`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How do sticker issues affect auto values?

How do sticker issues affect auto values?
I purchased a 2006 Brett Favre Silver Signatures Playoff NFL Playoffs auto (#d /25) a number of years ago, probably right after this set came out, and for several years after it came out, everything was cool with it.

But, over the last year or so, the sticker with the auto on it formed a bubble behind it. Now, the sticker is still in the panel that it was stuck in, these cards had the holographic metal sticker behind the cardboard, and it's still in pristine shape. I've had it in a screw down case since I got it, as well.

Now, my question is, if you can't guess from the thread subject Smile, how does this affect the value of the card? The sticker isn't creased, and it doesn't look damaged, there's just a bubble in the middle of it. I had thought about opening the case up and trying to push the bubble out and try to smooth the sticker again, but I don't want to adversely affect it. I can get a scan of it if it would help to explain what I'm describing, but figured I'd get people's opinion on it. Does this knock the condition down a notch? So, if it's a 9 now, which would be my guess as to what it is otherwise, does that knock it down to an 8.5 or an 8? Not that it really would bother me if it does, just curious as to how it affects things.

RE: How do sticker issues affect auto values?
DONT TRY AND PUSH DOWN THE BUBBLE! That will most likely make it worse, think...you could have 2 small ones instead of a big one! Heres becketts auto grading scale directly from their site:

10 - A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.

9 - This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.

8 - At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.

7 - Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.

6 - Heavy flaws are easily visible and highly distracting, including bubbling to the point of portions of the autograph being essentially invisible, extremely distracting scratching, yellowing or fading, or significantly smeared ink on multiple areas of the autograph. Up to 35% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing. Several letters of the signature may run off the card, bleeding onto the edge or opposite side of the card.

5 - Very heavy flaws that highly distract from the autograph, including portions of the autograph being completely removed or invisible, catastrophic scratching throughout the entire autograph, extremely heavy yellowing, massive fading of the entire signature, smeared ink throughout the entire autograph. Over 50% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing.

Hope this helps!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Yeah, I kind of figured that trying to do something with it would make it worse, which is why I haven't done anything to it. But, being a programmer/problem solver, I like fixing things, so there is a part of me that wants to try to fix it. I've had a hard time fighting that urge, but getting confirmation not to makes it easier. The signature itself is pretty well centered, and all of it is visible, but the bubble behind it is about a quarter inch long and an eighth of an inch wide on the top towards the right had side of the sticker. It probably rates as an 8, only because the bubble does distract from the actual auto.

It's weird, though, I have a Greg Jennings auto from the same set, numbered to 150, which I actually got in a box before I got the Favre, and it is in perfect condition. No bubbling or anything. Ah, oh well, luck of the draw I guess...

So, my scanner does not like cards being in screw down cases, so the card itself is blurry, while the screw on the case looks sharp lol

Anyhow, this is what the bubble looks like. It almost even looks like there is another one towards the upper right hand side of the sticker as well, but that's far away from the auto. Now, I hadn't noticed that the bubble is now the height of the sticker, but as you can see, it doesn't actually affect the auto.

Now, just out of curiosity, I know Donruss/Playoff are no longer in existence, being bought out by Panini, but if I were to send them a text or something, would they be able to fix it? I'm guessing probably not, but couldn't hurt to ask to see if it's at least possible....

One of my two worst fears right there. Peeling/bubbling sticker autos and fading on card autos. Those kind of things keep me up at night...
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.