`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Am I wrong about my thoughts on buying boxes?

Am I wrong about my thoughts on buying boxes?
I recently started collecting a different way than I used to. I was buying $200-$300 worth of boxes once every couple weeks. I recently stopped buying boxes and started buying lots of autos and cards that fit my PC. I get the whole chase behind it and I get the great feeling you get like when I bought one pack of absolute and pulled an RG3 auto out of it, I just have seen my PC grow and it is starting to look great. Am I robbing the hobby of box breaking??

RE: Am I wrong about my thoughts on buying boxes?
1 word...NO

You collect how you want to collect (as long as it doesnt involve pack searching, no ones gunna yell at you lol). I recently stopped buying boxes as well (too much non-PC stuff). Focus on your PC and you shall be rewarded with good feelings!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

No worries...the mood to bust wax will strike again.

Until then just get what you actually want..it is a different form of satisfaction

i just look at buying boxes as a form of trade bait to eventually work towards getting what you really want. last year i bought boxes every week during football season and the whole time i only got a few cards i was actually gonna hold onto.

ill still buy boxes every now and again, but im sticking to trading what i got and buying singles until i need more trade bait.
[Image: LqvsVQD.png]

Look at it this way. With box breaking 9 times out of 10 you are just throwing your money away. Just look at the box break section. How many times does someone post a break where you think "yeah I would pay that box price for that stack of cards." Very rarely, unless of course they get a big hit. A lot of times you say "nice break" when they get a $50 card out of a $100 box. It's nuts. You got that Brees for around the price of a pack of Supreme, or less even, and had you actually pulled it you would have felt as though you just won the lottery! But more likely you would have ended up with a Pead jersey /75 as your hit or something. And you're not robbing the hobby of anything. You're just filling a different role. Box breakers need people to buy their cards so they can break more boxes! And yeah a lot of collectors (including myself) still buy boxes here and there but man if I had taken the $$ I've spent on boxes over the years and just bought singles...
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

(03-28-2013, 11:00 PM)Bmml0120 Wrote: I recently started collecting a different way than I used to. I was buying $200-$300 worth of boxes once every couple weeks. I recently stopped buying boxes and started buying lots of autos and cards that fit my PC. I get the whole chase behind it and I get the great feeling you get like when I bought one pack of absolute and pulled an RG3 auto out of it, I just have seen my PC grow and it is starting to look great. Am I robbing the hobby of box breaking??
Your not robbing the hobby.... Someone will always break boxes and the singles will need to be sold to someone..... I used to buy 200-400$ every week or 2 depending on what product is out. I stopped with elite last year... bought like 6 boxes .... and also bought like 5-6 boxes of certified ( my 2 favorite products ) every once in a while I'll buy some mini boxes of sterling or absolute or a pack or 2 of Totally certified. Now I get into a lot of local group breaks at my card shop which is a great way to build your Trade stock as well as your PC.

Granted by not buying boxes you will not get any of the "Good" non-pc cards ...like the luck and griffin rookies. But when you think of it this way.... I want a luck auto rookie .... I can buy 3 boxes of product X and spend 375 on it and most likely not come close to breaking even or pull a luck rookie ... or I can buy 2 Luck rookies with that money and and a few other singles for my PC....

Also your trade stock will deplete fast if you don't bust boxes Smile

Just my 2 cents

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

i bought one box in the past 10 years (2011 topps lineage baseball). i only made back about 60% of what i spent

boxes just aint worth it

I really enjoy opening packs, but found that I get WAY too many cards for teams that I don't collect, and trying to get rid of a bunch of base cards has been annoying to say the least. I know some people don't like breaks online, I found a place that does online breaks that I trust, and I've gotten some good cards, both for my PC and so that I can trade on here, and it sort of takes some of the negatives out of buying boxes/cases. There's still a good chance you may not get anything, which has happened to me a couple times, but I've gotten enough good stuff to counter that, I think. Cool thing is that, especially with the higher end stuff, you can get cards for teams that you like from an entire case, instead of just a box, and depending on the team that you like, you can get stuff for a good price. I had a break on Contenders a while back ago that I got 5 Packers autos and a gold Jennings insert (of course, 3 of the autos were Marc Tyler LOL). I got into that break for 20 bucks.

Now, that may not be for you, so you don't have to try it out. Another thing I've done is I've split boxes/cases with people I know and we all pool money and pick the teams we want beforehand. Then, we open the boxes/cases and divvy up the spoils Smile That works well if you have people you know well enough to not get upset that they don't get something every time, and it does save money on buying stuff.

And, as others have said, you can always buy on the bay. I've done that quite a bit too.

I gave up on boxes a few years ago. I'll buy a blaster from time to time when I get the itch.

Breaking boxes is fun, but there's a new thrill when you can beat someone out of a Bid.
Collecting Falcons, 3 Color or More Patches!
--- 2011 Rookies and Stars Materials Black Prime Longevity 053 out of 106 found. HELP!
[Image: StevenJacksonFalconsSmall.jpg]

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/JHnGA09/library