`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you get into collecting?

How did you get into collecting?
How did you all get started with collecting? I got hooked in '89 when I was 12. I saw some friends trading and bought some packs. I then picked a player to collect (Bo Jackson) and started hunting through flea markets, card shops, and shows. Seems like every weekend there was a new unlicensed card to get.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

RE: How did you get into collecting?
When a girl likes a boy...
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

(03-27-2013, 12:11 AM)tate31nym Wrote: When a girl likes a boy...
The boy has a boyfriend Smile
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(03-27-2013, 01:18 AM)petesahuttt Wrote: The boy has a boyfriend Smile
so true, so true... Unless he holds a press conference to contest that finding.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

I had a friend in high scholl that collected and then I started buying packs at the local pharmacy and then I found a small Card Shop near where my dad lived and that was it, I was hooked on cards and my friend from high school
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

My older brother was always buying packs of cards when I was like 6 years old so naturally I wanted to do it too. So I started buying packs with my allowance every week. When I turned 13 I stopped collecting because I started chasing women around. Then in 2003 I was feeling nastalgic so I went and picked up some of those mixed baseball boxes for $19.99 at Toys R Us and I loved opening packs again and it made me feel like I was 6 years old again and didn't have a care in the world. I love that feeling and thats why I collect. It's a nice escape and I love the time machine feeling I get.

When I was nine mt dad had a friend who gave me a whole box of cards then I was hooked me and my stepmother would go and buy packs at Kmart every week she even started to collect cards with me she was saving them for my little half brother then I quit in high school then three years ago we were at Dave and busters and had won a bunch of tickets I saw a stiener Jason Kidd autographed basketball got like 80,000 tickets so I got that them i started to look for things on ebay and found all theses jersey cards and autos i never even knew exsistedand now I'm hooked more than every I've added thousands of cards and prop a hundred autos since then I'm hooked for life I enjoy collecting more than ever
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

When I was 9 years old all my friends at my school collected cards so I started. I went after the 92 score autographs just trying to one up my friends. Never got one but I got hooked for a few years. When I moved to new location none of my new friends colected so I left the hobby for a little bit. When my first son was born in 02 I got back into the hobby and havent left.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Would get on my bike and take my allowance each week and buy a few packs at the local variety store (remember when packs were 25 cents?). For years just loved sorting and even playing baseball games with them like they were action figures (small balled up piece of masking tape made a great ball, had books in the outfield as fences, if the piece of tape landed within a certain distance of a card playing a position it was an out). Then as I got a tad older started to keep them a bit more secure, and then all of a sudden around 1986 the store had more than just O-Pee-Chee, suddenly there was these brands called Leaf, and Sportflix (God remember Sportflix?) and then these things called Fleer. They were so cool!! Well high school started and instead of the most important thing in my life being that the Tiger's needed a better left fielder this thing called girls came up and the cards ended up in a box. Fast forward 20+ years and the box was rediscovered in my parents basement and oh boy it was fun to see them again. Then in the box I found these: not baseball cards but you can see why they would repeak my interest.
[Image: front.jpg] [Image: front.jpg]

Started looking on-line about cards, and as was stated by Blury1 said above there were all these jersey cards and autos that I knew nothing about. Sucked back in and now it is my number one free time thing to do when the wife and kids are out and about or I'm the only one still awake at night. My 9yr old step-son has a interested/lose interest/interested thing going with them, and I love it when he joins me to sort through cards (Through the large lots I buy to try and fill sets he gets as many dupes as he wants, also baseball season is starting again and he is a catcher on the travel team with us pictured in my sig so that always gets him back into it). I'm working on converting him to full time Tiger's fan but he still puts the Jays number one. Anyways now I try to fill as many base sets from my youth and the present and collect Tiger's Jsy/Parallels/inserts/autos.
Oh and since I'm not a kid anymore my main focus is once again the Tiger's needing to fill a hole, this time at short and not left field. Smile
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I've posted this numerous times before, each time one of these threads pops up.

When this card fell out of my Corn Flakes box into my cereal bowl back in the summer of 1970, I was hooked and never looked back. This was my first of over 350,000 cards and it will be my last after all the others have moved on. This one goes with me when I go. Left shirt pocket. Right over my heart.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html