`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Postal Rates--maybe some help

US Postal Rates--maybe some help
Just posted this thread in the Baseball forum.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1528010.html

Maybe the answer to US shipping costs to Canada? No idea but if it helps will go through with it.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: US Postal Rates--maybe some help
Yes, but here in lies the problem. USPS is very inconsistent from PO to PO. One probably shipped it as International Large Envelope(lower rate) and the other International Small Package. That really stinks because my PO always ships small package. Can I ask did 1 have a customs form and the other didn't?
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

(02-20-2013, 11:36 AM)pens1fan Wrote: Yes, but here in lies the problem. USPS is very inconsistent from PO to PO. One probably shipped it as International Large Envelope(lower rate) and the other International Small Package. That really stinks because my PO always ships small package. Can I ask did 1 have a customs form and the other didn't?
There is the difference, the cheaper one is stamped First Class in red. The more expensive has the green customs sticker on the back. Going the other way I ship oversized letter and it costs $2.20 every time. No customs sticker. My PO used to ship small package, when I asked what the difference is they said oversize letter was for paper. I informed them that baseball cards are made of paper and voila---
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Yeah, the paper rule seems to be the crux of it. First time I went, the lady asked me what it was. I said hockey cards and she said "so paper, Ok". Now any time I'm asked it's paper.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

All US mail going to Canada or international is First Class, unless goes Priority or Express. Probably the PO just stamped the little First Class on one. The kicker is this the customs form!!!! As soon as you put a customs form on the mailer it is sent First Class International Package, not First Class International Large Envelope(which is the cheaper rate).
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

(02-20-2013, 02:46 PM)pens1fan Wrote: All US mail going to Canada or international is First Class, unless goes Priority or Express. Probably the PO just stamped the little First Class on one. The kicker is this the customs form!!!! As soon as you put a customs form on the mailer it is sent First Class International Package, not First Class International Large Envelope(which is the cheaper rate).
Yeah. If you keep it under a certain size no customs form necessary, up here, at least.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

" printed material " does not need a customs form thru Canada post, so when asked that is what I tell the postie, I also only use the outlet at shoppers drug mart. Until I get back home to Ontario where the post office knows me and is very good about the customs form. The other secret or trick is to keep the package under 20 mm in thickness and under 100 grams in weight. This will get you the least expensive rate.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

And if you think the package will be to big to go as a large envelope cheaper to send 2 packages than to keep in 1 and send as a parcel.

Here is what I do
take a 6x9 regular envelope-- no bubble mailers as they don't take much to be to thick.

Cut 2 pieces of like cereal box cardboard just smaller than the envelope and tape the card(s) inside of that. Still flexible enough to go as large envelope. If you use thicker box cardboard they may still send it as a parcel.
To go at the cheaper rate it does need to be a little flexible.