`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?

RE: Jordan Insert craze, will it stay strong or eventual slow down?
I think the newer stuff with him in his college jersey will take the biggest hit....

Some really great opinions coming out. Glad this grout out a healthy hobby discussion.

I think both zinger and troubless nailed it. I don't think there is a much safer bet out there than MJ and something tells me that both the high end insert, midrange insert and older MJs will all stay strong over time.

The insert market has been white hot and the Fleer and star are seminal cards that any MJ collecto would need. I know a a ton of vintage baseball guys that still have added those two MJs to there collectio so I think those too will stay strong. God help us if PSA starts stabbing star cards...I think that would push it to insane prices.

While I may have a soft spot for them as they are my collections focus, I do think very early, extreme low pop cards like the prism, merchante, gigante and Interlake will gain some interest after people have exhausted on the inserts.

Lets not forget, there is little to no film on Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, mantle...yet they continue to have huge followings. Tape on Jordan is abundant and future generations will all be able to see him in action. Every major player is compared to him so its only logical that generations to come will seek out footage if him and be in awe as we all were. Hell, look at the lines the guy's sneakers still generate... Websites crashed a week ago for a retro of a 25 yr old Air Jordan...his value will not dip across the board IMO.

(02-23-2013, 02:07 PM)Troubless Wrote: The card market works pretty much like the stock market: supply and demand drives everything. The short term movements are dominated by speculators who are mainly after a quick buck. Buying what's hot in the hope of selling it quickly with a profit. The long term trend is determined by investors, in this case collectors. I haven't been back in the collecting game long enough to be able to determine if speculators have been pushing up 90's inserts into a bubble, but what seems pretty obvious to me is that more and more rare 90's inserts are finding their way into PCs and won't be on the market any more. That means that in future supply is going to dry up and demand is going to remain high as new collectors want to get their hand on the holy grail. The only thing that could have a long term negative impact on all Jordan cards would be if the great man himself did something really stupid, but fingers crossed, he is far to intelligent for that.
+1 very nicely said. It is true because a lot of MJs insert cards are becoming less and less rare on Ebay. Once they do hit Ebay, they still sell extremely high. Some of his more common, mid range inserts are taking a hit because they are not as scarce.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(02-23-2013, 02:13 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Troubless, that is one of the coolest banners I have ever seen!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I found it on Rare23Air's website and just resized and cropped it to fit.
[Image: Sig_zps7c9cccea.jpg]