`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank = all about numbers???

Rank = all about numbers???
So... after adding a few MJ BGS 9.5 cards i was quickly moving up the ranks, but after a little searching of other peoples collections, it seems like a pop 50+ BGS 9.5 gets the same points as a pop 1 BGS 9.5???
Is this how the hole Rank thing works?
Just having the most graded cards will give you a better rank then someone that has rare low pop cards worth 50 times what a everyday graded card is worth?

I really hope this isn't how it works, because i just don't see the point.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

RE: Rank = all about numbers???
Yes - Best doesnt always mean highest book value. I would be pretty upset if I spent numerous hours, days, months to amass 100 Jordan cards worth $1000 and you bought 1 card worth $1000 and all of a sudden you're beating me.

You got some beautiful Jordan cards and I'm sure you wouldnt like to be sitting on top and here I come with my tax money and bought 3 cards that you couldnt afford and knocked you off the top place. The object is completion not highest value.

Also how would you calculate low pop cards? I have a pop 1 Manning card /6 should it be weighted higher than your pop 500 Jordan RC?

When the contests start up - thats when you'll see your hard work pay off.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

ok sure, my post may have come off like i think i deserve more credit then the next guy with less money invested...
how ever, thats not what it was about, i can't understand the point in a registry, all about numbers???
The ONLY good thing i see with it, all about numbers is...
Beckett makes more money on people slabbing cheap cards that to be honest, are not worthy of the $10 it cost to do so....

If this is all about a hobby, then you must admit, numbers = $
were as rare cards that don't grade high often should be what makes the most points....

Thats not to say,i don't slab cheap cards at all, i have about 20 $20 cards slabbed, simply because i have always loved the cards since i was a kid!

So, being a Jordan fan must mean all i want to do is win???

I for one will not buy a single card i don't like, so i will quicky be overtaken and have no problem with that....

I only joined the registry, to see what other people have and maybe find some cards i have been chasing for years...
Wasn't really going to try and compete, as i know of 100's of P.C's better then mine...
What i wasn't expecting, was to see a bunch of cards i find, not worthy of grading....

I can't say i'm a fan of the point system...
BUT, i'll sit the numbers game out, and join a few contest's when they begin...

NOT all Jordan fans are overly competitive....

Jeff that was an awesome read! Loved every word of it.

Hegot - While I see your point and agree mostly with what you're saying I gotta disagree on "worthy of being graded" Personally I love ALL graded cards. I submit some weird cards just because I want to see/own them in a slab. Heck I'm working on getting every single 05-06 Jenny McCarthy basketball release slabbed just because thats what I want in my collection.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-12-2013, 09:06 PM)branesergen Wrote: Jeff that was an awesome read! Loved every word of it.

Hegot - While I see your point and agree mostly with what you're saying I gotta disagree on "worthy of being graded" Personally I love ALL graded cards. I submit some weird cards just because I want to see/own them in a slab. Heck I'm working on getting every single 05-06 Jenny McCarthy basketball release slabbed just because thats what I want in my collection.
all good, i understand some people might like the numbers thing, but its not something i'm into...
I see it like this...
Anyone can buy 200 cheap graded cards off ebay and have a rank better then someone that has spent years finding cards that are some of the most sort after cards to own...

Why its not all about the rare cards is beyond me...

I was trying to add some cards i have, but a few are in the top registry's even though they don't own them....
lol

Anyway, all good, i collect cards i like and always want my cards in gem/mint condition, so it wont stop me collecting MJ 9.5's anytime soon...

Hey Jeff...maybe you can answer a question I have. I collect mostly vintage cards and I try to keep my registries basic rather than master thinking that is how to differeniate between a players regular cards and all the money making cards that the card companies release well after the player stopped playing.

I want to see how my individual player collections compare to other basic only collections. For example, if I want to compare my collection of John Unitas to other but only those that do not include some kind of silly legend card from 2004 that has a 9.5 but only the vintage cards with a high grade. Is there a way to do that or do you just have to look at them all to see what's inside?
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

SGC's registry provides a Power Rating for each card. Using the 1972 O Pee Chee set as an example, the tougher and more desirable cards factor into the Set Superiority and the collector/registry is rewarded accordingly. Clemente's card has a Power Rating of 8 vs Walt Williams who only has a rating of 1 because the Clemente is scarcer and more expensive to acquire.

At the end of the day though, there are choices and I prefer Beckett for Grading, and I don't care if my highest graded BVG 5.5 and ultra scarce 1966 Topps Venezuelan Yastrzemski counts the same as another collector's regular U.S. 1966 Topps Yaz or any other Yaz in the registry. I have a pretty rare card and I'm fine with that.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos