`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Mike Trout moving to LF?

Mike Trout moving to LF?
Just read on ESPN that the Angels are planning to use Mike Trout in LF this season, while Peter Bourjos plays CF. -I get it that Bourjos is a good fielder in his own right, and is probably the fastest guy in baseball. But still, why would you force a position change on your best player? Do they really expect to get better defensive production out of Bourjos? Enough to make a difference?

On a side note, the article mainly talked about the Angels renewing Trout's contract for "only" $510,000, which is $20k above league minimum. Even though the Angels have the right to exercise that option, teams in similar situations have usually been more generous. (e.g., The Brewers doubled Braun's salary to $1m in 2007 when he won rookie of the year).

What do you guys think?

Here's the article: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story...0k-minimum
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

RE: Mike Trout moving to LF?
Yep and reports are he is madder than a hornet about it and already throwing fits. That plus the fact they restructured his contract to only $510 K instead of the huge raise he thought he was getting.

This kids attitude has taken a complete 360 from last year.

He comes into camp grossly out of shape and he just has this " I've made it " attitude after only doing for 1 yr. what some stars have done for 10 yrs. or more.

Quote: TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Los Angeles Angels renewed the contract of AL Rookie of the Year Mike Trout for $510,000, prompting an angry response from the outfielder's agent.

Craig Landis said his client was disappointed with the decision announced Saturday. The salary is $20,000 above the major league minimum.

"During the process, on behalf of Mike, I asked only that the Angels compensate Mike fairly for his historic 2012 season, given his service time," Landis said in a statement. "In my opinion, this contract falls well short of a 'fair' contract and I have voiced this to the Angels throughout the process. Nonetheless, the renewal of Mike's contract will put an end (to) this discussion."

"Mike, himself, does not wish to comment on this matter," Landis said. "As when he learned he would not be the team's primary center fielder for the upcoming season, Mike will put the disappointment behind him and focus on helping the Angels reach their goal of winning the 2013 World Series."

Grossly out of shape? Where do you get that? Everything I've read and seen on MLB network said he's about 30 pounds heavier than last year, but it's muscle - he's got 9% body fat from what I've read.

Kepler

that doesnt sound like trout being a D*bag, just his agent. granted, im sure he's upset, but his agent says, "Mike, himself, does not wish to comment on this matter," so he's staying quiet publicly.

moving him to LF isn't surprising. yes, he is a great CF, but his role is to hit. thats the org protecting the future of the franchise. do i believe this is a good move, no. let him stay in center and put your $20 Mil bench player in LF.

The Angels have money, but dont always think things through.

also, if you look at the deal they gave hamiltion, it ends at the same time Trout becomes a free agent...
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

Good read and similar to what I've read everywhere else - not just the local beat writers.
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/16/...s-20130217
Kepler

I didn't read the article and only read your post but if the other guy is a good fielder as well, AND faster, then he's the one I would want in CF especially if Trout put on weight which, regardless if it was fat or muscle, I assume he would lose a step anyway. Plus, LF is less demanding than CF and Trout is probably THE guy you want to stay safe on that team.

(03-02-2013, 09:36 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I didn't read the article and only read your post but if the other guy is a good fielder as well, AND faster, then he's the one I would want in CF especially if Trout put on weight which, regardless if it was fat or muscle, I assume he would lose a step anyway. Plus, LF is less demanding than CF and Trout is probably THE guy you want to stay safe on that team.
this right here. I think it would be foolish not to move him to LF with such a good CF option available to fill that role

Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

Slightly off topic.... Is it normal that the first time I saw hamilton in that jersey the first thing I though was.... TRADER! Im not even an angels fan. That would be like kemp going to the giants, or Posey going to the dodgers....
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

(03-03-2013, 12:02 AM)daddys lil all star Wrote: Slightly off topic.... Is it normal that the first time I saw hamilton in that jersey the first thing I though was.... TRADER! Im not even an angels fan. That would be like kemp going to the giants, or Posey going to the dodgers....
i don't think i'd call Hamilton a trader after only playing 4 years there. he's played for 4 different orgs in his career now. Came up with the rays, got a 2nd chance with the Reds, went to texas for a few years, and now off to LA for a few more.

if anyone on that staff is a traitor its pujols. 10+ years with the org, came up with and cherished everywhere only to leave w/o any real reason/expatiation for 20 years with a new org.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

(03-03-2013, 12:12 AM)phreakyq Wrote: i don't think i'd call Hamilton a trader after only playing 4 years there. he's played for 4 different orgs in his career now. Came up with the rays, got a 2nd chance with the Reds, went to texas for a few years, and now off to LA for a few more.

if anyone on that staff is a traitor its pujols. 10+ years with the org, came up with and cherished everywhere only to leave w/o any real reason/expatiation for 20 years with a new org.
I understand but the difference is he went to a Rival teams org. Cardinals and Angels never see each other. Texas and Anaheim Angels do. Thats the reason why.

I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331