`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?

Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?
Just something I have been pondering. The MJ insert market has been booming for a hot minute now. It seems to have taken eyes off some of the early MJ cards. I have been lucky to scoop some great cards at very reasonable prices. There are some amazingly low pop cards out there from MJs early days that seem to be flying under the radar and I feel that the big focus on the late 90s inserts is part of the reason.

I know there are a ton of guys here collecting the inserts and my question is, will any of you eventually shift focus to his 80's cards (Star, Prism, Panini's etc) or will these continue to fade compared to the serial numbers, autos, game used etc.

RE: Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?
most 80's cards are crap....theres only a few worth gathering.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

I personally love the 80's cards bro. I think eventually the 90's insert bubble will burst & it'll come back down to earth a little. No matter what though those inserts are gonna stay on the hot list forever because the more time that goes by, the more it becomes crystal clear that MJ truly was the GOAT & will never be replaced! If neither Kobe nor LeBron could do it, what are the odds that any other coming along will? And there's simply nothing cooler then owning rare inserts that were actually made WHILE HE WAS PLAYING in his dominant era!!! But those 80's cards are definitely overlooked & should pick up steam real soon!

Other than the 87 RC, Prizm and Star, what are you talking about? The 80's had a bunch of base cards. Thats it. No one will ever be paying the same they are for 90's inserts on base cards produced by the millions. You may like the 80's cards, but other than those few, they will never reach the popularity of the 90's inserts. The 90's inserts didn't just start being hot either. The've been hot since day 1.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

Not this hot bro. And I was mainly speaking of the RC, second year, third years, stickers, stars, ect... Don't be a smarty pants with me homie! Duh the 90's inserts will always be worth more then 80's, but when did I ever say they wouldn't????? Learn 2 read!

(02-22-2013, 05:32 PM)quavis Wrote: Other than the 87 RC, Prizm and Star, what are you talking about? The 80's had a bunch of base cards. Thats it. No one will ever be paying the same they are for 90's inserts on base cards produced by the millions. You may like the 80's cards, but other than those few, they will never reach the popularity of the 90's inserts. The 90's inserts didn't just start being hot either. The've been hot since day 1.
87-88 fleer actually had a far smaller print run than the 86-87 due to how poorly received the 86 set was when it came out. Find me truly high grade Jordan second years, it is not very easy. Same goes for the stickers from the first 3 years of fleer.

84 Star also has his #288 and Olympic special, both are serious cards and very tough to find in high grade. His second year star is also a great card.

Prism sticker is an amazing oddball but there are others that fly under the radar. The gigantes card comes to mind as a serious low pop card with a stunning image. Check the Merchante Spanish cards as well for a jaw droppingly low pop early MJ cards. The Bulls Interlake is another one that is slept on.

They may not be mainstream but MJ has some amazing, truly scarce early issues.

As far as the inserts, they have always been very popular but have really exploded in recent years. I don't think they will ever see a drop in price. This thread was more to wonder if collectors will eventually burn out on the chase for these rare, high end inserts and begin to seek out some key, super rare early MJs.

I don't see how all these post retirement MJ cards stay more popular an truly rare very early cards. Not looking to compare the two, both have their place in the hobby and both have some mega sweet cards. It's a to each his own thing but just curious as to why no one looks for these amazing early MJ cards.

The ENTIRE MJ market is in a down turn and has been for the last 6 months....
I expect to see the market to drop even further because i'm seeing less and less 90's inserts even being listed....
People are not paying the same amount for 90's inserts we were seeing 12 months ago, seems to be a 20-30% drop in overall and only the extremely rare cards still holding a high selling value...

Like any market, it has ups and downs...
MJ will always be the most collected player so i would never worry about the downs, its just a good time to buy.....

As for 80's MJ cards.....
There are a few people that collect them and are more then willing to pay extreme amounts of money for cards in BGS 9.5....

I know of a guy in Australia, that is only a few cards off having EVERY sinlge pre 1995 MJ card in BGS 9.5 there is....
So when the cards that are rarely seen from the 80's come up the sale in BGS 9.5, i would expect to see a few people get in bidding wars to secure them!
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

Most of us here all love the 90's inserts that were cool in design and style and also hard to pull. But what we have to remember is that the kids growing up now say "Jordan who?" Sure they will eventually learn who he was and realize its the same guy who makes the shoes they buy, but they will NEVER be Jordan fans like most of us who grew up watching him play. The same with Barkley, Pippen, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson and all those other guys who are the faces for those great 90's inserts.

Once we all die off or just get tired of spending our money for 90's inserts they will take an extreme drop. They will not disappear, but the $200BV Jordan cards selling for $1900 in BGS 9.5 is going to come to an end. This has nothing to do with the greatness of Jordan and everything to do with a new crop of younger collectors who just don't appreciate him like we do.

High grade RC's of HOF players should always hold their value and possibly go up depending on print runs, grade, etc. But even that I wonder about. Just bought 2 PSA 10 Carmelo Anthony Topps Chrome RC's for $19 +$3 shipping thats $11 each for PSA 10! Thats a crime. Carmelo is one of the top 10 offensive threats in the game today. Maybe even top 5.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

I have noticed recently that a lot of MJ cards are selling for a lot cheaper. I am actually nervous because in the past year I have invested some good money assuming that the values would stay consistent. They have not. Collecting MJ reminds me of having stock. It is up and down, good and bad. Although MJ cards are rarely "Bad" but a lot of the cards have dropped noticably in value (sell value)

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(02-22-2013, 06:57 PM)briankort Wrote: Most of us here all love the 90's inserts that were cool in design and style and also hard to pull. But what we have to remember is that the kids growing up now say "Jordan who?" Sure they will eventually learn who he was and realize its the same guy who makes the shoes they buy, but they will NEVER be Jordan fans like most of us who grew up watching him play. The same with Barkley, Pippen, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson and all those other guys who are the faces for those great 90's inserts.

Once we all die off or just get tired of spending our money for 90's inserts they will take an extreme drop. They will not disappear, but the $200BV Jordan cards selling for $1900 in BGS 9.5 is going to come to an end. This has nothing to do with the greatness of Jordan and everything to do with a new crop of younger collectors who just don't appreciate him like we do.

High grade RC's of HOF players should always hold their value and possibly go up depending on print runs, grade, etc. But even that I wonder about. Just bought 2 PSA 10 Carmelo Anthony Topps Chrome RC's for $19 +$3 shipping thats $11 each for PSA 10! Thats a crime. Carmelo is one of the top 10 offensive threats in the game today. Maybe even top 5.
I would never worry about MJ cards making a huge decline in value simply because he is the G.O.A.T and will always have the biggest following, including 20 years from now!
In the past few years MJ 90's insert went on a big boom and everything was selling for more then normal, all we are seeing now is the end of a boom....
Expect to see a 20-30% drop in value across the board on most MJ's...

But, in a year or two when the cycle of the market picks up again, don't think for a second we wont see all time high's....

NOW is the best time to buy, MJ will never be forgotten....

Can you imagine what the market will do when he dies??? :-(
MJ is the best investment on earth.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]