`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps locks up MLB card exclusive until 2020

RE: Topps locks up MLB card exclusive until 2020
This is pretty depressing..... I was really hopeful that Panini was going to get a license, they ake some nice tobacco-sized mini sets that would look alot better with logos and a little less random characters (Loch Ness, Marcia Brady, several horses etc...)
Oh well, let's keep our fingers crossed until 2021
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

i must be going against the grain, but to me, this is a good thing. topps puts out more than enough sets each year already. i think more companies that do it, it makes it less fun as you feel overwhelmed by all of the products. i love topps baseball.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

(03-18-2013, 03:56 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Agreed!!! I dont understand why mlb is creating a monopoly with this......
Because $$$
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

The less licensed card companies there are means that the market won't be flooded with autographs and game used cards. I think having 1 licensed card distributor is plenty as long as they make products that will appeal to every collector. The mid 2000's was starting to get out of hand with all the different brands and sets of cards. I think MLB should put a cap on how many products companies can release for each season. Too much of a good thing is bad.

(03-18-2013, 05:04 PM)phreakyq Wrote: i must be going against the grain, but to me, this is a good thing. topps puts out more than enough sets each year already. i think more companies that do it, it makes it less fun as you feel overwhelmed by all of the products. i love topps baseball.
I to love topps baseball but give more companies a liscense....however, limit each to something like 3 sets a year (1) base set (2) high-end auto/relic packed set and (3) wildcard set...ie whatever they want. They can pack the base with whatever insets or parallel's they want. Also, an exclusive should contain a clause that players MUST sign with the exclusive holder. (someone else can work out the details....my daughter is screaming for some rice krispies!)
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Anyone lamenting the loss of Upper Deck need only look at the lazy products they churned out over the few years leading up to 2010. Their checklists were overly bloated and packed with filler and countless "parallels" of insignificant cards. (Season Biography anyone? Anyone?) I miss some of the whimsical and futuristic designs of some of the Fleer and Donruss products, but Upper Deck--aside from a handful of products--was mostly mailing it in for YEARS.
(03-18-2013, 05:49 PM)joba the clark Wrote: The less licensed card companies there are means that the market won't be flooded with autographs and game used cards. I think having 1 licensed card distributor is plenty as long as they make products that will appeal to every collector. The mid 2000's was starting to get out of hand with all the different brands and sets of cards. I think MLB should put a cap on how many products companies can release for each season. Too much of a good thing is bad.
I imagine it would be tough for multiple card companies to truly be profitable while trying to sign up MLB stars to autograph contracts, etc. Topps benefits enormously from its economies of scale and the fact that it can spread its resources over multiple products. (Like how Topps Chrome uses the same photos as Flagship).

Unless and until the hobby grows, there's really only room for 1 major card company. Splintering the market into 3 or 4 companies would do no one any good. It would just make the whole business model less profitable.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I like the move by MLB...i think Topps puts out enough products without having to have 50+ new baseball products each year watering down autos and game used...

I like panini as a company but they put out way too much product in all their other sports and it would be too hard to keep up with both companies..

the only way i wouldnt mind adding another company is if they had a strict limit on the number of products..

When i think of baseball..Topps is the first company that ops in my mind and glad they got the exclusive instead of some other company..
[Image: arod.gif]

(03-18-2013, 03:50 PM)joba the clark Wrote: Great news, now they just need to get Derek Jeter signing for them.
Yep and good luck with that, guess I will keep on going with the early 2000 Derek Jeter cards after I get most of his 90's stuff in the next few years. I will also probably finish Don Mattingly's collection of his playing years since my father has close to 90% of them already.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

A monopoly for one company is wrong and shouldn't be allowed, its unconstitutional. While were at it lets give walmart the monopoly on their business and make target and kmart close their doors to the U.S. market. I love a lot of topps product but they pump out too much garbage themselves. Opening day, regular topps line and heritage are all garbage in my opinion. This years topps cards are ugly as sin and very unimaginative but they don't have to worry about it since they have a monopoly on the baseball card industry. They can throw out any kind of garbage they want cause they know collectors don't have a choice but to buy it to get our pc stuff. Look at five star, just about every card has damage straight out of the box but topps didn't care they just sent them out anyways. As it was said above limiting the companies would have been the perfect solution.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

+1

(03-19-2013, 01:06 PM)ryanmo5 Wrote: A monopoly for one company is wrong and shouldn't be allowed, its unconstitutional. While were at it lets give walmart the monopoly on their business and make target and kmart close their doors to the U.S. market. I love a lot of topps product but they pump out too much garbage themselves. Opening day, regular topps line and heritage are all garbage in my opinion. This years topps cards are ugly as sin and very unimaginative but they don't have to worry about it since they have a monopoly on the baseball card industry. They can throw out any kind of garbage they want cause they know collectors don't have a choice but to buy it to get our pc stuff. Look at five star, just about every card has damage straight out of the box but topps didn't care they just sent them out anyways. As it was said above limiting the companies would have been the perfect solution.
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]