`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The most iconic Football cards of all time???

The most iconic Football cards of all time???
Hi everyone on the football side of the forums! Smile

Ok so the other day I was at my LCS and we had a discussion of the most iconic sports cards of all time.. And as we were naming them, we realized that there wasn't ONE football card mentioned! Because our list was looking something like this...

T206 Wagner, 51 Bowman Mantle, 52 Topps Mantle, 54 Aaron, 86 Fleer Jordan, 89 UD Griffey, 96 Chrome Bryant, and ect

So it got me thinking... What are the top TRULY iconic football cards that could make this list? For example give me a top 10 to u guys... It just seems like football, with all the different positions and all, plays 3rd fiddle to baseball & basketball... But I LOVE football & I know there must be a ton of iconic cards... What are they?

RE: The most iconic Football cards of all time???
walter payton rookie

1981 Joe Montana Rc.
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

1. 1965 Topps Joe Namath RC

2. 1998 Playoff Contenders Peyton Manning RC

3. 1976 Topps Walter Payton RC

4. 1957 Topps Johnny Unitas RC

5. 1958 Topps Jim Brown RC

6. 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC

7. 1955 Topps All American Jim Thorpe RC

8. 1955 Topps All American Four Horsemen

9. 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski

10. 2001 SP Authentic Michael Vick RC

I don't know about any of the others, but the Namath RC at least belongs on the all sports all time list, IMHO. Possibly even the Manning Contenders RC.
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

Tom Brady Contenders Rookie

Aaron Rodgers Exquisite Rookie

Just a couple that came to mind..

I would also add the Gretzky RC and Bird/Magic RC to the overall list of iconic cards.
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

For me its the 1984 Topps Dan Marino RC. As a kid that was the ONLY card I wanted.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Jerry Rice 1996 Topps RC
Steve Young 1984 Topps USFL RC
Randy Moss 1998 SP Authentic RC

JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

Some great picks guys. Yeah I'm no rookie to the sports card world at all... I know of many legendary football cards.. From the Payton RC to the Contenders Manning to the PTT Sanders/Payton ect ect...

But not including the due hard card know it all's ... There are very few truly ICONIC cards that even the average Joe knows about... For example the '52 Mantle is probably baseballs most popular.. The 86 Fleer Jordan is basketballs.. The 79-80 OPC Gretzky is Hockey's... What is footballs??? See what I mean.. No true single iconic card that defines the FB hobby per say... My best guess would be the Montana RC

this should be in the mix as well

[Image: 48LeafBaugh.jpg]
Finally Completed!!!
[Image: CruzRainbow_zpsabe5dffb.jpg]