`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Wanted to share

Wanted to share
Wanted to share a story with you guys. me and gunnar went to a show on sat and talked a lot on the way there and way home as it was a hour drive either way. he asked me who i collected when i was growing up told him rickey henderson. he asked all the 9 year old questions who he was what he played what he did..etc etc. he asked what happened to all his cards i had i told him that someone had broken in to my shop and stole my PC in 95 among other things. fast foward to today we are planing to attend a show here locally sun, i had my chemo today so i couldnt pick him up from school. so mom went and got him.

i am lying in the bed when he gets home as the nurse had just left from hooking me up to the infusion pump for the next 2 days of my treatment, he comes in the bed room all excited and hands me a present. at this point in the day i am pretty run down but i am kinda takin back bye it, hes like "open it open it" "ok, ok" so i tear the paper back 81 topps rickey henderson i sit and stare at it as i cant believe that my 9 year old has done this he said "now you can collect the person you like i can get my vottos and you can get your hendersons" he spent his allowance for the week on the card for me from a card shop my wife took him too today after school. i cant describe how this made me feel it took me back to the first time i had that same card in my hand at 11, it made me forget about my day for the next 15 ,20 mins it truly is the little things, i think this touched me more than anything has in the last 20 plus years thanks for reading guys! guess ill be starting my collection again, Thank you Gunnar. i just wanted to share a little bit of my day anyone else have any good stories?

RE: Wanted to share
My story isn't nearly as good as yours but it involves my kid doing something very similar for me today. When I was a kid, the only baseball player I collected really was Nolan Ryan. I had almost every major issue Ryan card from 1971 to the early 90's. When my daughter, Bella, started getting into baseball and cards a few years back, she was all about the Brewers(we are from Wisconsin), which was cool with me as we go to about a dozen games every year, and the Yankees (CC Sabathia pitched for the Brewers in the first game we went to at Miller Park). A few weeks back, she pulled a 2011 Topps Hope Diamond Mickey Mantle SP out of a blaster from Walmart and she thought it was so cool because 1) it was sparkly and serial numbered (she is very keen towards S/N cards) and 2) it was a Yankee. Fast forward to a few days ago and we get a trade offer: a 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan for, what turns out to be, that Mantle Hope Diamond. That 1970 Topps style and the photo of Ryan on that card was always one of my favorites but I usually consult with Bella on all trades and always leave the final decision up to her if it involves a card she pulled. She knows that Nolan Ryan was my favorite player when I was a kid but I knew how much she dug that Mantle so I figured there would be no way she would let it go for a guy who was never a Brewer OR a Yankee. She looked right at me and told me to make the trade because we get every card we can find of Jonathan Lucroy(her #1 guy) so we should do the same for the cards of my #1 guy from when I was her age. Needless to say, I was amazed at her compassion and thoughtfulness and it reminded me how luck I am to not only have her as my daughter but as my collecting partner, as well.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Love it!!!!! it isnt it amazing how kids think

Absolutely! With all the external stuff that could skew their judgement, we must be doing something right!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Great stories. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: rxDwab1.png]
Collector of Yoenis Cespedes, Jose Canseco and other Oakland Athletics of the past and present

Awesome!!!! If my son did something like that for me I would probably still be crying. Good luck with the chemo....get better!!!!
(02-20-2013, 09:58 PM)chadomac Wrote: Wanted to share a story with you guys. me and gunnar went to a show on sat and talked a lot on the way there and way home as it was a hour drive either way. he asked me who i collected when i was growing up told him rickey henderson. he asked all the 9 year old questions who he was what he played what he did..etc etc. he asked what happened to all his cards i had i told him that someone had broken in to my shop and stole my PC in 95 among other things. fast foward to today we are planing to attend a show here locally sun, i had my chemo today so i couldnt pick him up from school. so mom went and got him.

i am lying in the bed when he gets home as the nurse had just left from hooking me up to the infusion pump for the next 2 days of my treatment, he comes in the bed room all excited and hands me a present. at this point in the day i am pretty run down but i am kinda takin back bye it, hes like "open it open it" "ok, ok" so i tear the paper back 81 topps rickey henderson i sit and stare at it as i cant believe that my 9 year old has done this he said "now you can collect the person you like i can get my vottos and you can get your hendersons" he spent his allowance for the week on the card for me from a card shop my wife took him too today after school. i cant describe how this made me feel it took me back to the first time i had that same card in my hand at 11, it made me forget about my day for the next 15 ,20 mins it truly is the little things, i think this touched me more than anything has in the last 20 plus years thanks for reading guys! guess ill be starting my collection again, Thank you Gunnar. i just wanted to share a little bit of my day anyone else have any good stories?

(02-21-2013, 08:14 AM)joba the clark Wrote: Awesome!!!! If my son did something like that for me I would probably still be crying. Good luck with the chemo....get better!!!!
No I need anew keyboard..mine is all WET!!!

God Bless

Hey chad, read your story and was really touched. I had a similar experience with my mom when she was going through her treatments. Send me a PM, it's nothing great, but i have a card i'd like to send you

Chad PM me also I am a StageIV Hodgkins survivor.

Great stories.....really touching and thanks for sharing. Good luck with your traetments....get yourself better! Man I'm starting to get all misty eyed, my oldest is around your guy's age. God bless, you are in our prayers.

On a lighter side....my daughters (& wife) would just as soon set a fire to my cards! LOL........
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.