hours away and this is my only night off in a 7 day span, so I'm just lonely and bored and now I find damaged stuff from one of the greatest people ever to be in my life.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

RE: Odd ball items (Baseball)
Sorry to hear man. I have nothing to add to your thread except my condolences on the damages. Smile
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I'm so sorry for the damages. I can certainly understand sentimental value. I think that sentimental value often times trumps book value.

Sorry man.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Thanks guys.

I've found examples of "coins" in BGS slabs but they all appear to be issued by card companies. The coin I have appears to be actual 'collectors currency' issued by the Nation of Liberia's mint. I emailed Beckett before the start of business Monday morning so hopefully they respond to me soon. I'd like to get it slabbed (if they offer it) in my next submission or get to a local coin dealer to access their grading avenues.

Also I spoke to my father about the situation and he said as far as he can remember all of the Golden Legends stuff came from my Great Grandmother but I think he's misremembering some things. That's not really an issue though.

Hobby instagram

Thank you very much, Jeff. I still haven't received a reply email from BGS. I'm glad users here can still count on you Smile

Hobby instagram

I have an Armour coin that was slabbed by PSA, I guess this wouldn't be anything close to the same possibility?

No my answer from Beckett said unless it was authorized by Ruth's agency it couldn't be slabbed by a card company.

Hobby instagram